• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Extending life beyond the normal. Should we be doing it?

Bear Wild

Science has been making significant progress in understanding senescence which is life's slow process of dying. It may be now possible to alter the genetic code and extend life out for an unknown amount. There are several billionaires who have been helping fund this research. The question is do you think this is a good idea. The character that Jeff Goldblum played in the movie Jurassic Park gave this thought - "Yeah but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could they didn't stop to think if they should." Although it is tempting to want to extend life, Is there any reason this could actually be a bad idea?

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't understand why the idea is attractive, really.

My grandma is 95. She has no friends, because they've all died. While she is upbeat and optimistic about reaching 100(I think she'll do it, she's in great health, and women in the family reaching over 100 isn't uncommon), I can't say I'd want to outlive all of my friends, or perhaps even my children...

Spice

StewardshipPeaceIntergityCommunityEquality
Please no!!!! I'm in no hurry, but I'm already tired. Extending my physical body is not going to extend my patience! Unless this world wants a bunch of old geezers taking out the young and stupid before they've had a chance to become mature and reasonable, then as Blood Sweat, and Tears sang -- don't want to go by the Devil, don't want to go by demons, don't want to go by Satan, don't want to die uneasy. Just let me go naturally.

Tinkerpeach

Science has been making significant progress in understanding senescence which is life's slow process of dying. It may be now possible to alter the genetic code and extend life out for an unknown amount. There are several billionaires who have been helping fund this research. The question is do you think this is a good idea. The character that Jeff Goldblum played in the movie Jurassic Park gave this thought - "Yeah but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could they didn't stop to think if they should." Although it is tempting to want to extend life, Is there any reason this could actually be a bad idea?
What is a normal life span and what are you basing that off of?

Isn’t a normal life span an average of how long humans live?

If that’s 30 years, 80 years, or 400 years it would still be the norm.

The only real issue is that when people live longer it puts more strain on the earths resources which ultimately means more competition for them which means more wars.

If lifespans go way up overpopulation will become a serious problem leading to mass poverty and suffering unless we as humans can compensate for that by drastically changing infrastructure.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Would the new genetic code mean the inexorable physical and mental deterioration rates would be slowed down? If not, who would want to have a (say) 150 year old body? I'll pass on that, thanks. Plus, there's already more than enough humans ****ing up the biosphere.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I had a friend who lived to her mid 80's. After retiring she brought her love for music to children in the hospital that were very ill or terminal and whose parents had basically abandoned them. When she was not allowed to do that any longer, she decided that her life of service was over and proceeded to let herself die or perhaps willed her death. It's not the length that is important to me, it's the fulfillment.

I wrote this based on my knowledge of her including her love for music and my experiences sitting with her. I'm far from ready yet but she remains an inspiration for me:

Prologue
Looking homeward.​
Longing.​
Praying.​
Enough.​
Enough.​
Time to go.​
Transition
Whispers of angelic wings.​
A veil thinning, thinning.​
Joyous divine music.​
Light filled room.​
Sweet perfume.​
Letting go.​
Exaltation
Leaping free.​
Soaring arias.​
A young girl dancing.​
Attar of white roses.​
A divine being​
- arms opened wide.​
Melting into sunshine.​
Gone.​

...Is there any reason this could actually be a bad idea?
They are just doing it in a wrong way. There is no way to preserve this "life" beyond normal. It would be better to find the eternal life through Jesus.

These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.
Matt. 25:46
For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Romans 6:23

Heyo

Veteran Member
According to Timothy Leary, life extension is one of three major goals for humanity, the other two being intelligence increase and space migration, resulting in the acronym SMI²LE. If we don't want to end up like the yeast, we'll have to leave the dough. And living longer will make people think about interstellar travel with a little more enthusiasm.

Balthazzar

Christian Evolutionist
I looked att my arms yesterday at 53 years old. 4 years ago they were well formed with no stretch or wrinkle present. This isn't true today, so I thought to myself "I gotta start working out again". 2 miles walk daily isn't enough anymore, so I've decided to grab a 4 lb hammer and beat on yellow orange metal. Just think ... in another 10 years I could be worse off or better ... if the metal pounding workout goes well. I'll be 63 then. Honestly, the only reason I'd extend life is due to not getting a good feel on life, yet. I'm not done, but what can a man do at 53 and waning health? Keep going until it's over ...

