• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favorite books you read as a kid?

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
I recently started rereading Watership Down (which I first read in 5th grade), and it made me pretty nostalgic and I started thinking about some other books I read and reread as a kid. Animorphs and Goosebumps were my big ones, and I also loved the Redwall books.

What about you guys? Do you still enjoy the books you read as a kid today?

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I liked to read various Louisa May Alcott books. There were at least 8 different titles. Little Women and Good Wives (in one volume), Little Men, Jo's Boys, An Old Fashioned Girl, Eight Cousins, Rose in Bloom, Under The Lilacs, and others. I also enjoyed The Anne Shirley/Blythe series by L. M. Montgomery and The Secret Garden. I also read books by Judy Blume.

slabbey06

Bond-Servant of Christ
I still re-read all the books I loved as a kid. I guess in some ways I'm still a kid at heart. My favorites included The Chronicles of Narnia, Little House on the Prairie series, The Cooper Kids, The Seven Sleepers, The Northwood Adventures, Anne of Green Gables series...I could keep going...I've had my nose in a book since I learned how to read.

jamaesi

To Save A Lamb
Animorphs, Boxcar Children, and The Babysitter's Club and all it's related series.

But No Elephants and The Little Prince were my favourite nonseries books...

anders

From learning to read at bout the age of 4, I read all I could get my hands on. My early favourites were the Pippi Longstockings series. She's a role model for independence and questioning authority. I suppose I've outgrown her.

Another set of books were the picture books on Barna Hedenhös (the children "times immemorial"). The kids were named Sten (Stone) and Flisa (splinter; cf. Lisa), and there were lots of puns and pranks but yet in most of the books a well researched historical core. Still lots of fun to read and explain to youngsters, and I sometimes re-read them on my own.

The OP mentioned 5th grade. I think that I by then had read Kipling's Kim for the first time. I still, more than 50 years later, read it on average once a year. I loved it from the start. The exotic setting, the people, the plot. Some people blame Kipling for imperialistic views, being condescending towards natives etc. I read it the other way round, sympathising with the Indians and snickering at the stupid Anglos.

It must have been this book that has lead me to spend (until now) close to two academic years on Indian languages, and two trips to India totalling four months. The wonderful thing about the book is that I still often understand new things, like how to interpret Kipling's transcription of Indian words, which is very British and extemely misleading to a young Swede (e.g. Kipling's Hurree -> the modern linguist's Hari, Huneefa -> Hanifa; I think my earlier understanding of her name would sound something like Huh-neh-fah to you) and cultural references.

Hope

Princesinha
Ah....I love to read. As a kid I devoured books. Especially since I wasn't allowed to watch much TV.

Favorites included Hardy Boys (yes, I'm a girl, but so what?), Nancy Drew (only the older ones), Anne of Green Gables series, A Little Princess (F.H. Burnett), Chronicles of Narnia; most of the horse stories by Marguerite Henry---like Misty of Chincoteague, Stormy, Misty's Foal, King of the Wind, Justin Morgan Had a Horse, Black Gold; most of the Black Stallion series by Walter Farley; and a Christian mystery series for girls whose main character was called Mandy (can't remember the author).

I own the Anne of Green Gables series, the Chronicles of Narnia, A Little Princess, and some of Marguerite Henry's books, so I will still read them from time to time. Good stuff. :)

Oh....and I also wrote my own stories, which provided hours of entertainment.

slabbey06

Bond-Servant of Christ
and a Christian mystery series for girls whose main character was called Mandy (can't remember the author).

I loved the Mandy books too! I think I started reading them when there was only one or two out...now I think there's over 40. The author is Lois Gladys Leppard. Ah the memories...

Hope

Princesinha
I loved the Mandy books too! I think I started reading them when there was only one or two out...now I think there's over 40. The author is Lois Gladys Leppard. Ah the memories...

Awesome! Wow, I didn't know there were so many. My sister and I loved those books. I think my sister still has them somewhere. Yeah, definitely brings back memories. Let's see, there was Mandy, her best friend Celia (or was it Cecilia?), Joe, that Indian guy (was it Ned? can't remember)....anyway, yeah, good times.:)

slabbey06

Bond-Servant of Christ
Awesome! Wow, I didn't know there were so many. My sister and I loved those books. I think my sister still has them somewhere. Yeah, definitely brings back memories. Let's see, there was Mandy, her best friend Celia (or was it Cecilia?), Joe, that Indian guy (was it Ned? can't remember)....anyway, yeah, good times.:)

I think it was Cecilia...but I'm not 100% sure. Didn't Joe have a crush on Mandy? Don't forget her kitten. Wasn't it named Snowball? Something with snow...

Ciscokid

In high school I used to read the DragonLance series as well as Forgotten Realms books etc. I also loved the Mac Bolan action books.

Yerda

Veteran Member
I thought The Hobbit was the coolest thing ever when I read it when I was about ten. I also really loved stories about WWII like Goodnight Mr. Tom and Carrie's War.

Anything by Roald Dahl.

Do you still enjoy the books you read as a kid today?
I think I would. Actually I really want to read a book that someone recommended to me. She read it as a child and I think I would have absolutely loved it. It's called The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas.

Mike182

Flaming Queer
i read The Hobbit so many times when i was a child, i literally knew it back to front. before i could even read it, my mum would read it too me.

I thought The Hobbit was the coolest thing ever when I read it when I was about ten. I also really loved stories about WWII like Goodnight Mr. Tom and Carrie's War.

lol, jinx!

i also read The Silver Sword, which was a WWII novel, though i can't remember who wrote it, or if i still have it :eek:

Mathematician

Reason, and reason again
By others' standards I'm still a kid, but I'll speak on behalf of my middle schools.

One of my favorite books was a class reading project in 7th grade: Flowers for Algernon. I also read the Lion, Witch, and Wardrobe; Hyperion [still my favorite]; DragonLance; and the Hobbit.

Boy, I wish my reading was half that good these days. :rolleyes:

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
I loved the American Girl series :) I still read them from time to time. Also, the Little House on the Prairie series.

equus somnium

Horse Fanatic
I loved Misty of Chincoteague, Boxcar Children, Little House on the Prairie, Babysitter's Club, Anne of Green Gables, Sarah Plain and Tall... and I cant seem to think of anymore right now D: oh and The Black Stallion series too <3

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Anything by Roald Dahl.

Yes, yes, yes!

Now that I think about it, I have no idea where my copy of James and the Giant Peach went to. Unless my parents sold it at a garage sale, it should be around somewhere.

Also, by the time I was 12 or 13, I was really into the Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy trilogy.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
The Neverending Story, The Jungle Books, and The Hobbit all stood the test of time for me.

Ciscokid

the neverending story was awesome! The movie is one of my favorites...great to watch on a Saturday afternoon.