• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Faux fur not really faux!

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Give them to PETA. They're always happy to use thems as props in demos or publicity advertisements.

Don't wear them in public. You run the risk of being acosted by radicals (like myself and my friends) questioning your contribution to animal cruelty and suffering.

The less confrontational of us will surreptitiously slip anti-fur propaganda cards into fur-wearer's pockets.

The more militant of us will spray your garment with corrosive chemicals or paint.

Booko

Deviled Hen
Tigress said:
Yikes! It's a good thing I'm not partial to faux fur either then (it's the feel and the thought of it being 'fur' that kinda freaks me out). My winter jacket contains real feathers, but it was given to me, so I wear it.

I'm not partial to it either. I always wonder...now is wearing faux fur really encouraging people to find fur of any sort more fashionable?

If I lived in the far north there might be a use for it, but I don't, so it's not really an issue.

Oh...digression...I remember years ago going to the Watertower Place in Chicago in JUNE and seeing this woman wearing a car coat length fur. :faint:

Ah yes, people-watching can be so entertaining sometimes. :D

Booko

Deviled Hen
Seyorni said:
Give them to PETA. They're always happy to use thems as props in demos or publicity advertisements.

Oh, I had no idea that anyone in PETA would find them useful! That's very good to know.

I really REALLY object to animals being raised for fur. It offends the little smidge of First Nation sensibility left in my family. We should not waste the gifts we are given. :no:

Don't wear them in public. You run the risk of being acosted by radicals (like myself and my friends) questioning your contribution to animal cruelty and suffering.

Depending on where you live, this might happen. I doubt anyone in the Midwest would have much of a problem, though unless maybe they lived in Chicago.

If you tried that in Detroit, someone would probably take you out. :eek:

The more militant of us will spray your garment with corrosive chemicals or paint.

Paint I can understand. But how can you ensure the safety of the person wearing the garment if you use corrosive chemicals? :confused:

Harming the person seems like a case of "two wrongs don't make a right." I can't see where it would be worth the risk.

Ðanisty

evearael said:
Actually, this reminds me of a dilemma I'm facing... I inherited a mink coat and a leather coat with fur trim. What on earth should I do with it? I'm torn between not supporting fur and not letting a pair of twenty year old coats go to waste...
I don't think that by wearing an heirloom, you're supporting anything other than history. Plus, if you go to Nebraska, you'll really wish you had them! :D

Geez, I guess I'm just the odd chick out here. I love fur and leather and don't really care one way or another about it. :shrug: But I'm one of those nasty carnivores too...

Booko

Deviled Hen
Ðanisty said:
I don't think that by wearing an heirloom, you're supporting anything other than history. Plus, if you go to Nebraska, you'll really wish you had them! :D

Geez, I guess I'm just the odd chick out here. I love fur and leather and don't really care one way or another about it. :shrug: But I'm one of those nasty carnivores too...

Not that odd, Danisty. I have no objections to leather, as the cows are not being wasted. If that were true of animals used for fur, I would have far less objection to it.

But the idea that we would raise animals *just* for fur, and the conditions that they're raised in...that's cruelty in the name of human vanity. I'm not keen on that, no.

My father and grandfather made part of the family income trapping furs in the winter in Michigan, but they didn't just use the fur and toss away the rest. And the animals lived a normal life in the wild before that. You can't say that of animals raised specifically for fur.

Ðanisty

Booko said:
Not that odd, Danisty. I have no objections to leather, as the cows are not being wasted. If that were true of animals used for fur, I would have far less objection to it.

But the idea that we would raise animals *just* for fur, and the conditions that they're raised in...that's cruelty in the name of human vanity. I'm not keen on that, no.

