• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

favorite TV shows when you were a kid

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
If it was a cartoon in the 80's, I probably loved it.

You know, except for all that boy stuff :D

Booko

Deviled Hen
Katzpur said:
When I was a little older (maybe 10 or 12), my favorite show was "One Step Beyond." It was actually the predecessor to "Twilight Zone," but was always billed as true, unexplainable events. I thought it had "Twighlight Zone" beat by far.
Oh, I loved "One Step Beyond"! And you're right Katz -- it was better than the Zone too.

I watched the original "Outer Limits", "Star Trek" and for lighter fare, "Bullwinkle" and you really can't beat Bugs Bunny (especially doing Wagner :D) and "Hogan's Heroes."

Our family watched a lot of other shows, like:

I Love Lucy
Leave it to Beaver
Lassie
Daniel Boone

and I liked 'em ok I suppose (*), but none were my faves like the ones listed above.

*We only had 2 channels (no ABC near us) and this was ages before UHF, much less VCRs, so we didn't exactly have a lot of choice.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Booko said:
Our family watched a lot of other shows, like:

I Love Lucy
Leave it to Beaver
Lassie
Daniel Boone

I can't remember watching Daniel Boone, but I loved the others you mentioned. And remember:

Father Knows Best
Ozzie and Harriet
Perry Mason
Alfred Hitchcock Presents

I can remember watching the very first episode of The Flintstones with my entire family. It was on during prime time. The adults thought it was hilarious.

And when I was a teenager -- Ben Casey! Oh man! I was in love with Ben Casey!:hearts:

Hacker

Katzpur said:
I can't remember watching Daniel Boone, but I loved the others you mentioned. And remember:

Father Knows Best
Ozzie and Harriet
Perry Mason
Alfred Hitchcock Presents

I can remember watching the very first episode of The Flintstones with my entire family. It was on during prime time. The adults thought it was hilarious.

And when I was a teenager -- Ben Casey! Oh man! I was in love with Ben Casey!:hearts:
Oh YEAH Alfred Hitchcock, my mother used to watch that show all the time when I was a kid, and then I actually got into it.:p
Another one I forgot is Sandford and Son.

Booko

Deviled Hen
Katzpur said:
Father Knows Best
Ozzie and Harriet

I think those were on ABC, so we couldn't get them.

Perry Mason

Oh yeah, we watched that for sure. And we watched "Ironsides" when I was older. (same actor)

Hm...later on when we had a color TV, we watched:

Hawaii Five-O
M*A*S*H (and I still do)

I'm trying to think of anything else, but I'm sure something will come to me. I spent more time reading around this time. My Mom's taste in teevee and mine are nowhere near the same. I had to have a total hissy fit just to watch one show...Trek.

Yeah, me too. And it must've been aimed more at adults, because the humour at the time was kinda lost on me.

Can't remember that one...

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Do you remember Dr. Kildare? Ben Casey was another "doctor show" on a competing network. While Dr. Kildare (Richard Chamberlain) was the slender, compassionate, boyish blonde intern, Ben Casey was a hot-tempered, Italian looking, very macho neuro-surgeon. It was one of those things where you couldn't like both of them -- you had to choose between them.

jacquie4000

My favorite Martian
Mash
Benny Hill my dad used to watch with us mom got mad...lol
Adams Family
Leave it to Beaver
Lucy
Three Stooges
Road Runner

Hacker

HAHAHAHA Benny Hill, I just remember my father laughing when it was on.lol:D My father loved that one.

Kamala

Power Rangers, up until the Zeo phase... then I lost interest.
Rocko's Modern Life, which is even funnier now that I get much more of the humor.
Ren and Stimpy. The original. "Adult Cartoon Party" was stupid.
The original Rugrats... not this Kimi and Dyl and Chaz's stereotypical Japanese wife crap. :sarcastic
Doug... again, the original, not before it became "Disney's Doug."

Basically, if it was a cartoon on Nickelodeon before they got all whitewashed and overly censored (you can't say the words "dead" "death" or "die" on the entire network now from what I hear), I probably watched it.

Oh, and Are You Being Served and Fawlty Towers. Needless to say, I get those much better than I did when I was 9. :)

jacquie4000

HAHAHAHA Benny Hill, I just remember my father laughing when it was on.lol:D My father loved that one.

