• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

false information about diet and exercise

Riders

Yea I watched the series some of it, The Weight Of A Nation. There's a lot I disagree with on that. They were talking about the fact that its nearly impossible for is obese folks to lose weight, because the way the body does is that after you've lost all the way down, you have to stay on the diet forever to keep it off so its not fair.

Someones lost their weight has to stay on 12 to 1500 calories a day forever and a normal person gets to eat a a lot more how much? Only 400 calories more and they were making a big stink out of it. Its silly.

400 calories is nothing. Second place ts all a lie. They are assuming people on diet eat between 12 and 1500 calories and normal people eat 2600 to 2000 a day. Thats wrong.

My Mom was thin as a board. She ate whatever she wanted but kept the weight off but eating small amounts. I use to feed her. She ate somewhere between 900 and 1300 a day. Sorry. No thin people don't all eat like that.Id order a pia for us shed eat 1 slice of it which had 300 calories in it, that would be her dinner.

I made 2 scrambled eggs and cheese for her and coffee in the morning which would be worth about 300 calories.

I asked her Dr if she was eating enough he said if shes eating 3 times a day even small meals she was fine,she was healthy at the drs office.

I do eat was too much for about 2 months got back on my diet 2 weeks, ago, I ate 2100 calories from Jack In The Box one day and I lost a pound.

It was healthy lowfat meats though chicken breasts and pita with whole wheat bread. But still I've lost tons of weight, right now I'm down to 288, 22 pounds over the past 2 and a half weeks. I've never had to stay on exactly 1200 calories, so I'm not sure why they think that but its not true.

Some people who are thin can eat all they want and not gain weight its true. But quite often like one of my Moms friends could eat all she wanted and she stayed thin but she had high cholesterol and high blood pressure hypertension so she ended up on a lowfat low sodium diet anyways. So being thin does not mean they don't have to do a meal plan.

I don't think 400 calories is enough to wine over, they act like were being tortured to death by the food plan its silly.

I can eat 2 scrambled eggs with toast and 2 slice of cheese for 380 calories for breakfast. A half sand which with roast beef whole wheat bread and 1 slice cheese for 220 calories. Then have a serving of baked chips with it for 150 calories .
Then a lean cuisine individual pizza and fruit at night
that's between 11 and 1200 calories. That's a good day enough for anyone. So its not like were being tortured by 1200 calories.

My personal opinion is why some skinny people can eat what they want and stay thin is they were like my Mom , she ate what she wanted ins mall amounts only. That works for a lot of people.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Well metabolism plays a role. Some people can burn through calories faster than others.

I found I could cut weight easily by not drinking regular soda. I now drink diet without regrets . I can enjoy the same great taste and the aftertaste is hardly noticable anymore. I also cook meals more often than take out and use butter and egg substitutes more.

Vee

Premium Member
My personal opinion is why some skinny people can eat what they want and stay thin is they were like my Mom , she ate what she wanted ins mall amounts only. That works for a lot of people.

It is mostly about hormones, especially insulin. People are not all the same and each one needs to find what works for them, but calories and metabolism are a small part of a much bigger picture.
I used to gain weight very easily and without eating much while other people in my family could do all sorts of crazy meals and never gain one gram. Even though I wasn't obese I struggled with a few extra pounds that I couldn't get rid of. That was until I understood the role of insulin and started doing intermittent fasting. It's been the best, healthiest 2 years of my life and I never want to go back to the way I used to eat before. Doesn't mean it will work for everyone so I encourage you to do your own research.

Mindmaster

Premium Member

It's all about carbs, you don't need them much. Calories are a worthless measure -- they literally are formulated by physically burning an item and taking a reading. Your body doesn't literally burn your food. It digests it via chemical processes...