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

My grandma is 95. She has no friends, because they've all died. While she is upbeat and optimistic about reaching 100(I think she'll do it, she's in great health, and women in the family reaching over 100 isn't uncommon), I can't say I'd want to outlive all of my friends, or perhaps even my children...
Not too long ago, 50 could have been described the way you're describing 100.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Lifespan had stayed pretty constant at around 35 to 45 years until the late 19th century. Then, not really science (although that helped) but hygiene has steadily raised the estimated lifespan to double that of our ancestors.

Personally I'm happy with that, if all goes well I'll see my children fledge the nest and raise families of their own.

Telomeres, (ends of the chromosome) limit human aging to a theoretical 120 to 150 years. Jeanne Calment made it to 122 years 164 days. I wait to see if anyone makes it past that age.

If science can stop the telomeres shortening then maximum age can be possibly be extended . Not for me though, I'm happy as things are.

As Jimi Hendrix said..." I'm the one that's got to die when it's time for me to die..."

David1967

Premium Member

Two things I don't want to outlive: my health and my children.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Personally I would prefer we enabled the lives of the so many (wherever they might be found but mostly the poor) to be better - as to actually having meaningful lives, and even if this was at the expense of the wealthy - before we worked on prolonging lives. And of course this applies to so many other things - as to where to place resources. But such just doesn't seem to be a popular position as to governments and even as to what people in general want.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
They are just doing it in a wrong way. There is no way to preserve this "life" beyond normal. It would be better to find the eternal life through Jesus.

These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.
Matt. 25:46
For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Romans 6:23
I just got stopped by a man offering leaflets - so that I could find Jesus rather than spend "all eternity burning in hell."

Bear Wild

What is a normal life span and what are you basing that off of?

Isn’t a normal life span an average of how long humans live?

If that’s 30 years, 80 years, or 400 years it would still be the norm.

The only real issue is that when people live longer it puts more strain on the earths resources which ultimately means more competition for them which means more wars.

If lifespans go way up overpopulation will become a serious problem leading to mass poverty and suffering unless we as humans can compensate for that by drastically changing infrastructure.
Yes!!! That is exactly at the heart of the problem isnt it. We live life as if it is unlimited. We consume the world as if it does not matter. But think for a moment of possible consequences. An elite that can live for ever living off of those who cannot. The loss of procreating children because of over population. Yet scientists and business ventures continue forward with no consideration of what could happen.

Bear Wild

According to Timothy Leary, life extension is one of three major goals for humanity, the other two being intelligence increase and space migration, resulting in the acronym SMI²LE. If we don't want to end up like the yeast, we'll have to leave the dough. And living longer will make people think about interstellar travel with a little more enthusiasm.
And if we do not leave the planet then what? Overpopulation and mass starvation. And if we leave the planet and come to another why would another planet accept us. Wouldn't they just say you screwed up you own planet and that's your fault. We don't want you here. Just a thought.

Tinkerpeach

Yes!!! That is exactly at the heart of the problem isnt it. We live life as if it is unlimited. We consume the world as if it does not matter. But think for a moment of possible consequences. An elite that can live for ever living off of those who cannot. The loss of procreating children because of over population. Yet scientists and business ventures continue forward with no consideration of what could happen.
Well in actuality it would be impossible to overpopulate the world.

Did you know that you could fit every person on Earth (almost five billion) into NYC if you placed them shoulder to shoulder?

That’s just the city, not the state.

It’s not lack of room it’s a governmental problem.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

I imagine that if they could, only the rich would be able to take advantage of it.
So you'd have a bunch of rich folks running everything with a short lived working class.
Kind of like what we have now just with the rich folks being around a bit longer.

Heyo

Veteran Member
Well in actuality it would be impossible to overpopulate the world.

Did you know that you could fit every person on Earth (almost five billion)
It's over eight now.
into NYC if you placed them shoulder to shoulder?
Yeah, and then let them starve? A human doesn't only need a place to stand on, but also a lot of place to get their resources from. And we consume about double the resources that regrow. There are some reserves, but they are vanishing fast.