• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Extreme violence in the bible interpretation?

Clara Tea

Bull, they were written to give power to the writers and religious leaders

Nope, religion has been used to control since day one

Bingo

I think that the ancient Romans glomed onto the Christian religion when they realized that it was becoming a pesky problem that challenged their power, and realized that they could wield that power for centuries to come. So, the brutal Romans became Christians.

I wonder if that somewhat softened their brutality?

Romans were also very good at propaganda. Their main move was to ask bystanders if they minded if they hung someone on a cross. Of course, the answer that they expected was "sure, go ahead." If that was not the forthcoming answer, they would proceed to torture and kill all objectors and their family. In this way, the brutal Romans were able to shed blame for their copious murders. The roads to Rome were littered with their casualties--a grim reminder that no one had better cross them, or interfere with their brutality in any way.

Jews were constantly blamed for Jesus getting crucified, yet, it was the Romans who did it and covered it up. Romans then ran the Christian religion for thousands of year...continuing to blame others for their sins.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I think that the ancient Romans glomed onto the Christian religion when they realized that it was becoming a pesky problem that challenged their power, and realized that they could wield that power for centuries to come. So, the brutal Romans became Christians.

I wonder if that somewhat softened their brutality?

Romans were also very good at propaganda. Their main move was to ask bystanders if they minded if they hung someone on a cross. Of course, the answer that they expected was "sure, go ahead." If that was not the forthcoming answer, they would proceed to torture and kill all objectors and their family. In this way, the brutal Romans were able to shed blame for their copious murders. The roads to Rome were littered with their casualties--a grim reminder that no one had better cross them, or interfere with their brutality in any way.

Jews were constantly blamed for Jesus getting crucified, yet, it was the Romans who did it and covered it up. Romans then ran the Christian religion for thousands of year...continuing to blame others for their sins.

Rome only crucified traitors to Rome. Of course there were many traitors and people seen as traitors.

And most of the OT was written before rome existed ever mind being a conquering power

Last edited:

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
The stories were written to scare people into following the bible.
As people look at a painting and get different impressions...

I found the Bible to be God is love, the Devil is evil and man has to choose which directions to go.

but that is my view and you don't have to subscribe to it.

Kenny

Premium Member
Nope, religion has been used to control since day one

That is true... but that is a people problem. Atheism can be used to control, Governments can be used to control, money can be used to control, positions can be used to control....

Jesus came to serve.

ChristineM

Premium Member
As people look at a painting and get different impressions...

I found the Bible to be God is love, the Devil is evil and man has to choose which directions to go.

but that is my view and you don't have to subscribe to it.

Most paintings were created during the Renaissance period. When Christianity was dominant and essentially ruled Europe.

The evil devil character is originally the work of Heironimus Bosce.

And of course

godvsatan.jpg

And those 10 week at gods command.

But sure you are welcome to your view.

ChristineM

Premium Member
That is true... but that is a people problem. Atheism can be used to control, Governments can be used to control, money can be used to control, positions can be used to control....

Jesus came to serve.

I have never a government controlled by atheism.

And i see jesus as an agitator against the legal government of his land for which he died.

Kenny

Premium Member
Most paintings were created during the Renaissance period. When Christianity was dominant and essentially ruled Europe.

yes... people painted those.

The evil devil character is originally the work of Heironimus Bosce.

Interesting... and I thought it was a character originally placed in Genesis 3. I must check my glasses.

And of course

72057_5ad3895a671fdf01916238ca1d7b8b8c.jpg

And those 10 week at gods command.

But sure you are welcome to your view.

but you never ask the question "why". Are you suggesting we should have let Hitler continue the slaughter?

Or is it because it just doesn't fit your narrative?

Kenny

Premium Member
I have never a government controlled by atheism.

And i see jesus as an agitator against the legal government of his land for which he died.
LOL... oK... Atheists - the people of atheism.

Yes... your view of Jesus is your interpretation.

ChristineM

Premium Member
yes... people painted those.

Yes people. Thousands more of years after while strongly influenced by the times

Interesting... and I thought it was a character originally placed in Genesis 3. I must check my glasses.

Maybe check your interpretation

but you never ask the question "why". Are you suggesting we should have let Hitler continue the slaughter?

Are you suggesting we should let Christianity and the god character continue there slaughter. I don't make excuses for murder.

Or is it because it just doesn't fit your narrative?

Its because thats what the bible says... Wtf has my narrative got to do with it?

Colt

Perhaps this is what is meant by "man is made in God's image?"

Or did they mean that all races of earth were the same race as God?
"Let us make man in our image" is in reference to the Trinity having the Father at its core. Each of us have a fragment of the Father within. It is our guide if we are willing to take direction.

God created beings who could be indwelt by his own spirit.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I don't even think the creators of those stories intended them to be read that way!
Exactly.

I remember having a discussion on this with a Catholic theologian from China, and he mentioned that all too many people read it as objective westernized history versus subjective early western Asian.

Kenny

Premium Member
Yes people. Thousands more of years after while strongly influenced by the times

Absolutely... I believe it was especially poignant when "people" didn't want the "common people" to know what the scriptures said. After all, the message of Jesus was love.

Maybe check your interpretation

I did. :) But it is pretty black and white.

Are you suggesting we should let Christianity and the god character continue there slaughter. I don't make excuses for murder.

Again... that is your interpretation of the painting. I find it different.

Its because thats what the bible says... Wtf has my narrative got to do with it?

Again.. that is how you view the painting. I find the love of God in and through all.

clara17

Memorable member
I have just finished reading Judges trying to learn about this religion :)
And I feel like I've been through the wringer emotionally with this episode at the end, what is the reason and interpretation ?
Does god still behave like this?

What about other really evil events like rape?

Which religion?
Judaism? atheism? Christianity? Islam?

clara17

Memorable member
I will point out many nations today still believe God is guiding them including the USA in war.

I wouldnt say the people of any of these nations (maybe with the exception of Israel) believe that, just their ruling classes.

Judges is not in the Pentateuch, so it is a book which has stories which you parse using your understanding of the law. You don't ask modern questions such as "Did this happen." No. Whether it happened or not is irrelevant to the author. The author writes it for your sake to guide you to think about certain matters in the law or in your life or to perhaps pass on an unsolved mystery to you. What you should ask instead of "Did this happen?" is "What does the law say about this?" and "If this ever happens what should I do according to the law and the teachings?"

Consider the story of Sampson and his riddles, his strange behavior and his riddles. To someone studying morality in the law Sampson's great strength is irrelevant and will fade one day, but the law will continue to be all important. What does the story have to do with the Pentateuch and you? That is what matters, and that is what the author is writing it for. It is for you, as if the author were sitting with you and trying to get you to think. They don't know who you are, but they are trying to connect with you. Try to connect back.

Ask things like: Do the judges judge fairly? Is the L-RD right or wrong to let Israel slip into this chaos? Should Sampson have been kicked out for doing thus and such?

I will try and read like this although I don't know these answers, thank you

You are reading STORIES written by humans with the intention of inspiring fear and awe and humility toward their God. (Toward the god-ideal as they understood it.) You are not reading a history of God. You are only reading a literary depiction of God. One that intends you to be frightened and awed and consternated.

This makes sense to me thank you, although does it not mirror to them that they think this is ideal?