Anyway, if you keep your carb intake to 10-30% of RDA and eat more healthy fats you lose tons of weight doing nothing. Most of this carb intake comes in the form of corn syrup, sugar, and so on in the American diet. Stop eating that crap -- but, that being said corn is OK to eat in natural form, or made into chips -- if you take in carbs they must come with fiber or they spike your glucose and the body releases insulin to turn them to fat to keep you from dying. :D I lost 80 pounds and I eat crap like cheeseburgers w/fries (remember, contain fiber and are cooked in a fat! Not as bad for your blood sugar as you think, lol)

I've lost a ton of weight on just switching that crap out and moving to whole grain breads. I don't consume any sugar at all, but I keep a little around (some candy, it keeps forever) because sometimes I cut it too low and need a bit or I start getting dizzy. Replace the missing carbs with healthy fats and protein on the plate, despite what people think -- fat doesn't make you fat, your body takes a lot more effort to convert it to energy prohibiting the spikes.

So the short is -- if you're fat, you're eating too much carbs, not enough protein and fat. Generally, for this to work you just need as much protein and fat as visual amount of carb. That'l mean you're already eating more of the good stuff than the bad stuff without really strictly having to manage a diet. For example, I'd still have a cheeseburger w/fries but the burger is a double burger w/bacon and the fries are small. The problem with the cheeseburger is that normally the bun is most of the food, you have to eat it with more meat or it's going to make you fat. It's also better if you can eat it on whole grain buns. (Have more fiber, no corn syrup, and absorb more slowly.) Lost 80 pounds and this is all I do, lol. I eat what I want, I just change the ratios. Want pizza? Ok, double cheese and double meat -- have to cancel out the crust. Eat a piece or two less... you can still have it. One of the foods that should be eaten rarely is hotdogs -- there is very low meat to bun ratio, so it's impossible not to spike even with the whole wheat buns. About the best option on those is a all meat chili "chili dog", but it'd have to be absolutely stuffed with chili and cheese. :D (Not the bean chili, which is fine by itself, but has carbs.)

Upside of my diet -- eat all the damn fat and protein you want. You're never hungry. :D

P.S. - If you eat too much protein or fat you just do a more frequent #2. At least you're not wearing it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vee

Riders

It's all about carbs, you don't need them much. Calories are a worthless measure -- they literally are formulated by physically burning an item and taking a reading. Your body doesn't literally burn your food. It digests it via chemical processes...

Anyway, if you keep your carb intake to 10-30% of RDA and eat more healthy fats you lose tons of weight doing nothing. Most of this carb intake comes in the form of corn syrup, sugar, and so on in the American diet. Stop eating that crap -- but, that being said corn is OK to eat in natural form, or made into chips -- if you take in carbs they must come with fiber or they spike your glucose and the body releases insulin to turn them to fat to keep you from dying. :D I lost 80 pounds and I eat crap like cheeseburgers w/fries (remember, contain fiber and are cooked in a fat! Not as bad for your blood sugar as you think, lol)

I've lost a ton of weight on just switching that crap out and moving to whole grain breads. I don't consume any sugar at all, but I keep a little around (some candy, it keeps forever) because sometimes I cut it too low and need a bit or I start getting dizzy. Replace the missing carbs with healthy fats and protein on the plate, despite what people think -- fat doesn't make you fat, your body takes a lot more effort to convert it to energy prohibiting the spikes.

So the short is -- if you're fat, you're eating too much carbs, not enough protein and fat. Generally, for this to work you just need as much protein and fat as visual amount of carb. That'l mean you're already eating more of the good stuff than the bad stuff without really strictly having to manage a diet. For example, I'd still have a cheeseburger w/fries but the burger is a double burger w/bacon and the fries are small. The problem with the cheeseburger is that normally the bun is most of the food, you have to eat it with more meat or it's going to make you fat. It's also better if you can eat it on whole grain buns. (Have more fiber, no corn syrup, and absorb more slowly.) Lost 80 pounds and this is all I do, lol. I eat what I want, I just change the ratios. Want pizza? Ok, double cheese and double meat -- have to cancel out the crust. Eat a piece or two less... you can still have it. One of the foods that should be eaten rarely is hotdogs -- there is very low meat to bun ratio, so it's impossible not to spike even with the whole wheat buns. About the best option on those is a all meat chili "chili dog", but it'd have to be absolutely stuffed with chili and cheese. :D

Upside of my diet -- eat all the damn fat and protein you want. You're never hungry. :D

Sense I'm a carb addict I agree with you on me. I've been doing it on and off seeing some weight loss which is good.

