• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Explain to me why god is real using facts

Faithofchristian

Again, like others posting here, I don't see the connection. What is this archaeological/ paleontological evidence?

Seeing Archaeologist found many dinosaur bones, and the bible supports these findings.
In what time period of Earth's history, did the dinosaurs live in.
And where in the Bible will give the account of that time period of Earth's history.
And what brought about the extinction of the dinosaurs, where in the bible gives this account, As to what happened that brought about the extinction of the dinosaurs.
And why it happened.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
X sees a bird and says "Isn't that a goldcrest?" Y looks and says "Yes". Two cases of personal experience. X and Y both experience a god with the same characteristics. Two cases of personal experience. Where's the difference?
I don't see your point. People report all sorts of fantastic things all the time, and draw all sorts of conclusions therefrom.
Science sets the bar higher.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Seeing Archaeologist found many dinosaur bones, and the bible supports these findings.
And where in the Bible will give the account of that time period of Earth's history.
And what brought about the extinction of the dinosaurs, where in the bible gives this account, As to what happened that brought about the extinction of the dinosaurs.
And why it happened.

The bible also has the history of the Romans and Greeks as in the bible. It talks about the Corinthians and the different churches (if that's the right word) throughout history reflecting those of the bible.

There is a lot of history in the bible. How do you see god in these things?

History. Yes. God?

Edit. I try not to beat around the bush when I ask questions. That's why they are indented. That's just my nature not intentionally argumentative.

PureX

Veteran Member
No, it isn't. We have a subjective impression of the weather but the various things that make it up are intersubjectively verifiable.
That's an interesting term that doesn't imply what I think you are trying to imply by using it. All it says is that facts are only presumed true relative to other facts. This does not somehow magically overcome the limited and relative perspective from which they are being judged. Nor the bias that these limits inevitably impose.
Of course it's a dichotomy. Ether some god(s) would remain in existence if there were no humans or not.
No one cares if God would remain in existence or not. The answer would be moot as there would be no one ask the question. And anyway, you're talking about a "what if" question, the answer to which is as irrelevant as such questions are infinite.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I know quite bit of Archaeology and paleontology findings that supports what is written in the bible.
As would be expected. Places and events were common knowledge.
A crime novel might correctly describe places and events of 1930s San Francisco in minute detail. That doesn't validate the other characters and events in the novel.

But then people have no clue or idea about the 3 heavens and Earth ages, that are written about in the bible. If people did then people could put the pieces together how the bible supports the findings of Archaeology and Paleontology.
Again, missing your point.

lukethethird

unknown member
Basically, I am an atheist right, so I would like for you to explain to me why your god is real and use facts not opinions, please.
Basically, no one gives a crap either way right, so we don't care for explanations why anyone's god is real or not, and good luck with the facts not opinion bit. Oh, and welcome to RF.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
As would be expected. Places and events were common knowledge.
A crime novel might correctly describe places and events of 1930s San Francisco in minute detail. That doesn't validate the other characters and events in the novel.

Again, missing your point.

@Faithofchristian

How does the existence of Mount Sinai in the bible and in present day Egypt prove god exists?

ratiocinator

Lightly seared on the reality grill.
People saying different things about different gods is hardly a problem.

That's the first problem, some people insist that the god they've experienced is the only one.

For that matter, saying different things about the same god is not necessarily a problem. Would the same woman be identically described by her child, her spouse, her mother, her neighbours, her colleagues?

No - but you wouldn't get direct contradictions.

ratiocinator

That's an interesting term that doesn't imply what I think you are trying to imply by using it. All it says is that facts are only presumed true relative to other facts.

No it doesn't. It's about being able to verify something in such a way that it doesn't depend on the individual person doing the verification. It's basically what people mean when they state facts about the 'real' world.

No one cares if God would remain in existence or not.

Again, this is a false statement. Many theists believe that their god existed before there were people and created the universe. Why do you keep on making this sort of obviously false claim? Do you seriously think a fundamentalist Christian or Muslim would agree that they don't care if their god's existence is independent from their minds or not?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
And why it happened.
How does the Bible support Mesozoic ecology? I think you're grasping at straws; taking a few words and phrases and trying to build a world view around them consistent with a modern world-view.
Casual references to behemoths or leviathans is not Palaeontology.