My father and grandfather made part of the family income trapping furs in the winter in Michigan, but they didn't just use the fur and toss away the rest. And the animals lived a normal life in the wild before that. You can't say that of animals raised specifically for fur.
Well, I look at it like this. These animals are raised for fur and they're going to get used for fur. There's no point in not buying the fur because it won't change anything.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Ðanisty said:
Well, I look at it like this. These animals are raised for fur and they're going to get used for fur. There's no point in not buying the fur because it won't change anything.
Yell, scream, toss nasty chemical all you like... I personally have no objections to the wearing of fur. Save your vitriol, I don't need it, as I do not own anything made of fur. I do feel that if some people wish to wear fur it is no skin off my nose... or other body parts for that matter.

I DO have issues with animals be raised under cruel conditions, but if they were raised lovingly and with dignity with the understanding that they are being "groomed" for a distinct purpose (like animals grown for foodstuff) then I have no objection whatsoever. That might sound odd, but if this was handled in the manner traditionally done by aboriginal cultures who revered the spirit of the animal, I would have no issues whatsoever. If done as a cruel act of unnatural aggression against the inherent dignity of the animal (like the Canadian seal hunts) then, imho, the practice is plain wrong. I hope y'all understand what I am saying.

PS: Seynori, if I caught you (or anyone) trying to stuff something into my pockets you would have a rather large, capable and angry bear on your hands. You might get wounded for your noble efforts. Be assured, I would get my point across.

Ðanisty

YmirGF said:
Yell, scream, toss nasty chemical all you like... I personally have no objections to the wearing of fur. Save your vitriol, I don't need it, as I do not own anything made of fur. I do feel that if some people wish to wear fur it is no skin off my nose... or other body parts for that matter.

I DO have issues with animals be raised under cruel conditions, but if they were raised lovingly and with dignity with the understanding that they are being "groomed" for a distinct purpose (like animals grown for foodstuff) then I have no objection whatsoever. That might sound odd, but if this was handled in the manner traditionally done by aboriginal cultures who revered the spirit of the animal, I would have no issues whatsoever. If done as a cruel act of unnatural aggression against the inherent dignity of the animal (like the Canadian seal hunts) then, imho, the practice is plain wrong. I hope y'all understand what I am saying.

PS: Seynori, if I caught you (or anyone) trying to stuff something into my pockets you would have a rather large, capable and angry bear on your hands. You might get wounded for your noble efforts. Be assured, I would get my point across.
Why are you quoting me? I mostly agree with you...lol. I don't even own any fur because I live in Georgia. The fact still remains that not buying fur is a really ineffective stand to take.

Ðanisty

Seyorni said:

The less confrontational of us will surreptitiously slip anti-fur propaganda cards into fur-wearer's pockets.

Try it. I'd have you arrested for vandalism. You have no right to destroy other people's property.

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
I tend to agree with YmirGF on this . I have nothing agaisnt the wearing of fur . Some consider it almost as honoring the animal . However I do have a few problems with how the fur is sometimes taken ....note that I say sometimes . Canadian fur laws are too reflexed in my opinion . Such as being able to leave a trap untended for 48 hours { 72 if it is a kill set } . In my opinion , clubing a baby seal is more humane then leaving an animal in a trap for 72 hours { snares don't always kill right away }. Even 48 hours is too long in my opinion .

Having said that , I caught my first muskrat , skinned and dried the hide myself , and sold it before I started school . My father still traps { at the age of 84 } . Personally , I don't have much fur . It is too heavy for my needs . But if someone were to attack my clothing , I would wear their hide !

If you don't want to wear fur , cool . But it doesn't give you the right to attack those who do .

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
I suppose if I were Inuit I would have use for fur, but I'm not so even the "faux" stuff doesn't appeal or have any use to me.

Kungfuzed

Student Nurse
With the huge population of unwanted pets in this country I'm suprised there aren't more dog and cat coats and hats and gloves. Those big husky dogs would make a great winter coat, as long as you're not allergic. If you're reasons for opposing fur is based on waste then go bomb a dog pound. It's a bigger waste to put them to sleep and then cremate them than it would be to use them for something.