2 or 3 breads made fro whole wheat or corn and maybe one serving of beans and 1 fruit and vegetable 3 milks a day and protein that's it.

I don't know if I agree that everyone has to go by that.

Some people say we all need to be on low salt and no spicy food too. I take after my Mom with blood pressure, low blood pressure no hypertension .

My sister tried to tell my dr to tell me to eat no salt and no spicy foods. She answered not only is my blood pressure low but my salt levels are low all the time. So there's no need for me to take salt out or even spicy foods, my body does not react to it.

But so I am not into the thinking that everyone has to eat the same way. However carbs are the devil to me anyways, my worst eating habit cokes are the worst then chocolate and anything sweet really.

Vee

Premium Member

So the short is -- if you're fat, you're eating too much carbs, not enough protein and fat. Generally, for this to work you just need as much protein and fat as visual amount of carb. That'l mean you're already eating more of the good stuff than the bad stuff without really strictly having to manage a diet. For example, I'd still have a cheeseburger w/fries but the burger is a double burger w/bacon and the fries are small. The problem with the cheeseburger is that normally the bun is most of the food, you have to eat it with more meat or it's going to make you fat. It's also better if you can eat it on whole grain buns. (Have more fiber, no corn syrup, and absorb more slowly.) Lost 80 pounds and this is all I do, lol. I eat what I want, I just change the ratios. Want pizza? Ok, double cheese and double meat -- have to cancel out the crust. Eat a piece or two less... you can still have it. One of the foods that should be eaten rarely is hotdogs -- there is very low meat to bun ratio, so it's impossible not to spike even with the whole wheat buns. About the best option on those is a all meat chili "chili dog", but it'd have to be absolutely stuffed with chili and cheese. :D (Not the bean chili, which is fine by itself, but has carbs.)

P.S. - If you eat too much protein or fat you just do a more frequent #2. At least you're not wearing it.

U doing keto?

Riders

No but do use low fats not high fats, and I use a model diet i made up but in part has been taken from the Body for life diet, they eat 5 or 6 meals a day. I don't think i need to eat that much.I don't have to count calories.

But their meals are one protein, one carb and maybe one milk up to 3 milks a day. So i protein is the size of my first, i don't go exactly by that but one serving is the size of a fist .

So one carb which can be a vegetable or a fruit,up to 2 fruits a day, except bananas and grapes, and or a whole wheat bread or bread made from corn and maybe a slice of cheese or cup of milk:

So 5 or 6 small meals which all together has 5 or 6 six proteins, 2 or 3 breads made from whole wheat or corn 3 milks a day and vegetables, and 2 fruits a day.

But I eat 3 or 4 meals, don't go by the size of my first but if I get a small individual saucer and my food fits on there, a small amount I'm ok .I don't have to count my calories that way.

Riders

I got my foodplan found out about body for life through one of my celebrity obsessions lol, I use to have a big crush on Danny Woods from New Kid On The Block.

They reunited use to be an 80s boyband they reunited and 10 years ago I got an obsession. But Danny Woods became a fitness guru over the years after his boy band days.

So he recommended it to us fans who followed him and especially women. I use to go work out at the 24 hour fitness too, and they actually told me a lot of their fitness experts and people who are professional trainers and that use either BFL.

Sometimes a diet similar to it, low carb low fat meat, oh yea and its lowfat I forgot to say that before, 5 meals a day that are small.

So BFL despite the fact that it came from my celebrity obsession is good, I also discussed it with my dr, he said either weight watchers or BFL are both good programs so.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
Well metabolism plays a role.

This is a huge point, not a minor one. For most practical purposes, an athletic, muscular person that weighs X pounds burns more calories per hour at rest, than a sedentary person with less muscle and more fat, who also weighs X pounds.

Mindmaster

Premium Member
U doing keto?

