• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Failed implosion at Pontiac Silverdome

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
The Boom Was A Bust: Pontiac Silverdome Blows Up, Doesn't Come Down

Some of the Twitter comments were kind of funny.

"Once again angry people leave the Silverdome after a disappointing ending"

"We're 10 minutes post-explosion & the #Silverdome is still standing. The place must be waiting until the 4th quarter to actually implode."

"After attempting to implode the Pontiac Silverdome, the Lions now still have as many successful Stadium implosions as they do Super Bowl trophies"

I don't really understand this propensity towards wanting to blow up stadiums anyway. Wrigley Field has been around for over 100 years. The Rose Bowl is almost 100 years old. In contrast, the Silverdome was less than half that old, and yet, they still wanted to blow it up. The Georgia Dome was also recently demolished, and it was only 25 years old. Considering how much they spend to build these places, it seems like a lot of wasted money that they don't last as long as one might expect.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I remember back when the Silverdome was proposed, Lou Gordon had a TV show
where he raked muck. (I liked the show.) I recall that he promised to eat a shovel of
dirt if the publicly financed Silverdome went ahead. I don't know if he ever ate that dirt.

David T

Premium Member

I don't really understand this propensity towards wanting to blow up stadiums anyway. Wrigley Field has been around for over 100 years. The Rose Bowl is almost 100 years old. In contrast, the Silverdome was less than half that old, and yet, they still wanted to blow it up. The Georgia Dome was also recently demolished, and it was only 25 years old. Considering how much they spend to build these places, it seems like a lot of wasted money that they don't last as long as one might expect.
you anti evolutionist!!!
What's wrong with you its survival of the fittest. Our assessments are growing larger so it needs to be larger softer seats with special boxes for the Lords and Kings to keep them apart from the rable!!!! Like you!!! No logic no one practices proper science logic here. Except me and one or two others of my choosing depending on the day.

On a side note the lions are great at collapsing I figured the building would drop easily. Apparently the the playoffs havent started.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Stadiums are like laptops, because they have a million fasteners. Blowing them up doesn't work.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

I hate whenever that happens. Many times using taxpayers money for something that's simply not nessessary.

It just shows just what a throwaway society we've collectively become.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I watched the "implosion" on local t.v. as I live about a 20 minute drive from the Silverdome when we're at our place near Detroit. When it failed, I though "How symbolic-- just like the Detroit Lions!".