• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Faith?

Alone

Banned by request
that what Paul was after, saying that the Law can not improve consciousness (Heb.9) and keep veil on worshippers eyes (2Cor3), all it reflects conflict that was between Paul and Peter/James understanding.
Hmmmmm..... I'll have to check those scripture references and think about that one a little bit.

leov

Hmmmmm..... I'll have to check those scripture references and think about that one a little bit.
"According to this arrangement, gifts and sacrifices are offered that cannot perfect the conscience of the worshiper" Heb 9:9
"15Yes, to this day whenever Moses is read a veil lies over their hearts. 16But when one turns to the Lord, the veil is removed" 2 Cor 3

Alone

Banned by request
that what Paul was after, saying that the Law can not improve consciousness (Heb.9) and keep veil on worshippers eyes (2Cor3), all it reflects conflict that was between Paul and Peter/James understanding.
Okay so I read those two chapters, I guess I'm not understanding what you're saying exactly? There was a conflict with Paul and Peter and James? Or the veil lifted from the old testament law through Christ or I'm just not sure what you're saying.

leov

Okay so I read those two chapters, I guess I'm not understanding what you're saying exactly? There was a conflict with Paul and Peter and James? Or the veil lifted from the old testament law through Christ or I'm just not sure what you're saying.
conflict, yes, they had to divide their world, James wanted some Law items retained, Paul was down in Peter, check Galatians.

Alone

Banned by request
conflict, yes, they had to divide their world, James wanted some Law items retained, Paul was down in Peter, check Galatians.
Oh okay yeah I know what you talk about now. So the law is still relevant to us today though right?, As long as we understand that it cannot save us? We should still try to follow it though huh?

leov

"20For I tell you, unless your righteousness exceeds that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven."
Paul's teaching was along this line.

leov

Oh okay yeah I know what you talk about now. So the law is still relevant to us today though right?, As long as we understand that it cannot save us? We should still try to follow it though huh?
relavent? it depends on your consciousness, most of the Law through collective unconscious became part of human essense, but, as you know, not for all. i think , that was a plan from get go to spread consciousness throughout the world using diaspora of Hebrews until it became norm on world's consciousness, first good consciousness in the Book then in the world's consciousness in the heart. Paul speaks about Christ consciousness in the heart vs in the Law which in the Book.

leov

relavent? it depends on your consciousness, most of the Law through collective unconscious became part of human essense, but, as you know, not for all. i think , that was a plan from get go to spread consciousness throughout the world using diaspora of Hebrews until it became norm on world's consciousness, first good consciousness in the Book then in the world's consciousness in the heart. Paul speaks about Christ consciousness in the heart vs in the Law which in the Book.

idea

Question Everything
Okay that is a very interesting take on that, definitely things I will have to think about, I guess the whole idea behind this is knowing whether or not I will be in heaven after I die according to the Bible faith is the only way to get there so if I can't prove I have faith I can't prove that I will go to heaven? Thank you for your comment very useful

the substance of things hoped for - what do you hope for? I hope for salvation for all - heaven for all. seems like it would not be heaven at all if everyone was not refined, and everyone was not there rejoicing together. First decide what you have hope in, and faith will follow.

Alone

Banned by request
the substance of things hoped for - what do you hope for? I hope for salvation for all - heaven for all. seems like it would not be heaven at all if everyone was not refined, and everyone was not there rejoicing together. First decide what you have hope in, and faith will follow.
Okay, thank you

halbhh

The wonder and awe of "all things".
Well to be honest with you, I don't really like to say this, however I have actually read the Bible from cover to cover multiple times, preacher 0nce told me, you got the book smarts but not the heart smarts, it's like I said I was on fire supposedly at one point, and all I could do was read and nothing else, but now it's almost like it scares me to read it, go figure I think that's kind of why I got on this forum hoping that it would stir up my mind again to get back in it ,and it seems to be at least going in that particular direction especially now after people telling me to get back into it, that definitely helps. So thanks again for your comments
Maybe somewhat like me. :) I read it through about age 11 or 12, and then a 2nd time a year or so later. And it was more of just reading than really pausing to absorb and think or be changed by what I was reading.

