• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Facebook: Used to have it but shut it down. Too much drama and BS

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Damn smart phones..... I would not do with one if them if it hit me in the face....
Yes, I'm old. :(
I'm getting a new cell phone though and it is smart... I am getting two expensive i-phones for free, one for me and one for the hubby, because it is a promotion, and I will be lowering my cell phone bill from 68 a month to about 18 a month for two phones and a bunch of data and texting I won't use.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Damn smart phones..... I would not do with one if them if it hit me in the face....
I'm getting a new cell phone though and it is smart... I am getting two expensive i-phones for free, one for me and one for the hubby, because it is a promotion, and I will be lowering my cell phone bill from 68 a month to about 18 a month for two phones and a bunch of data and texting I won't use.

Get a flip phone. If they're not extinct and simple, $30 for the phone and maybe less than $50 for the card that may work. I have an Android which is expensive but not as much as 300 iPhones that do pretty much the same thing just space and speed differences

Last edited:

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member

Get a flip phone. If they're not existinct and you simple, $30 for the phone and maybe less than $50 for the card that may work. I have an Android which is expensive but not as much as 300 iPhones that do pretty much the same thing just space and speed differences

They're not extinct. I have one. Yes, it was around 30ish dollars, and well worth it. You can drop 'em, throw 'em, sit on 'em, and they just keep going!

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
They're not extinct. I have one. Yes, it was around 30ish dollars, and well worth it. You can drop 'em, throw 'em, sit on 'em, and they just keep going!
But how much do you have to pay for service each month and what kind of service coverage do you get?

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I like Facebook. I didn't give it any time until the pandemic.

One advantage was local news. I live in a Mexican village, and get much of my news from neighbors in local Facebook groups. It's how we were informed when and where vaccines would be available and how to get them. When we hear a lot of sirens, it's how we find out what happened out there. People discuss the new restaurants. We have a page of the menus, hours, locations, and contact information for all local restaurants.

But what I am really enjoying now are a few sites like the one on proper usage and grammar in English. I've learned what a noun phrase and a fronted adverbial are. I've come to accept they as a singular pronoun (rather than 'he or she', or one of the newer pronouns). I'm seeing more violations of the rules as I learn them, but I am also learning when to ignore the rules that the seasoned grammarians participating. They examine the words each and both to compare and contrast. Both is always about two, and takes a plural verb like are. Each is two or more, and takes a singular verb. They are usually interchangeable, but there are times when one is a better choice than the other. I like these discussions.

Also, I am a big fan of Seinfeld, so it a pleasure discovering two groups of people that know a lot more than I do about the show, even though my wife and I can pretty much shout out a few lines from each show like we were watching Rocky Horror. But these people are exposing me to much more.

Also, we acquired our first pug recently, and there is a Pugsaholics Anonymous page for pug lovers where they discuss problems and share tips and photos. Very helpful.

Then the music sites. I just wrote a post on comforting songs from our era, including Bridge Over Troubled Water, Stand By Me, and You've Got a Friend. Misheard lyrics in Toto's Africa. The Deadheads are a wealth of information. And so much interesting trivia about bands, albums, musicians, songs, etc..

People aren't fighting much on these threads. Some get nasty at times, but I don't mind. The politics don't (or doesn't - I'll have to check with my wordheads) bother me. Au contraire. I enjoy seeing the battle playing out. It keeps me current on the state of contention in the States, which I never visit any more. I see the numbers of shootings and destructive extreme weather events on the news, but if you want a sense of where people are at with this - has it died down any? doesn't seem so - this is where I go.

I'm surprised that so many people on this thread don't want to be on Facebook.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I’m currently tossing the idea around of leaving it behind. However, it does have its uses. I keep in touch with family and friends (not that I have many of those :( ). There are pages I follow for information like my temple, my town, some fun pages, some private groups for specific interests like guitar and bass, men’s groups. I’m learning to be picky about staying with any of them. If I haven’t visited one on a while, I drop it.

Two examples are a canine diabetes group and a canine Cushings group. Each of my two dogs is ill with one or the other. I didn’t like the veterinary medical advice laymen were giving, even disparaging veterinarians. I thought it was downright dangerous to tell a person with a newly diagnosed pet what a medication dosage should be. Even contradicting a veterinarian because these people are “experienced”.

Needless to say I could not watch that. When I challenged what they were doing I was attacked. Because again, these pet owners are “experienced “. So I told them they were full of themselves, they were giving dangerous advice and dropped out.

Whatever you say someone is bound to react or respond in a snarky, snotty, downright nasty and name-calling way. It wears on you. I’m trying to find the balance between its usefulness and the negativity.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
But how much do you have to pay for service each month and what kind of service coverage do you get?

I think my husband and I pay around fifty, if I remember right(he usually pays the bill). He has your standard cheap smartphone and a small amount of data(he uses our wifi when he's home). My flip has internet capabilities, but I have it turned off. Unlimited calls and texts for both of us.

HonestJoe

Facebook taught me many things...but one thing that stands out is not very many people seemed to be happy in life, with their selves, or how even how they look.

I decided facebook was where people went that didn't like the real world. That was shown by all the whining, the griping, they crying, the complaining, the drama, the political posts, the conspiracy posts, the self-pity posts, so much fake BS, etc.

I once ran into someone in a store that was my friend on facebook but I didn't recognize them because they used so many filters on their photos. That was enough for me lol
I've not noticed much of an issue (and never for long). Have you considered the possibility that it's your choice of friends that is the problem? ;)

Facebook is just a tool and like any tool, the outcome is largely down to how you choose to use it.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I think my husband and I pay around fifty, if I remember right(he usually pays the bill). He has your standard cheap smartphone and a small amount of data(he uses our wifi when he's home). My flip has internet capabilities, but I have it turned off. Unlimited calls and texts for both of us.
The i-phones we will be getting are free because of the promotion, and the monthly service is about $17 with taxes included for two phones, unlimited calls and texts and internet and a certain amount of data. I don't think I can beat that.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
I don't too much understand Facebook. Why would I want an ex girlfriend and my mom on the same platform and page, and to post in their presence?