No, just technically Low-Carb High-Fat / Protein. Keto isn't really good for your body, at least from everything I've heard. If I take any carbs in they're in limited forms. (Whole products, etc.) Occasionally, I'll have an ice cream or something I just don't do it often. It's not a sporadic impulse consumption once in a great while that is going to be the problem. It's when your diet is largely carbs. Anyway, I think keto has a place -- like if you're working out and want to get cut, but it's not a long term diet and most people who do it, do it temporarily. For me, I need something I can do every day without feeling hungry. So, what I am doing is the need for that. Upside, I feel better with no downside. I also don't avoid particular types of meat or anything -- I eat fish, chicken, pork, beef, or anything else I want. If you want a health problem, it's too much of anything -- evade food diets (like don't eat red meat) don't work unless you want to eat really boring selections of foods. Small quantities of anything really do no harm, you're better off with a variety of foods not eating too much of any one thing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vee

Mindmaster

Premium Member
Sense I'm a carb addict I agree with you on me. I've been doing it on and off seeing some weight loss which is good.

2 or 3 breads made fro whole wheat or corn and maybe one serving of beans and 1 fruit and vegetable 3 milks a day and protein that's it.

I don't know if I agree that everyone has to go by that.

Some people say we all need to be on low salt and no spicy food too. I take after my Mom with blood pressure, low blood pressure no hypertension .

My sister tried to tell my dr to tell me to eat no salt and no spicy foods. She answered not only is my blood pressure low but my salt levels are low all the time. So there's no need for me to take salt out or even spicy foods, my body does not react to it.

But so I am not into the thinking that everyone has to eat the same way. However carbs are the devil to me anyways, my worst eating habit cokes are the worst then chocolate and anything sweet really.

Milk = carbs, beans = carbs.

The way the American diet is carbs are like sneaky ninjas in every meal. You do not need to supplement them at all. Some carbs don't really matter though, like a baked potato. (They're complex carbs, and also come with protein. Stay the hell away from sweet potatoes and grapes though.) Some of the things that dieters eat the most of that screw them up: milk (cheese is OK, the carbs were digested in the process of creation! :D), white bread (any, it's all got **** loads of corn syrup in it), condiments (most ketchup has corn syrup in it, but there are varieties that do not! buy those), Milk is only acceptable if it's a minor ingredient or in something else.

You cannot drink soda and not be fat, in most cases... You can have any of the "zero" sodas, any of the sugar-free drinks, and so on. Some of these taste bad, some are perfectly acceptable. They're the only ones you can have if you're serious about losing weight. You can also have tea, coffee, and any number of other things. Do not replace with fruit juice -- they're just solid sugar really, lol. If you're drinking sugary soda this is your #1 to cut, it's responsible for most of the carbs you consume in a day. One can of soda (12 oz) is already (13% of RDA) 50% of the daily carbs I'd eat in an entire day -- just imagine if you had two. (I'm sure it's more than that, 2 is nothing, lol.) Also, that RDA thing depends on activity level, if you do less you need less. So if you're not lifting some heavy boxes or something take that number to half. As I've stated somewhere here before I eat less than 30% of the RDA on carbs, period. I do not monitor or control fat/protein amounts at all, just eat whatever it takes to feel full.

There is candy you can have -- chocolate isn't too bad, but anything peanut butter filled is better. (The proteins counteract the rapid absorption of the sugars.) If you gotta have a chocolate try some of the sugar free ones (they make them for diabetics, many of them taste good. But, be wary... sugar-free doesn't mean carb free, lol.) or in lieu of that get the dark ones (they have less milk and sugar, and they taste amazing). Try to stay away from anything with "corn syrup" as an ingredient, natural sugar is not even nearly as bad. If you can't buy this sort of thing and limit yourself to a couple of pieces a day don't buy them at all.

Also, remember that fats can be converted to energy if you cut carbs and fats you will find yourself dragging. It's better if you get your energy via fat sources though, as again they never spike your blood sugar so they never become fat on your body. If your body doesn't need them, it just gets rid of it rather than wearing it.

Last edited:

Riders

Milk = carbs, beans = carbs.

