• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Feeling called back to the Qur'an, but I'm confused...help?

MatthiasGould

Alhamdulillah!
I really don't know what's going on here, but it's leaving me confused.

Some people on here may remember this, as there was a time when I considered conversion to Islam, and was seriously studying Islam. Skipping forward to more recently, I found myself decently sure that Sikhism is the right choice for me.

My confusion comes because I still hold a massive amount of fascination about the Qur'an and it seems that each time I try and abandon my Qur'an reading/study, all that seems to happen is that I come back and begin studying again. I simply cannot shake off the hold that the Qur'an has on me.

It's deeply confusing to me, particularly as I was so close to converting to Islam originally. So, what's going on?

Gharib

I want Khilafah back
Maybe the verse below can explain what you are feeling if it is that your faith in Islam and in the Qur'an becomes stronger when you read it.

The believers are only those who, when Allah is mentioned, feel a fear in their hearts and when His Verses (this Qur'an) are recited unto them, they (i.e. the Verses) increase their Faith; and they put their trust in their Lord (Alone);
(Al-Anfal, Chapter #8, Verse #2)

Other than that I don't really know what to say. If you are so drawn to it then maybe give both Islam and Sikhism a chance and see which seems right. After all you don't want to believe in a religion so long as it conforms to your desires. The truth at times becomes a challenge for us even though it is the right thing to do, however, that's what we should strive to follow regardless of how disliking it is to us.

Union

One suggestion , don't fall in the trap of Hadeeth , Tafsir , Madhab , Imams etc . Study Qur'an with no bias . Thats my twopence .:eek:

MatthiasGould

Alhamdulillah!
Maybe the verse below can explain what you are feeling if it is that your faith in Islam and in the Qur'an becomes stronger when you read it.

The believers are only those who, when Allah is mentioned, feel a fear in their hearts and when His Verses (this Qur'an) are recited unto them, they (i.e. the Verses) increase their Faith; and they put their trust in their Lord (Alone);
(Al-Anfal, Chapter #8, Verse #2)

Other than that I don't really know what to say. If you are so drawn to it then maybe give both Islam and Sikhism a chance and see which seems right. After all you don't want to believe in a religion so long as it conforms to your desires. The truth at times becomes a challenge for us even though it is the right thing to do, however, that's what we should strive to follow regardless of how disliking it is to us.

If I truly believed Islam was the truth, I'd do anything that was required of me.

One suggestion , don't fall in the trap of Hadeeth , Tafsir , Madhab , Imams etc . Study Qur'an with no bias . Thats my twopence .:eek:

To be fair I've tried reading the hadith and they're quite off-putting. I'd likely avoid the hadith unless there was something specifically referenced.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
I can relate to what you're saying.
Islam found me and it took me some time to figure out how to make sense of it. It remains a work in progress but prayer and patience worked for me.
I wish you the best wherever your journey takes you :)

Union

To be fair I've tried reading the hadith and they're quite off-putting. I'd likely avoid the hadith unless there was something specifically referenced.

Good . You already have seen the light at the end of the tunnel . Best wishes :)

MatthiasGould

Alhamdulillah!
Thanks everyone!

I'm currently re-reading the Qur'an on its own right now. Finished Surah Al-Baqarah this evening and am about to read Al-'Imran. :)

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I don't normally post in the Islam DIR, but I count on the good will and understanding of your Muslims to allow me to just say that Matthias may not have a reason to worry. Just go with the flow.

Personally speaking, I'm not sure there is even a problem in having some oscillation in religious perception and preference. It is probably better than being unable to perceive the beauty and validity of other traditions.

Sorry for intruding this DIR. I meant no disrespect nor harm.

MatthiasGould

Alhamdulillah!
I know very little about Sikhism - but an important thing in my own journey was/is to clarify in my own mind what exactly it is I understand Islam to be

I must admit I've 'been round the houses' when it comes to religion as I've studied most of the major religions.

cocolia42

Thanks everyone!

I'm currently re-reading the Qur'an on its own right now. Finished Surah Al-Baqarah this evening and am about to read Al-'Imran. :)

I would recommend going back to read Al-Baqarah 208-209. Ponder over it. Let us know what you think about it.

MatthiasGould

Alhamdulillah!
I would recommend going back to read Al-Baqarah 208-209. Ponder over it. Let us know what you think about it.

Will do when I have a Qur'an to hand (I'm on my phone right now). I do seem to recall the passage though.

EDIT: Found the passages you mention. I shall memorize them (in Arabic!) and keep them in mind.

Maybe God is just calling you back.

I'd be the world's worst Muslim. Seriously.

Last edited:
I really don't know what's going on here, but it's leaving me confused.

Some people on here may remember this, as there was a time when I considered conversion to Islam, and was seriously studying Islam. Skipping forward to more recently, I found myself decently sure that Sikhism is the right choice for me.

My confusion comes because I still hold a massive amount of fascination about the Qur'an and it seems that each time I try and abandon my Qur'an reading/study, all that seems to happen is that I come back and begin studying again. I simply cannot shake off the hold that the Qur'an has on me.

It's deeply confusing to me, particularly as I was so close to converting to Islam originally. So, what's going on?

Just want to suggest , read what Islam says and not what people says about Islam.