• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fear of missing out

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I've been familiar with the basic phenomenon of this, but I didn't know it had its own acronym until recently (FOMO). Fear of missing out - Wikipedia

So, I guess I could say I experienced a brief bout of FOMO because I didn't know what FOMO meant.

Anyway, there's a short Wiki article on the subject, which defines it:

FOMO refers to the apprehension that one is either not in the know or missing out on information, events, experiences, or life decisions that could make one's life better.[3] Those affected by it may not know exactly what they are missing but may still worry that others are having a much better time or doing something better than they are, without them.[2] FOMO could result from not knowing about a conversation,[15] missing a T.V. show, not attending a wedding or party,[16] or hearing that others have discovered a new restaurant.[17]

Within video games, FOMO is also used to describe the similar anxiety around missing the ability to obtain in-game items or complete activities that are only available for a limited time, such as those in battle passes. This is particularly common for multiplayer video games, where such items are cosmetic in nature but reflect a player's skill to other players in the game and can become a sign of social standing within the game's community; failure to acquire a limited cosmetic item may lead to social outcasting particularly in groups of younger players.[18][19][20]

FOMO is also defined as a fear of regret,[4] which may lead to concerns that one might miss an opportunity for social interaction, a novel experience or a profitable investment.[5] It is the fear that deciding not to participate is the wrong choice.[4][6]

Social networking creates many opportunities for FOMO. While it provides opportunities for social engagement,[3] it offers an endless stream of activities in which any given person is not involved. Psychological dependence on social networks can result in anxiety and can lead to FOMO[7] or even pathological internet use.[8] FOMO is claimed to negatively influence psychological health and well-being.[4]

The article references a study which suggests that FOMO can reduce psychological well-being, negative social and emotional experiences. It can negatively impact mood and life satisfaction, reduce self-esteem, and affects mindfulness.

The phenomenon is compared to older, pre-internet phenomena such as "keeping up with the Joneses," which is something that most people are familiar with. But back in those days, the "Joneses" were usually someone in the same neighborhood and the same socioeconomic class. Now, due to the internet, it's more like "keeping up with the Kardashians," which most working class people can't do. Not that they'd actually want to, but anyway...

FOMO arises from situational or long-term deficits in psychological needs satisfaction, which are not a new phenomenon.[3] Before the Internet, a related phenomenon, "keeping up with the Jones'", was widely experienced. FOMO generalized and intensified this experience because so much more of people's lives became publicly documented and easily accessed. Further, a common tendency is to post about positive experiences (that great restaurant) rather than negative ones (bad first date).

Self-determination theory contends that an individual's psychological satisfaction in their competence, autonomy, and relatedness consists of three basic psychological needs for human beings.[27] Test subjects with lower levels of basic psychological satisfaction reported a higher level of FOMO. Basic psychological satisfaction and FOMO were positively correlated.[3] Four in ten young people reported FOMO sometimes or often.[2] FOMO was found to be negatively correlated with age, and men were more likely than women to report It.[3]

Social media platforms that are associated with FOMO include Snapchat,[28] Facebook,[29] and Instagram.[30]

I can sort of identify with Charlie Brown here:

uxbsy7vwrecltdegdliy.jpg

The interesting thing noted in this Wiki article is that the phenomenon was first identified not by a psychologist or sociologist, but by a marketing strategist. "FOMO" first appeared in an article in The Harbus, the Harvard Business School magazine.

For the most part, speaking personally, I don't think I have any strong feelings of "FOMO," at least not anymore. I did in the past, so I can kind of understand where it comes from.

I've heard some people suggest that a large factor in creating public dissatisfaction in the 1960s, particularly in the inner cities, is that television became more and more widespread. People were able to see parts of the world they've never had access to before, and they saw a little more about "how the other half lived." Then they would look at their own lives and realize how much they had been missing out on, which led to greater dissatisfaction and angst.

With the internet, it seems such feelings might even be more greatly magnified.

Of course, as marketing strategists are well aware of this phenomenon, they have sought to take advantage of it, as pointed out in the article:

Advertising and marketing campaigns may seek to intensify FOMO within a marketing strategy. Examples include AT&T's "Don't be left behind" campaign, Duracell's Powermat "Stay in charge" campaign and Heineken's "Sunrise" campaign.[2] The "Sunrise" campaign, in particular, aimed to encourage responsible drinking by portraying excessive drinking as a way to miss the best parts of a party, rather than claiming that excessive drinking is a risk to personal health. Other brands attempt counter FOMO, such as Nescafé's "Wake up to life" campaign.[2]

Harnessing TV viewers' FOMO is also perceived to foster higher broadcast ratings. Real-time updates about status and major social events allow for a more engaging media consumption experience and faster dissemination of information.[2] Real-time tweets about the Super Bowl are considered to be correlated with higher TV ratings due to their appeal to FOMO and the prevalence of social media usage.[2]

"Don't be left behind" - I guess many people have that kind of fear, unless they've already reached the finish line.

I put this in the psychology section, since this seems fitting enough, although it's probably more in the realm of sociology. It's not necessarily politics or "class warfare" either, although it might touch upon that. Even people in the upper classes might be unhappy if they're not in the top tier.

I guess what's helped me to overcome this is to take a lighter approach to life; I don't take things as seriously as I once did. After all, in the long run, we are all dead. In 100 years, nobody is going to care about the Kardashians or if anyone was able to keep up with them. Sure, I'll still pull for the "workers of the world" and root for the undercat, but I don't care who wins the rat race.

I was just wondering others might think about this. Have you ever experienced FOMO ("fear of missing out")? Does the internet cause it, or at least exacerbate it? Have you had it in the past and overcome it? Is it something that requires psychological help, or is it something people can overcome on their own?

Vee

Premium Member
I was just wondering others might think about this. Have you ever experienced FOMO ("fear of missing out")? Does the internet cause it, or at least exacerbate it? Have you had it in the past and overcome it? Is it something that requires psychological help, or is it something people can overcome on their own?

I think it happens to everyone. TV and the internet made it much, much worse, by selling people illusions. You can see FOMO at it's best in the financial markets. What people are willing to risk to make lots of money quick is beyond insane and in most cases doesn't work.
I find it useful to wait before making a decision and ask myself how important it really is and how much could I lose if it doesn't work out. If I don't find the risk worth it I'll forget about it.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I know I'm missing out, and I'm cool with it. From the outside, it seems like a mess of problems, and I don't really desire more messes or problems. I'm fine with my current messes and problems.

I think everyone else is missing out. ;)

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
It does, daily. Only if I think of a future in goal to achieve. I can't expect life to wait for me or help me to do so in the way I expect. Best I can do is cultivate myself today. Of course it's just as important as the future, I just find time will surpass the effort.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Social media appears to be based on FOMO, and why it is so successful, although the obvious advantages of social contact and why so many feel it a necessary part of their lives will mostly be why they join in. Once upon a time we never had such and somehow seemed to survive, with many of us no doubt not being that interested in the news or even TV, but technology rolls on and over us. :oops:

Deidre

Sometimes, I wish I had “missed out.” Everyone’s idea of a good time or riding the wave is different. Ride your own wave, and you’ll never be missing out. :wink:

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
FOMO is well acknowledged as a powerful force on hobbysts of several kinds.

I know that I meet it often when dealing with ebooks, RPGs and board games (other kinds of things too).