• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Faith in Christ is Completely Logical

Skwim

Veteran Member
Hey Serenity! What's with skipping over the very first reply to your OP?

Skwim said:
Serenity7855 said:
I am looking for someone to stump me on any aspect of Gods marvelous work and wonder to bring to pass the salvation and eternal life of mankind.

I assume by "stump me" you mean you can explain any such aspect to your satisfaction. Not much of a challenge is it. On the other hand, if you're willing to explain any such aspect to the satisfaction of others, then you're on. Satisfy me that keeping others from his big plan of salvation---either by not reveling it to them or sending incompetent messengers to explain it---qualifies as a marvelous work.

So, address my stumper or admit you've been stumped.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Whether I can understand why they might wish for such a thing is irrelevant. I can see why people might wish for leprechauns to lead them to a pot of gold. Those wishes are unrealistic though, based on nothing demonstrable and supported by no objective evidence. Just because you want something doesn't mean it's real.
I believe you that wishing alone won't make anything real. Though I disagree with you that unrealistic wishes can't come true.
Look up Lizzie Velasquez. Do you think what became of her wasn't "unrealistic"?

Cephus

Relentlessly Rational
I believe you that wishing alone won't make anything real. Though I disagree with you that unrealistic wishes can't come true.
Look up Lizzie Velasquez. Do you think what became of her wasn't "unrealistic"?

What became of her had nothing to do with wishes, she was born with a rare genetic disorder that I wouldn't wish on anyone.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
And you have the argument from ignorance. Maybe you ought to stop appealing to logical fallacies.
OK! Tell us. How did each part of DNA "know" to come together in just the right way? Have I missed some breaking news? It is true I don't watch the news but surely an atheist or a hundred would have shared such wonderful news with us who hate truth. While you are at it why not tell us how life all over Earth is the same. Same DNA. I don't know why there aren't two, three or four kinds of DNA. Do you?

Cephus

Relentlessly Rational
OK! Tell us. How did each part of DNA "know" to come together in just the right way? Have I missed some breaking news? It is true I don't watch the news but surely an atheist or a hundred would have shared such wonderful news with us who hate truth. While you are at it why not tell us how life all over Earth is the same. Same DNA. I don't know why there aren't two, three or four kinds of DNA. Do you?

It's not a conscious process, it's a chemical one. Maybe you ought to look up a basic primer on how chemical bonds work.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It's not a conscious process, it's a chemical one. Maybe you ought to look up a basic primer on how chemical bonds work.
Of course it is not a conscious process. Why aren't there more kinds of DNA. Why only one?

nazz

Doubting Thomas
If my faith can be rocked then I have it all wrong and though I will be disappointed I would rather live by the truth then by a lie. I am a devout Christian of some fourth years. I have tried in earnest to fault the Plan of redemption and find a fault. I have never come close. No one has ever fulfilled the challenge either. If I sound over confident then i apologise but I am only coming across that way because no one has succeeded in finding any anomalies in the plan.

Oh, I never preach to the disbeliever. I have come to the conclusion that you have to want to believe, nobody can force it on you. Pure personal choice. Ask me a question, though, and I will give you an answer.
Rather than ask you a question I will just tell you why I no longer believe in the conventional Christian view. It began when I realized that the idea of a just God sending people to eternal torture was a contradiction. There is more but I will start there.

Cephus

Relentlessly Rational
So smart! You are. NOT. I meant that she speaks in a public forum. How did THAT happen?

She's alive and can articulate herself? Is this somehow amazing to you? Steven Hawking can do the same thing and he's a lot worse off than she is.

Cephus

Relentlessly Rational
Of course it is not a conscious process. Why aren't there more kinds of DNA. Why only one?

You're the one who asked how it "knew" how to do things, implying you think it is a conscious process. If you want to rid yourself of your ignorance of basic biology, go read a book.

nazz

Doubting Thomas
I am not sure what point you are making here. If you are saying that Adam and Eve dwelt in the presence God and they were sinners then you would be wrong. When Adam and Eve were initially in the Garden of Eden they were in a state of perfection, as was everything that existed in the garden, and they walked and talked with God in their perfection. When they sinned, and the fall took place rendering them mortal and imperfect, God no longer appeared before them, they only heard his voice. God cannot dwell in the presence of inperfection and man would whither and die in His presence.
Where in the first chapters of Genesis are these ideas found? Where does it say everything was perfect and that man was immortal?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
She's alive and can articulate herself? Is this somehow amazing to you? Steven Hawking can do the same thing and he's a lot worse off than she is.
He wasn't born ugly. How in a world where beauty is paramount did she even have an imagination that anyone would put her on a stage? YOU said wishing is nothing. I say I prove you wrong because there she is!

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
You're the one who asked how it "knew" how to do things, implying you think it is a conscious process. If you want to rid yourself of your ignorance of basic biology, go read a book.
It didn't know. That is what these " " mean. Dah!

What is the name for a perfect start? It isn't "know". What is it?

Cephus

Relentlessly Rational
He wasn't born ugly. How in a world where beauty is paramount did she even have an imagination that anyone would put her on a stage? YOU said wishing is nothing. I say I prove you wrong because there she is!

Maybe you have a very narrow viewpoint but there are tons of ugly people out there that are motivational speakers. It's not a miracle by any means, lots of people want to see people worse off than them so they can feel better about themselves.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Maybe you have a very narrow viewpoint but there are tons of ugly people out there that are motivational speakers. It's not a miracle by any means, lots of people want to see people worse off than them so they can feel better about themselves.
It doesn't say much for the human race. Does it? There you have brought out one reason why faith in Christ is logical. WE do not "want to see" people worse off than we are. We will be satisfied to see EVERYONE better off than we are in this world. We know we have something better.

Cephus

Relentlessly Rational
It doesn't say much for the human race. Does it? There you have brought out one reason why faith in Christ is logical. WE do not "want to see" people worse off than we are. We will be satisfied to see EVERYONE better off than we are in this world. We know we have something better.

Your emotional response aside, since it is entirely irrelevant, all you are doing is making pronouncements, not observations. You wish you had something better, you have no actual knowledge that such a thing actually exists. Wishful thinking is nothing to be proud of.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Shall I spell it out for you? Not the better part. The part about "lots" of people wanting to see other people worse off than they.