• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Females and solo travel

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
If there was anything that told about any country more than much else it might be this - as to females travelling alone within a country. Given that I have done much as the female in this article, although my cycling was done in probably more open countries as to freedoms and where I would never have had her experiences.

"Why are you alone?" Asked the Turkish policeman as he pulled me over to the side of the road. We were 1500m up in the remote Anatolian mountains and this was not exactly what I had expected to greet me at the top of the steep climb, but I dutifully parked my bike and did my best to explain myself. "I am cycling to England," I replied to the puzzled officer. A woman cycling alone attracts quite a lot of attention anywhere, and this police officer (who, for the record, let me go after an hour) was not the first, or the last, to enquire as to what I was doing without a companion, in December, heading north into the wind.

This perhaps says more about the various countries one might cycle through than much else, and as to attitudes towards females, even though it is probably apparent to many females who do solo travelling as to this still being a lot more dangerous than for any males (especially so in many countries) - when it just shouldn't be - so why is this and still so?

Culture or religion or both, and will such ever change?

anna.

but mostly it's the same
If there was anything that told about any country more than much else it might be this - as to females travelling alone within a country. Given that I have done much as the female in this article, although my cycling was done in probably more open countries as to freedoms and where I would never have had her experiences.

This perhaps says more about the various countries one might cycle through than much else, and as to attitudes towards females, even though it is probably apparent to many females who do solo travelling as to this still being a lot more dangerous than for any males (especially so in many countries) - when it just shouldn't be - so why is this and still so?

I would never cycle across countries by myself (whether cities or desolate places, both have their dangers), nor would I use a couch surfing app if I was alone. That nothing happened to this woman is counter to far too many stories of bad endings. I don't think it will ever change.

Audie

Veteran Member
Movies have mysterious fog and
and danger- music.

That those in danger ignore.

Im pretty good at situational awareness,
as any big city girl has to be.

Hyper vigilant now, and no way on
Earth Id be out alone on a bicycle.

Theres always going to be predators.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Sexism and misogyny, friend. Sexism and misogyny. Which is, unfortunately perennial as we've seen with the attacks on women's rights in even a so-called bastion of freedom, the United States of America.

Reasons why feminism is still, and will likely always, be needed - at least if one doesn't favor cultural models where oppression based on possession of certain types of genitals is the norm. And folks wonder why I wouldn't be happy as a hippie of humans deleted sex entirely from the whole species...

Tamino

Both culture and religion... and the wide-spread idea of confining women in order to control their reproduction that has been in fashion since the Bronze Age.
It won't change unless we make it change.
Hyper vigilant now, and no way on
Earth Id be out alone on a bicycle.

Theres always going to be predators.
So you will let those hypothetical predators chain you and restrict your movement?
Your choice, of course...

I never let that stop me. I would rather face danger than be confined to certain areas.

It usually turned out to be far less dangerous than expected.

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Solo traveling can be dangerous for guys too.
I'm not the only male biker who's been run
down on purpose. One friend even had the
driver stop to come over & kick him as he
lay in a ditch, still strapped to his pedals.

Were it not for my ancient Bell helmet, you
might not be enjoying my wonderful posts.

Audie

Veteran Member
Both culture and religion... and the wide-spread idea of confining women in order to control their reproduction that has been in fashion since the Bronze Age.
It won't change unless we make it change.

So you will let those hypothetical predators chain you and restrict your move
The one who put me in the ICU was
not hypothetical.
Let us know when you've a quick fix
for ptsd.
Am exact way to determine whats risk
free, whats reckless would also be terrif.

Shaul

Premium Member
There is a difference between sexual and sexist. Solo female travelers face particular risks. Being cognizant of that, and adjusting behavior accordingly, doesn't mean one is sexist. As in many things, assuming the motives of others creates needless strife.

Tamino

The one who put me in the ICU was
not hypothetical.
I am so sorry to hear that.
Am exact way to determine whats risk
free, whats reckless would also be terrif.
Yeah, that doesn't exist. Any risk assessment can be off, there's never a 100% certainty.

But staying home is not the solution. If you, individually, choose to stay home or in groups for protection, that's your choice and your right.

But we, collectively? If we just huddle and keep quiet things won't change and any "predators" will just be encouraged.
We need to go out there and claim the roads and public spaces. We need to state that this is our world and our space, too, and we have a right to move freely and without fear.

If enough women just dare and do it, if they walk in the dark and cycle across the country and travel alone, it will be accepted as normal eventually. Yeah, that's potentially dangerous for the individual. I'm aware. I do it anyways.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

I'm pretty well travelled, in some countries i would not go out alone. Even with a male to tag along the atmosphere can be oppressive, even frightening.

I think some religions drive it, making women to be second class citizens, that has guided the culture.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

It may be culture or religion in some countries. Maybe it seems strange in some cultures if a woman is traveling alone. Personally, it never really dawned on me. If I see a woman traveling alone somewhere, it's no issue to me where she's going or why.

In some cities or regions, it might be inadvisable to go around alone after dark - although this could also apply to males as well. But that would be reflective of the propensity towards street crime which most cultures and religions would frown upon. But that's a reality which society has to contend with, and individuals have to deal with a certain degree of personal "risk management" of sorts.

Apart from that, I think it's pretty well-established that humans have a right to travel and that male humans and female humans have equal rights. This is not practiced in every country, and this article would indicate there may be some cultural, religious, or possibly even legal restrictions against women traveling alone.

I am reminded of a story a woman at work was telling me. She's a bit of a leadfoot when she drives, so she got pulled over by a cop, who sounded really kind of mad and forceful, perhaps thinking the driver was male, but when she got out and he saw it was a young woman, his demeanor immediately changed to more of a nice "fatherly" tone. "Oh no, honey, you don't want to drive so fast. You could get into a wreck and seriously hurt, sweetie." She was just given a warning.

Shaul

Premium Member
I have traveled as a solo male to some quite dangerous places I would never suggest a solo female traveler go. That is very unfair but it is a real part of how things are in this world.

Audie

Veteran Member
I am so sorry to hear that.

Yeah, that doesn't exist. Any risk assessment can be off, there's never a 100% certainty.

But staying home is not the solution. If you, individually, choose to stay home or in groups for protection, that's your choice and your right.

But we, collectively? If we just huddle and keep quiet things won't change and any "predators" will just be encouraged.
We need to go out there and claim the roads and public spaces. We need to state that this is our world and our space, too, and we have a right to move freely and without fear.

If enough women just dare and do it, if they walk in the dark and cycle across the country and travel alone, it will be accepted as normal eventually. Yeah, that's potentially dangerous for the individual. I'm aware. I do it anyways.
All true.
Add in that the more who dare,
the more will be picked off, and,
the more normal the attrition will
be.
I wish you luck, and hope you go
forth armed.

Too bad I wasnt.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
All true.