When did they live? Science has an answer, with empirical support. Religion does not.

There is nothing in the Bible describing the Mesozoic era. Geological history was a complete unknown to its authors.

Where in the Bible does it give an account of the K-T extinction?
You're not seriously proposing a world-wide flood, I hope, or Usher's 6,000 year old creation?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
As I said in post 82, I believe in the gods because I have experienced several of them. If experience is not a valid reason, I'm at a loss to know what could be. But there is always an alternative theory. For example, if you don't want to believe in evolution, you will find explanations for fossils. If you believe the Earth is flat, you will find explanations for satellite photos. And if you want to be an atheist, you find explanations for religious experience.

It is not. Many people "experience" all sorts of false things. It may convince you, but it would not convince a rational person that realizes that such events are not reliable.

And why did you use a theistic belief, that the Earth is flat, to attack an atheistic acceptance of reality? That is shooting yourself in the foot.

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
God is not an idea - they are many, many, different, loosely connected, ideas. They only need further investigation if somebody can come up with some reason to take one (or more) of them seriously.

It is often an expression of not seeing any good reason to take any of the many gods that humans do, and have, believed in, seriously. After all, humans do seem very prone to inventing unseen beings and influences.
Now that's a fact. People in different cultures have invented gods that suit their society. Al of them are believed to be false gods by the religions that believe there is only one god. That one god is defined in different ways by those religions, so some of those beliefs about that one god are false. But, the fact is, that one god has got to be real because it makes logical sense to believe in an invisible spirit being that religions tell us is real.

PureX

Veteran Member
No it doesn't. It's about being able to verify something in such a way that it doesn't depend on the individual person doing the verification. It's basically what people mean when they state facts about the 'real' world.
Now you're just going in circles. One fact "verifies" another, and you presume this somehow means more than it does. Facts are ALL relatively true relative to other relatively true facts. Are you seeing the common denominator, here? Truth, to we humans is RELATIVE. And that means that it is subject to the limitations of our experiential/conceptual perspective. So that "verification" does not mean what you seem to imagine it means: that it's true beyond and apart from human cognition. Because nothing is true or false beyond or apart from human cognition. Trueness and falseness are concept created in the human mind by the way the human mind processes information. What exists of God, or of anything else, beyond and apart from human cognition can never be anything but blind speculation going on in the human mind.
Many theists believe that their god existed before there were people and created the universe.
So what? They're just spouting off these fantastic superlatives to express how important their God ideal is to them. People also claim George Washington never told a lie, and threw a dollar coin across the Potomac River. That doesn't mean anyone really cares that neither of these things actually happened.
Why do you keep on making this sort of obviously false claim? Do you seriously think a fundamentalist Christian or Muslim would agree that they don't care if their god's existence is independent from their minds or not?
How can they possibly care about something that they cannot possibly know or even ever experience? To claim to care about such an abstract speculation is just bloviation. We humans are full of it, and only a fool would take it as anything more.

ratiocinator

Now you're just going in circles. One fact "verifies" another, and you presume this somehow means more than it does. Facts are ALL relatively true relative to other relatively true facts. Are you seeing the common denominator, here? Truth, to we humans is RELATIVE. And that means that it is subject to the limitations of our experiential/conceptual perspective. So that "verification" does not mean what you seem to imagine it means: that it's true beyond and apart from human cognition.

You still don't seem to get it. Intersubjective verification is basically a formal way of capturing the common experience we call the "real world" - the objective world. It's how Popper defined 'objective' with regard to science.

You can take the extreme sceptical view that nothing is real outside of human minds, but that is intellectually a dead end that makes all claims equal. If I say you don't exist, then you don't. I believe in invisible pink unicorns and they are just as real as cats. The fact is that there is a qualitative difference between our perception of the objective world and all the other subjective contents of our minds and you seem to want to squeeze god(s) in between the two and make them some sort of special case.

So what? They're just spouting off these fantastic superlatives to express how important their God ideal is to them.

So, you're insisting their beliefs in god(s) are 'true', in some sense, and them dismissing their actual beliefs about their god(s). You really can't have it both ways.

How can they possibly care about something that they cannot possibly know or even ever experience?

You'd better take that up with them. Are you seriously suggesting that no theist cares about (for example) an afterlife?