• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

fear and love

Linus

How do we both fear and love our own parents?

We fear their wrath, but we love them beause they gave us life. I think the same can be said of God.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I couldn't fear God if I tried. I just start laughing. Trust me, I have tried.
There is nothing to fear from god except fear itself. I have no use for fear, although I recognize that some still do. The only thing fear should teach one is NOT to be fearful. If one does not understand this, they are in for a lot more pain.

The only thing that really matters is the Love.
Once you feel it, you are never the same. The love is there to evaporate your fears...

The Bible says that Jesus cried out to God and was heard because He feared. So if Jesus, who is perfect, feared God, it is right for us to fear Him also. Jesus said we should fear God. God also says that He looks to the man, favorably, who fears Him and trembles at His Word. And God also commands us to love Him. So the two go together.

Though we should love God, we also should fear Him in the sense of being afraid to disobey Him and break His commandments. As long as we are in the human flesh, we are subject to temptation, and our human nature tries to make us sin. When we are tempted, we should fear to sin because we know that God means what He says and there is a penalty for sin. Just as I would be afraid to jump off of a tall building, I should be afraid to sin against God. I think that is what the Bible means by fearing God.

I think there is no incompatibility between loving God the right way and fearing God the right way. They are two motivations that point in the same direction: do what God says.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
hero said:
how is it that we are to fear and love God?

Just as I once told my sons, when they were young, a policeman can tell you off if you do something wrong, but he can be your friend if you are lost, or need something.

Just to add the reason why I tought them that way; I have seen many parents bringing up children with the idea that a policeman is a bad guy there to punish you. That may be the truth, but it is only half of the truth; if you are lost, or penniless, the policeman is just as much of a helper............

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
The word "fear" does not mean a negative, reactive emotion, as in fear of being robbed, or fear of heights. Here, the word "fear" means "to stand in awe of."

ayani

Linus said:
How do we both fear and love our own parents?

We fear their wrath, but we love them beause they gave us life. I think the same can be said of God.

this is so simply and beautifully expressed- i can not put it better.

i think for me it's also tied in with gratitude. i am grateful to God for what He has given me, for what He has shown me of Himself. i fear God because i love and respect Him, as i would my father. when i honor Him through remembering, it is that kind of fear- one born of gratitude, awe, and respect.

Hacker

It's ridiculous to fear God! And this being taught in religions is a down right shame.:eek:
I mean fear is somewhat appropriate for obedience but I feel like if more love was taught as an aspect of some religions instead of fear, then alot of our anger issues with God would be resolved and essentially I believe we would all be happier. It's our choice to either FEAR God or behave with obedience and serve God's purpose with love and love God as well, not FEAR him.... fear is associated with anger and confusion and that's not good at all.

Fear just seems like a manipulative mechanism to promote one to obey, which is effective in essence but obedience out of love is just more soul fulfilling than FEAR, and gives one more of a sense of appreciation.

Michel07

I also see the fear aspect as a healthy and respectful fear for that which is not just man but God who is Holy.
Conversely Jesus did say " Do not fear man who can only kill the body and do no more harm..."
We have a tendency to fear death but what great power is greater than death's power ? God's power. Gotta love it but respect it too. God is Love and Love is power.

Troublemane

I think God must be feared, in the sense that it/he/she is by far the most powerful being imaginable, and can look through you and see your tiniest flaws ( I know, had it happen once :))
Not fear in a terrifying way, its more like as another poster said ---out of awe and respect.

Its the love thing thats more difficult. How do you love a being that is so powerful, so remote it seems impossible to ever even know it? For me its the mystery of life that provides the love part--likening life to a constant, ongoing story that we are writing together. And God is there as kind of the super-moderator (lol) to make sure the story doesnt get out of control and wreck everything. So the love is really an assurance that no matter what happens everything will be OK.
:)

PureX

Veteran Member
how is it that we are to fear and love God?
We fear whatever we don't understand. This is natural for us as we humans survive and thrive by our ability to figure out how things work. Anything we can't figure out presents a threat to us.

Yet at the same time, we have learned that our lives will be much happier and more meaningful if we can learn to love. Not just each other, but ourselves, our planet, our existence, and "God", which is the over-arching representation of all these, and of our own ignorance too, which we fear.

So we find ourselves confronted with somewhat of a contradiction in that we desire to love that which we naturally fear. And it takes a special act of faith to overcome this.

Charity

Let's go racing boys !
I also see the fear aspect as a healthy and respectful fear for that which is not just man but God who is Holy.
Conversely Jesus did say " Do not fear man who can only kill the body and do no more harm..."
We have a tendency to fear death but what great power is greater than death's power ? God's power. Gotta love it but respect it too. God is Love and Love is power.
I agree with you....The Fear of God is a reverence. He wants us to do this because we love him, honor him, and respect Him. I think you said it quite well:bow:When we have children we want them to respect us as their superior and wise parents that we should be....but at the same time we want that time of closeness and love when we wrap them in our arms and comfort and encourage them. That's Agape love. Blessings on your insight........ Charity