The way the American diet is carbs are like sneaky ninjas in every meal. You do not need to supplement them at all. Some carbs don't really matter though, like a baked potato. (They're complex carbs, and also come with protein. Stay the hell away from sweet potatoes and grapes though.) Some of the things that dieters eat the most of that screw them up: milk (cheese is OK, the carbs were digested in the process of creation! :D), white bread (any, it's all got **** loads of corn syrup in it), condiments (most ketchup has corn syrup in it, but there are varieties that do not! buy those), Milk is only acceptable if it's a minor ingredient or in something else.

You cannot drink soda and not be fat, in most cases... You can have any of the "zero" sodas, any of the sugar-free drinks, and so on. Some of these taste bad, some are perfectly acceptable. They're the only ones you can have if you're serious about losing weight. You can also have tea, coffee, and any number of other things. Do not replace with fruit juice -- they're just solid sugar really, lol. If you're drinking sugary soda this is your #1 to cut, it's responsible for most of the carbs you consume in a day. One can of soda (12 oz) is already (13% of RDA) 50% of the daily carbs I'd eat in an entire day -- just imagine if you had two. (I'm sure it's more than that, 2 is nothing, lol.) Also, that RDA thing depends on activity level, if you do less you need less. So if you're not lifting some heavy boxes or something take that number to half. As I've stated somewhere here before I eat less than 30% of the RDA on carbs, period. I do not monitor or control fat/protein amounts at all, just eat whatever it takes to feel full.

There is candy you can have -- chocolate isn't too bad, but anything peanut butter filled is better. (The proteins counteract the rapid absorption of the sugars.) If you gotta have a chocolate try some of the sugar free ones (they make them for diabetics, many of them taste good. But, be wary... sugar-free doesn't mean carb free, lol.) or in lieu of that get the dark ones (they have less milk and sugar, and they taste amazing). Try to stay away from anything with "corn syrup" as an ingredient, natural sugar is not even nearly as bad. If you can't buy this sort of thing and limit yourself to a couple of pieces a day don't buy them at all.

Also, remember that fats can be converted to energy if you cut carbs and fats you will find yourself dragging. It's better if you get your energy via fat sources though, as again they never spike your blood sugar so they never become fat on your body.

I agree with some of that but I've left out milk before and got sick,My Dr told my sister that it would make me anemic mostly likely so i don't agree on that nor the beans.Black beans have more protien then anything.

Mindmaster

Premium Member
I agree with some of that but I've left out milk before and got sick,My Dr told my sister that it would make me anemic mostly likely so i don't agree on that nor the beans.Black beans have more protien then anything.

It does depend on the beans, different varieties can be good or bad. Also, definitely not a problem as a side on most meals either way if it's really the only carb source.

You need to drink absolutely zero milk. You are not a cow. :D Almost all the green veggies are great for calcium, most people eat them, so there is very little chance of a shortage. Also, you still get the calcium by eating cheese without the carbs. But, honestly, you should be taking a woman's vitamin daily and almost all of those contain enough calcium to not worry about it at all. If you're anemic you need foods that contain iron -- wife has the same problem. She eats things like liverwurst and other organ meats to deal with that problem, hence it has been no problem. :D

Riders

It does depend on the beans, different varieties can be good or bad. Also, definitely not a problem as a side on most meals either way if it's really the only carb source.

You need to drink absolutely zero milk. You are not a cow. :D Almost all the green veggies are great for calcium, most people eat them, so there is very little chance of a shortage. Also, you still get the calcium by eating cheese without the carbs. But, honestly, you should be taking a woman's vitamin daily and almost all of those contain enough calcium to not worry about it at all. If you're anemic you need foods that contain iron -- wife has the same problem. She eats things like liverwurst and other organ meats to deal with that problem, hence it has been no problem. :D

Thanks

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member

I'm no diet expert, but your point about corn syrup is a good one.
Food labelling clarity (or being able to interpret them) is important. I'm all for personal choice in this...crappy or misleading food labels reduce many people's ability to understand the choices they make.

Mindmaster

Premium Member
I'm no diet expert, but your point about corn syrup is a good one.
Food labelling clarity (or being able to interpret them) is important. I'm all for personal choice in this...crappy or misleading food labels reduce many people's ability to understand the choices they make.

