• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Faux fur not really faux!

Booko

Deviled Hen
If you want to avoid buying real animal fur, you need to read this article:

http://edition.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/02/07/dog.fur/

Here's the highlights:

• Humane Society found 24 of 25 "faux fur" jackets made from dog hair
  • Fur is taken from the raccoon dogs native to Asia and Northern Europe
  • Jackets sold in major department stores, Humane Society says
  • Lawmakers introducing legislation that would ban import of raccoon dog fur
I thought something was weird about the feel of some of the faux fur coats. I wasn't in the market for a fur trimmed coat (I live in Georgia...I don't need a lot of coat). But I still run my hands over the stuff out of curiousity when I'm going past a rack, and it felt too darned much like the real thing.

Now I know why. :eek: It is the real thing.

evearael

Actually, this reminds me of a dilemma I'm facing... I inherited a mink coat and a leather coat with fur trim. What on earth should I do with it? I'm torn between not supporting fur and not letting a pair of twenty year old coats go to waste...

Djamila

Bosnjakinja
Wow, completely different standards.

One of the first things you get, here, as a young school-age girl is a nice fur hat and a fur coat.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
You would think that fur of any type would be costlier than its synthetic alternatives. Odd that an expensive product would be secretly substituted for a cheaper one.

Booko

Deviled Hen
evearael said:
Actually, this reminds me of a dilemma I'm facing... I inherited a mink coat and a leather coat with fur trim. What on earth should I do with it? I'm torn between not supporting fur and not letting a pair of twenty year old coats go to waste...

I think you just got your answer, Leonne!

Mail it to Bosnia! :D

My take on the fur coat is, the animals are already dead from long ago and you did nothing to encourage that to happen. You might as well wear it as not.

I'll wear fur if I have it, but I'm sure not gonna go buy any of it.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Oh, my gosh! I have a faux fur vest. If it's not really faux fur, I'd just die!

Booko

Deviled Hen
Seyorni said:
You would think that fur of any type would be costlier than its synthetic alternatives. Odd that an expensive product would be secretly substituted for a cheaper one.

Ah, but as some friends of ours from Beijing once explained to us, in China they use cat and dog fur all the time...after the animal dies naturally.

From their point of view, it's a waste not to use the fur and a tribute to your pet to make use of its fur later.

We uh...quietly suggested they NOT say that anywhere in public in this country. :eek:

Booko

Deviled Hen
Katzpur said:

I was amazed to find that if the article sells for less than $150, they don't have to tell you. :eek:

Some day we might have real truth in labeling in this country.

And pigs may fly.

Djamila

Bosnjakinja
Katzpur said:

Awww... I hope it is faux fur since it means that much to you!

Me, I have a white fur coat that comes to my ankles and is big and fluffy. I have a one that's grey/brown/black/white furt, kind of looks grey from a distance, that comes to my knees and is sleek and tight. And I have one that is reddish fur with white fur trim around the neck, along the edge where the buttons are, along the bottom, and around the end of the sleeves.

My sister has one that is completely black and shiney, it comes to her knees. She has one that's kind of a soft tan color that's really, really fluffy and comes half-way down her thigh.

And I bought our little angel her first fur coat two winters ago! :D

zor1pj5.jpg

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Djamila said:
Awww... I hope it is faux fur since it means that much to you!
To each his own, I suppose, but yes it really does mean that much to me. You couldn't pay me enough -- and I mean that sincerely -- to wear a real fur coat.

(Cute kid, though. :) )

ayani

i'm fine with wearing leather or fur that is given to me after no one wnats it no more. but i would not buy it, no.

i am so sorry about the fake labels! this is a crime.... why the dishonesty? i don't understand, really.

Booko

Deviled Hen
Katzpur said:
To each his own, I suppose, but yes it really does mean that much to me. You couldn't pay me enough -- and I mean that sincerely -- to wear a real fur coat.

Hm, I don't suppose there's a taxidermist anywhere near you?

They'd probably tell you for free.

I wouldn't have a problem wearing fur if it was something I killed myself for food (why waste the fur then?) but I haven't been hunting in years.

I made myself a pair of rabbit skin slippers once though. Nothing warmer for winter camping. ;) I grew out of them though, and had to give them to a friend.

I got a pair of down booties to replace them. I've worn them here in Georgia, when we lost power because of ice storms. Very handy.

Tigress

Working-Class W*nch.
Yikes! It's a good thing I'm not partial to faux fur either then (it's the feel and the thought of it being 'fur' that kinda freaks me out). My winter jacket contains real feathers, but it was given to me, so I wear it.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Animals raised for fur live short, miserable lives in cruel conditions, then suffer painful deaths, all to serve human vanity. Most western countries have anti-cruelty laws for dogs, cats, &c, based on these animal's ability to feel pain, neglect or misery.

The animals raised for fur are just as capable of suffering as we are, yet are rarely covered by any humane legislation. This is why many of us object to the sale of furs.

Excusing cruelty just 'cause another person/being is physically or mentally challenged, small, weak or otherwise powerless to resist it is perverse. It is a might-makes-right argument. A position you'd expect from the Nazis or SRS. The "God put them there for us to use as we will" argument is specious and unsupportable.

Quoth The Raven

Half Arsed Muse
evearael said:
Yeah, my grandmother and great aunt had fur coming out of their ears...everything from clipped lapin to fox stoles made from whole foxes - legs, head,tail,the lot - that look like something you'd see some woman wear in the Flintstones. My mum took all the real fur,though, so I've just got a couple of antique non-fur coats that are probably too fragile to wear anyway.

Radio Frequency X

World Leader Pretend
evearael said:

Give them to someone who would appreciate them.