Yeah mine did too.......But my mom she really hated it

Show i hated my parents watched oh come on guys I can't think of it Tiny Bubles they would sing the whole show it is on the tip of my tongue.

Kamala

Lawrence Welk?

I watch that show to make fun of it. My mom can't stand it because my grandparents always HAD to watch it.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
jacquie4000 said:
Show i hated my parents watched oh come on guys I can't think of it Tiny Bubles they would sing the whole show it is on the tip of my tongue.
If it wasn't Lawrence Welk, I bet it was Guy Lombardo.

Wandered Off

Sporadic Driveby Member
There was this one six-week pilot that ran in the late 70s or early 80s, and nobody else seems to remember it. It showed up the same time the "Police Squad" episodes did and lasted about as long: "No Soap Radio". There was an episode where a chair killed people and ended up hanging itself. Way too weird to last, but I liked it.

Circle_One

He-Man
She-Ra
Dungeons and Dragons (my brother and I used to wake up SUPER early just to watch this and then go back to bed).
You Can't Do That on Television
The Muppet Show (To this day, I have vivid memories of watching Alice Cooper perform (I believe it was) School's Out with Muppets. SO GOOD!
Fraggle Rock
The Littlest Hobo
The Flintstones (I remember this going off the air when I was little and I cried SO hard and asked my babysitter why it was cancelled and she said it was because there weren't enough people watching it. Which led me to believe there was someone in the TV watching me watching cartoons, so I spent days screaming at the TV man that I watched the Flintstones!)
The Funtastic World of Hannah Barbera
The Smurfs
Snorks!!!!
The Racoons (I think this might have just been Canadian, but man, I loved this cartoon).
Carebears
The Get Along Gang
Duck Tales
Captain Caveman
Garfield and Friends
Jem! ("We are the Misfits, our songs are better. The Misfists, the Misfits. We're gonna get her".)
Captain Planet
Captain N!!! (Man, I used to LOVE that friggen show. Gotta make a mental note to download it).
And of course, the X-Men! I used to dream about marrying Gambit *sigh*

Kay

Towards the Sun
Land of the Lost

Wonder Woman

The Incredible Hulk

Buck Rogers

Battlestar Galactica

Star Trek

The Brady Bunch

Hmmm ... One of these things is not like the others ...

Hema

Sweet n Spicy
Muppet Babies
My Little Pony Tales
Sesame Street
Some show about a teddy bear named Rupert
Raggedy Ann & Andy (was that the name of it?)
Popeye
Ninja Turtles

Now imagine me with my little self watching shows to see cute guys.

Who’s The Boss? – To see Tony Danza
Family Ties – To see Michael J. Fox

BTW, I still love cartoons.

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
Circle_One said:
He-Man
She-Ra
Dungeons and Dragons (my brother and I used to wake up SUPER early just to watch this and then go back to bed).
You Can't Do That on Television
The Muppet Show (To this day, I have vivid memories of watching Alice Cooper perform (I believe it was) School's Out with Muppets. SO GOOD!
Fraggle Rock
The Littlest Hobo
The Flintstones (I remember this going off the air when I was little and I cried SO hard and asked my babysitter why it was cancelled and she said it was because there weren't enough people watching it. Which led me to believe there was someone in the TV watching me watching cartoons, so I spent days screaming at the TV man that I watched the Flintstones!)
The Funtastic World of Hannah Barbera
The Smurfs
Snorks!!!!
The Racoons (I think this might have just been Canadian, but man, I loved this cartoon).
Carebears
The Get Along Gang
Duck Tales
Captain Caveman
Garfield and Friends
Jem! ("We are the Misfits, our songs are better. The Misfists, the Misfits. We're gonna get her".)
Captain Planet
Captain N!!! (Man, I used to LOVE that friggen show. Gotta make a mental note to download it).
And of course, the X-Men! I used to dream about marrying Gambit *sigh*

Sounds like we must be much the same age.

James

Hema

Sweet n Spicy
After reading Circle_One's response I realize that I left out a lot. I also watched these-

He Man
She Ra
Fragle Rock (How could I leave out that one?)
Captain Planet
Smurfs (loved it)
Flintstones
Ducktales
The Littlest Hobo