Now I read very differently. I am not in a hurry to finish a book in the Bible as I'm reading one. I'm more interested in absorbing every jewel in every chapter.

Now when I read, I'm really taking my time! I'm like someone that paused along the road, and is standing there, stopped. Searching. Waiting.

Listening....

Now, I want to totally silence every thought, all the noise, every doctrine laid aside, forgotten, and just hear.

It could take a month to read a gospel that way, or maybe 3.

Some days I can read a chapter in a gospel. But there are days when I read just 1 or 2 verses Jesus said, and I'm so full that have have to just stop and dwell with the words. They are in me, and I'm changed, and it's heaven.

Alone

Banned by request
Maybe somewhat like me. :) I read it through about age 11 or 12, and then a 2nd time a year or so later. And it was more of just reading than really pausing to absorb and think or be changed by what I was reading.

Now I read very differently. I am not in a hurry to finish a book in the Bible as I'm reading one. I'm more interested in absorbing every jewel in every chapter.

Now when I read, I'm really taking my time! I'm like someone that paused along the road, and is standing there, stopped. Searching. Waiting.

Listening....

Now, I want to totally silence every thought, all the noise, every doctrine laid aside, forgotten, and just hear.

It could take a month to read a gospel that way, or maybe 3.

Some days I can read a chapter in a gospel. But there are days when I read just 1 or 2 verses Jesus said, and I'm so full that have have to just stop and dwell with the words. They are in me, and I'm changed, and it's heaven.
That is great!

pearl

One of the greatest 'sins' against faith is despair. To have faith is to have hope.
“man ceases to hope for his personal salvation from God, for help in attaining it or for the forgiveness of his sins

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
That is a good question I'll have to think about that.
Something else to think about? Related to fear but from a different perspective. There is , unfortunately this thing, a phase that people go thru called "Existential Dread"? Have you heard of it? It sounds awful, but there's a silver lining. I think it's perfectly normal for everyone, ( especially for thinkers ) to go thru a phase of "Existential Dread". My Daughter went thru it. I went thru it.

There's light at the end. But, it's not super fun along the way... I'm sorry to say.

So maybe there's 2 ways of looking at the feeling you get when you are reading.

1) It could excitement, because you are intellectualizing on deep ( slightly ominous ) subjects. But it's exciting because, you are starting to understand it. But it's still a little scary.

2) It could be that reading it is helping you mature, naturally, and part of that... along the way... is the realization that it's possible all of this is meaningless. And that is really scary. That's real fear. But it's temporary. That's "Existential Dread".

Either way, you should keep reading :)

Last edited:

Alone

Banned by request
One of the greatest 'sins' against faith is despair. To have faith is to have hope.
“man ceases to hope for his personal salvation from God, for help in attaining it or for the forgiveness of his sins
I'm not sure I quite understand you totally, the simple fact that I am desperate is what drives me to seek forgiveness? Does that make any sense

Alone

Banned by request
Something else to think about? Related to fear but from a different perspective. There is , unfortunately this thing, a phase that people go thru called "Existential Dread"? Have you heard of it? It sounds awful, but there's a silver lining. I think it's perfectly normal for everyone, ( especially for thinkers ) to go thru a phase of "Existential Dread". My Daughter went thru it. I went thru it.

There's light at the end. But, it's not super fun along the way... I'm sorry to say.

So maybe there's 2 ways of looking at the feeling you get when you are reading.

1) It could excitement, because you are intellectualizing on deep ( slightly ominous ) subjects. But it's exciting because, you are starting to understand it. But it's still a little scary.

2) It could be that reading it is helping you mature, naturally, and part of that... along the way... is the realization that it's possible all of this is meaningless. And that is really scary. That's real fear. But it's temporary. That's "Existential Dread".

Either way, you should keep reading :)
No I have not heard of that I will have to look into it thanks