• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favorite religious texts

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
I am curious what everyone's favorite religious texts are. Not just scriptural texts, but any books on religion/spirituality. I need to expand my already ridiculously long reading list.

Skwim

Veteran Member

416mTsbwk2L._SX260_.jpg

Helped make me what I am. ;)

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I am curious what everyone's favorite religious texts are. Not just scriptural texts, but any books on religion/spirituality. I need to expand my already ridiculously long reading list.

I don't read much religious text these days. I love the suttas. I just finished reading Backwoods Witchcraft and Working Conjure. Both are about the authors upbringing, history, and practice of ol' school superstitious conjure practices. Other books that are religious like to me are The Conduct of Life by Ralph Emerson and Letters to a Young Poet by Rainer Maria Rilke.

I'm starting to move from traditional religious text and just read the ones in addition that pulls to me about life in general.

I guess it depends on the subjects you like. I read People of the Earth: The New Pagans Speak Out, bits and pieces of the Quran, and what else. Anyway, it just depends on what you like and what you consider "religious/spiritual text." If it calls to you, there ya go...

Last edited:

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
Im not really sure I'd call them religious texts in the traditional sense, The Havamal is pretty interesting. Also, the Vedas are pretty cool. Anything rooted in P.I.E. is a fun read.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
God Speaks by Meher Baba
How a Master Works by Ivy Duce
I Heard God Laughing: Renderings of Hafiz by Daniel Ladinsky
Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna
The Sunlit Path
by The Mother (of the Sri Aurobindo ashram)

Fictional stories:
"The Ballad of Lost C'Mell" by Cordwainer Smith
"The Dead Lady of Clown Town" by Cordwainer Smith
"Ararat" by Zenna Henderson

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
I need to expand my already ridiculously long reading list.
Strange sentence. Your list is "ridiculously long", and still you want to expand this list.

Would it not make more sense, to show us "your list" and asking us to help you strike out some titles?

Last edited:

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
The Baha’i Writings, the New Testament, the Tanakh, the Quran, Bhagavad Gita, and the Teachings of the Buddha.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I don't read much. I did read enough to get the basics, and if those books weren't philosophical, they were about how to practice your faith. So now I don't read much, but I practice.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member

The Four Agreements
The Upanishads

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
Strange sentence. Your list is "ridiculously long", and still you want to expand this list.

Would it not make more sense, to show us "your list" and asking us to help you strike out some titles?

My list is on Goodreads. Are you on it?