• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Facing a reader's block. In need of advice.

Cerridwen33

Curiouser and curiouser!
I have been a bookworm all my life, but it's been more than a year since I cannot even open a book, or read a few pages at least. I have my ereader full of interesting books, I only need to identify the problem...
Some advice?

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
That is a good idea.

Also stop using social media after 6 pm. It gives you adrenaline spikes and can be like an addiction that keeps you from sleeping.

Try reading first thing in the morning or at the end of the day. Be prepared to fall asleep with the book.

In the middle of the day try drinking very strong green tea, turn off your phone and then sit down to read. If the tea has a good amount of L-Theanine in it, you should feel an enhanced desire to chill and may be able to read long enough to get hooked on something.

Infinitum

Possessed Bookworm
I second the cutting down on social media. Another thing I've noticed with my own reading is that too much to choose from makes it harder to start, let alone finish. Try also going outside your usual genres once in a while. Pick up something new and wonderful and try to ignore the other books for a while.

But really, these days the most important thing is definitely just taking enough time to read, because there's constantly so much else going on that distracts us. If you can, take the book to a place where there's no TV, no Internet, no phone, and then read for as long as you can.

Guy Threepwood

Mighty Pirate
I have been a bookworm all my life, but it's been more than a year since I cannot even open a book, or read a few pages at least. I have my ereader full of interesting books, I only need to identify the problem...
Some advice?

Have you tried reading glasses? even if you have perfectly good eyesight, it helps make reading much easier, and focusing on anything else more difficult!

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
So if we're reading less literature, it stands to reason that we may be becoming a less empathetic country as a result (research tends to bear this out). If changing reading habits are indeed making us less able to see things from other people's points of view, that could have drastic consequences across the board.
The long, steady decline of literary reading

Sorry, not helpful for your problem but it looks like you're not alone.

I used to read an entire book in a 24 hour period. Now I have a dozen or so books I intend to read but haven't gotten around to. I'll pick up a book and spend a couple of hours reading, then put it down and never get back to it.

I think maybe with access to the internet, information is just a click away. So I click, click, click as questions cross my mind. Maybe I've just gotten used to that immediate stimulation.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Some advice?
I'd start with how you feel when you open a book or try to read a few pages. Depending whether you feel bored, frustrated, anxious or whatever, the next step might become clearer.

DavidFirth

Some advice?

What have been doing instead of reading? I don't read books ever since I got my tablet, Netflix and HBOGo.

Nous

Premium Member
Also stop using social media after 6 pm. It gives you adrenaline spikes and can be like an addiction that keeps you from sleeping.
One time I was home alone and was posting responses on a debate board (much like RF) while eating dinner, and in a little while I realized I had just unconsciously gobbled down about 5,000 calories--like a gallon of rice and chop suey that was going to be leftovers for a couple of days. No more of that!