I'm not either, but I just know "what works". It's not some crazy diet, or a lot of exercise. (Working out burns a tiny amount of carbs compared to the modern intake of it.) You can workout until you fall over and die, you still won't lose much weight. Certainly, muscle tone and cardio will improve -- that's the primary reason to do it, but not weight. I wasn't looking for weight control so much as not needing to run around with an insulin pump in my elder years. The weight loss was just a good side effect. :D

Anyway, my point was simply that you don't have to eat less just change what you eat. If your carbs are low you're going to lose fat, bottom line. But, that being said I eat all the meat, veggies, and pretty much everything else with some minor restrictions on extra-sugary natural food. (the whole grapes, sweet potatoes, etc. thing... you can have grapes in your wine though, if it's over 12% alcohol then the alcohol in the wine will cancel out the residual sugars because your liver will process alcohol before it deals with sugar... :D) If you wanna cheat day drink a few classes of wine or mixed drinks (all the hard liquor and any combo of them are fine, but make sure you're using sugar-free tonic / stay away from pre-mixed flavorings) and eat some garbage. Your blood sugar will barely move, so your insulin won't get produced (what makes you fat, ultimately), and you won't feel denied. It's not practical to do that frequently, obviously, but it works. :D

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm not either, but I just know "what works". It's not some crazy diet, or a lot of exercise. (Working out burns a tiny amount of carbs compared to the modern intake of it.) You can workout until you fall over and die, you still won't lose much weight. Certainly, muscle tone and cardio will improve -- that's the primary reason to do it, but not weight. I wasn't looking for weight control so much as not needing to run around with an insulin pump in my elder years. The weight loss was just a good side effect. :D

Anyway, my point was simply that you don't have to eat less just change what you eat. If your carbs are low you're going to lose fat, bottom line. But, that being said I eat all the meat, veggies, and pretty much everything else with some minor restrictions on extra-sugary natural food. (the whole grapes, sweet potatoes, etc. thing... you can have grapes in your wine though, if it's over 12% alcohol then the alcohol in the wine will cancel out the residual sugars because your liver will process alcohol before it deals with sugar... :D) If you wanna cheat day drink a few classes of wine or mixed drinks (all the hard liquor and any combo of them are fine, but make sure you're using sugar-free tonic / stay away from pre-mixed flavorings) and eat some garbage. Your blood sugar will barely move, so your insulin won't get produced (what makes you fat, ultimately), and you won't feel denied. It's not practical to do that frequently, obviously, but it works. :D

I eat healthy, exercise, and am in generally good health for my age.
But beer is my weakness, so I'm a little softer round the middle than ideal. Still...beer...*drools*.

Brickjectivity

One
Staff member
Premium Member
In my family its about maintaining tummy. We have a long, long history of tummy. Our DNA exists for two reasons: reproduction and tummy. No tummy = no DNA.

Mindmaster

Premium Member
I eat healthy, exercise, and am in generally good health for my age.
But beer is my weakness, so I'm a little softer round the middle than ideal. Still...beer...*drools*.

Beer isn't too bad as long as it's real beer. Some beer is flavored with corn syrup in the states, and of course, they're not labeled. Personally, I recommend German, Irish, or beers from other regions where the ingredients are _mandated_ to be nothing weird. In the states your beer can contain rice, corn, and a bunch of other things -- most of the Euro beer is water, hops, and wheat or barley. Those are what are making you fat... If it's wheat or barley, you're OK. :D Also, higher alcohol content in the beer is better for your gut... The lower the alcohol percentage the more of the sugars can be absorbed. :D

But honestly, you're better off with the hard stuff or wine -- both are usually drastically higher in alcohol content and you never have to worry about it.

Riders

Wine and beer is off limits too me, i am diabetic, a year and a half ago right before my histerectomy I drink some Mikes hard Cherry lemon aid which is yummy with my guy friend.

I kept 4 for myself 2 for him. I drink 4 in one week and probably over ate. But when I over eat I don't put on more then 10 pounds a week, I put on 20 pounds in one week! Any kind of alcohol shoots my blood sugar up high makes me gain weight fast.