• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I've come across people here on the forum and elsewhere and have read accounts in which people say that they have heard God, seen God, or experienced God in some other way.

Can God be seen, heard, or experienced in normal waking consciousness? Or must one be in an altered state consciousness in order to have such an experience?

If you answer the latter, can you describe how this altered state is attained?

This 'altered state' is attained by first changing the definition of the Resurrection to an "individual intervention into the natural world, 'raising' up within a man a newly Enlightened heart infused with a new Holy spirit, realigning his moral compass by correcting human nature with a change in natural law and strengthened will, altering biology, consciousness and human ethical perception beyond all natural evolutionary boundaries. Thus freed from the corruptions of concupiscence that natural law is heir to, man is created in the image and likeness of His Creator."

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It's how it looks pretty much as far as I can tell.

A person requires an alternate state of consciousness, otherwise God is unable to communicate?
No. I explained more or less in my post how that a "normal" state of consciousness, what we call "normal", is actually more a half-asleep state of consciousness. It is describe commonly with mystics that the experience of Enlightenment is really a "waking up", very much like realizing you've only been in a dream state when you wake up in the morning. I describe it as becoming a human being. That state is what is normal, your eyes are open, just like when you open them after spending the night in various dream states.

At first it seems overwhelming, like opening your eyes from sleep to the morning light everywhere. It takes time for your eyes, and your brain, to catch up with all that new input flooding into your mind. Once you've adjusted to waking up, this now is the new normal. And if you slip back into sleep, that is the altered state. What people generally refer to as "normal consciousness" is actually the altered state, like a dream state, or rather it is more like a trance state, a hypnosis as it were.

I would say it's an effect rather than a real God.
Not at all. It is more a matter of the condition of the mind being able to apprehend what is before it in reality the whole time. To say God is an effect of the state of mind, is like saying the physical world is an effect of the optic nerves letting light in after you open your eyes.

Last edited:

dfnj

I've come across people here on the forum and elsewhere and have read accounts in which people say that they have heard God, seen God, or experienced God in some other way.

Can God be seen, heard, or experienced in normal waking consciousness? Or must one be in an altered state consciousness in order to have such an experience?

An omnipotent God is both pantheistic and Abrahamic at the same time. So every facet of reality is an expression of the mind of God. This also includes all our thoughts about God and reality.

sealchan

For me I claim to have experienced God (strongly, imaginally, psychologically) when I was in an emotional state of desperation and later when I was dreaming. I think that both conditions are common among those who have felt they have had a strong experience of God in their lives.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
For me I claim to have experienced God (strongly, imaginally, psychologically) when I was in an emotional state of desperation and later when I was dreaming. I think that both conditions are common among those who have felt they have had a strong experience of God in their lives.
It is common that a crisis can often lead to an awakening. In the face of death, for instance, it is common to experience God and lose the fear of death as a result. I'm not quite sure what you mean by when you were dreaming. You mean, while asleep, or was this some sort of subtle state experience, like a lucid dream?

sealchan

It is common that a crisis can often lead to an awakening. In the face of death, for instance, it is common to experience God and lose the fear of death as a result. I'm not quite sure what you mean by when you were dreaming. You mean, while asleep, or was this some sort of subtle state experience, like a lucid dream?

It was a weakly lucid dream (while fully asleep) in that I had a sense of having to think in the face of the fear of death of an answer to a question, but I had little or no other control. Then I did come up with an answer in the dream and the fear was replaced with ecstasy.

Ellen Brown

It's happened most in the last several years, and it is not every day, but frequently. In those last minutes or moments before I waken in the morning, someone speaks to me, sometimes quoting scripture. The last time, it was from Joel 2, which I perhaps had not read in at least a decade. When I was fully awake, I looked it up and realized that the passage I had dreamed was to the Jews. It is likely that I have not fully understood what was said to me. Sometimes, it can be a short chewing out, something I need to repent of, and not to be ignored!

Not to evoke feelings of pity. I am totally alone, and study Bible a lot. There have been lots of losses; really painful ones. Perhaps those losses were put there to get my attention?

Muffled

Jesus in me

I believe He can't be seen but He is able to project an image to represent Himself.

I believe the only way to hear God audibly is through Jesus, prophets or those who have the Paraclete.

I believe God projects thoughts and images into a person's mind.

I believe a person may be awake or in dream sleep.

I believe God can communicate to a person in a spiritual state but it is just as likely the person will hear from his own spirit.

Muffled

Jesus in me
I think these things are often real and they are experiencing finite contact with spirits guides, gods their higher self, etc.

Your post seemed to view things in more of a GOD all or nothing way. People might just use the term ‘God’ for real things beyond their mundane language, understanding and experience.

I believe I experience God.

I believe they would be using the term incorrectly.

lisa abramoff

I definitely think you would need to be in an altered state of consciousness. which is not hard to do and what peoplle call phasing out when someone is staring into space and is elsewhere, well, there you go.