Quoth The Raven

Half Arsed Muse
Kungfuzed said:
With the huge population of unwanted pets in this country I'm suprised there aren't more dog and cat coats and hats and gloves. Those big husky dogs would make a great winter coat, as long as you're not allergic. If you're reasons for opposing fur is based on waste then go bomb a dog pound. It's a bigger waste to put them to sleep and then cremate them than it would be to use them for something.
People don't tend to like this sort of thing. In areas where we have a feral cat problem and Koorie tribes still living reasonably traitionally, they hunt the feral cats and make stuff out of their fur...blankets, stubby holders with tails, things of that ilk. When one tribe tried to make a small commercial concern of it, didn't the cat lovers pitch a screaming fit. All over the media, as well. It was ridiculous.
I've said it before and I'll say it again; we have a huge population of feral animals and we use biological controls and poisons and the animals die, rot and go to waste. I'd much rather see someone out there killing them humanely and using the skins for something useful.

Ðanisty

Quoth The Raven said:
People don't tend to like this sort of thing. In areas where we have a feral cat problem and Koorie tribes still living reasonably traitionally, they hunt the feral cats and make stuff out of their fur...blankets, stubby holders with tails, things of that ilk. When one tribe tried to make a small commercial concern of it, didn't the cat lovers pitch a screaming fit. All over the media, as well. It was ridiculous.
I've said it before and I'll say it again; we have a huge population of feral animals and we use biological controls and poisons and the animals die, rot and go to waste. I'd much rather see someone out there killing them humanely and using the skins for something useful.
We have a huge deer problem here and if it weren't for the hunters, it would be intolerable. I think hunting animals for population control is great as long as the hunters use the animals for something.

Booko

Deviled Hen
Quoth The Raven said:

Good point, QTR. Australia has a huge problem with feral cats and bunnies that's affecting native species.

Booko

Deviled Hen
Ðanisty said:
We have a huge deer problem here and if it weren't for the hunters, it would be intolerable. I think hunting animals for population control is great as long as the hunters use the animals for something.

The hunting I've done in my life was exactly for population control. When we remove the native predators, someone has to stand in and do the job.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Ðanisty said:
Why are you quoting me? I mostly agree with you...lol. I don't even own any fur because I live in Georgia. The fact still remains that not buying fur is a really ineffective stand to take.
O'Paul-igies to you Danisty. I was simply being supportive of your viewpoint. Sorry for not being clearer, but I had an idea and ran with the ball without looking back. Me bad.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
kreeden said:
I tend to agree with YmirGF on this . I have nothing agaisnt the wearing of fur . Some consider it almost as honoring the animal . However I do have a few problems with how the fur is sometimes taken ....note that I say sometimes . Canadian fur laws are too reflexed in my opinion . Such as being able to leave a trap untended for 48 hours { 72 if it is a kill set } . In my opinion , clubing a baby seal is more humane then leaving an animal in a trap for 72 hours { snares don't always kill right away }. Even 48 hours is too long in my opinion .

Having said that , I caught my first muskrat , skinned and dried the hide myself , and sold it before I started school . My father still traps { at the age of 84 } . Personally , I don't have much fur . It is too heavy for my needs . But if someone were to attack my clothing , I would wear their hide !

If you don't want to wear fur , cool . But it doesn't give you the right to attack those who do .
Point taken Kreeden. Why is it that people adopt opinions without consulting those who are actually involved? I stand corrected about the seal hunting issue. I supposed I have been sucked into that viewpoint as well. I do agree about the nasty traps. Time was when trappers checked their traps on a daily basis, weather permitting, of course.

Ðanisty

YmirGF said:
O'Paul-igies to you Danisty. I was simply being supportive of your viewpoint. Sorry for not being clearer, but I had an idea and ran with the ball without looking back. Me bad.
It's okay. I was just confused.