• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Existential Question...

Vee

Premium Member
And I agree with you that things are going to get worse and probably much worse, before it either collapses or things are changed. And I doubt that things will change, because its impossible to do this unless everyone agrees to change it, which will never happen as I see it.

But as I see it we (the next generations) have to pray that science and our ability of engineering can solve these things, because I don't see anything else being able to do it. It will definitely not be a political solution as I see it.

I believe God will change things, but until that happens we have a lot to endure.

Science came a long way but I don't believe that will be enough to "save" the earth. I'm not even sure we're still on time to do that. I'm not a scientist but we may be past the point of no return.

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
When I look at the world today, sometimes I find myself wondering why my parents didn't wear a condom and spare me all this insanity. I'm not suicidal and I'm not blaming my parents for anything. They did the best they knew. But seeing things getting crazier by the day, knowing that it will get much worse before it gets better... it makes me think.
I love life, love this planet and I'm grateful for every thing I am and have, but if I had a choice, I don't know if I would have been born. Do the good things compensate the bad? Maybe for some people, I guess.
I still don't know the answer to my own question. I don't know if I would have wanted to be born into this world, given the chance. Pointless question, I know.

Hi Vee

I can sure relate to your feelings. I used to have a very dim view of humanity in general and felt I would never even contemplate reproducing!

I don't know if I have the "answer" to your situation but these days I am far more optimistic - sometimes in the face of the very worst of human nature. I never expected to feel this way so I don't know IF I have any words of wisdom that would answer all your questions - and they are good questions and keep asking them - it is far better than complacency.

One question I really wrestled with and still do to some extent was the simple question - how much violence is TOO much violence? I used to obsess over it and wonder what on earth goes through people's minds to even consider bringing children into such a violent & un-happy world!

I cannot explain how things have changed for me - I am totally perplexed but I had a totally unexpected spiritual awakening on a psych ward - not MANY people can say that.

There are a growing number of "experts" who believe the current world situation is the "birth pains" of a far better reality for all of us.

I realise that is a very hard "sell" to people who are currently suffering or feel hopeless.

I hope I am making SOME sense just sitting here madly typing away.

If you have questions feel free to ask me - I cannot claim to have perfect answers to your many objections.

If you was interested here is a spiritual teacher I found on youtube. She went through "Hell" before becoming a healer & teacher. Anyway, you can make up your own mind -

There are many people like Christina with a message of hope & transformation. It can be hard to swallow at times and I still have my doubtful moments ...

Thanks for sharing and wishing you all the very best!

Geoff.

Audie

Veteran Member
When I look at the world today, sometimes I find myself wondering why my parents didn't wear a condom and spare me all this insanity. I'm not suicidal and I'm not blaming my parents for anything. They did the best they knew. But seeing things getting crazier by the day, knowing that it will get much worse before it gets better... it makes me think.
I love life, love this planet and I'm grateful for every thing I am and have, but if I had a choice, I don't know if I would have been born. Do the good things compensate the bad? Maybe for some people, I guess.
I still don't know the answer to my own question. I don't know if I would have wanted to be born into this world, given the chance. Pointless question, I know.

Who says its good or bad. Its must life.
Which beats the alternative, of which you
will get plenty.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

There have been times when I've had similar thoughts and consider what it would be like if I wasn't born. Would things be better? If I wasn't born, then I wouldn't even know it - or be able to think of what it would be like if I wasn't born.

The world is pretty insane, although I'm insane, too, so I seem to fit right in. ;)

I don't know what the future holds or where humanity is going at this point. Things may very well get worse. But maybe they'll get better. I keep hoping that someday, someone might invent the ultimate gizmo that can end world hunger, cure all diseases, and elevate the intelligence quotient of the human race.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

Flippant perhaps but thats life.

exchemist

Veteran Member
I'm in Bordeaux. The wine is better :)
And the climate too, though it's maritime so probably not great at this time of year. Anyway my mistake.

I've never visited, though as a fairly committed Bx drinker (my wife was raised on Medoc and I found it an easy habit to acquire;) ) I'd like to, some day. I have a sister-in-law near Toulouse, so maybe I can plan a trip some time, when "ce foutu virus" has died down a bit.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
When I look at the world today, sometimes I find myself wondering why my parents didn't wear a condom and spare me all this insanity. I'm not suicidal and I'm not blaming my parents for anything. They did the best they knew. But seeing things getting crazier by the day, knowing that it will get much worse before it gets better... it makes me think

You cannot be told whether life is worthwhile, because it both is and isn't. There are two truths which seem to cancel: "Life is worthwhile" and "Life is not worthwhile." Both are true, so you have to choose one. Its an answer which depends upon the context.

You make life worthwhile by believing that it is, and I do not mean that you pretend it is worthwhile or that its not really worthwhile but that you only believe so. What I mean is precisely that it becomes worthwhile based upon your belief. The believing actually changes its worth from not worthwhile to truly worthwhile. It is the strange nature of the question, not some trick or mental game. Life is literally not worthwhile if you believe it is not, and it literally becomes worthwhile if you believe that it is. So you actually can prove to yourself it is one or the other, and both answers will be correct.

Could that change? Yes. That could change if we could establish more context about why we exist.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I often wonder why I couldn't have just died when I was born. I was nearly there, but it didn't happen. Lots of pain and hurt, but there isn't much joy.

Hermit Philosopher

Selflessly here for you

Dear Vee,

We are here to learn from life, so that we may increase our understanding of what it means to be.

We may often come to think that we have now understood it, but when we truly have, we will need to be no more, so for as long as we are still, we are not quite yet done.

Humbly
Hermit

mangalavara

सो ऽहम्
Premium Member
I'm in Bordeaux. The wine is better :)

You probably have these, no? :tongueout:

ffd5401015f054c9ec492d2ad71c63c2--cool-things-bordeaux.jpg

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I dunno. If not here, I suspect it will be somewhere else.

Dan From Smithville

What we've got here is failure to communicate.
Staff member
Premium Member
You are in Paris (I think?) in January. This is classically the time of year when those of us in the cold of N Europe feel a bit wan and miserable. So there may be a seasonal element to how you feel as well. You may need sunshine. Skiing in the Alps?
I experience that. I go into the winter in fine spirits and those spirits slowly degrade to a point. But as spring approaches I begin to dial back up. It is a matter of finding a way through that cold, winter forest and not just holding those wan and miserable feelings at bay. But magnifying those things that make me feel happier.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I believe God will change things, but until that happens we have a lot to endure.

Science came a long way but I don't believe that will be enough to "save" the earth. I'm not even sure we're still on time to do that. I'm not a scientist but we may be past the point of no return.
The Earth has survived far worse than us. It will adapt and carry on.
Humanity, on the other hand, that one isn't so certain.

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
As a Christian, I'm not surprised. The Bible says that things are going to get as bad in the end, as it was before God sent the Flood in Noah's time (Matthew 24). So it's actually going to get a lot worse than it is now, eventually. But there's still hope, as God wins in the end. This is a time of testing and making things right "in your house". My life has been hard for much of it, so things haven't changed too drastically for me personally, but society is definitely falling apart. God bless you and all the best. Stay strong.

rational experiences

Veteran Member
I always believed some humans should never have had sex. When you see humans behaviour as humans being a human only behaving insanely.

Trying to pretend we began as an alien or a spaceship or invented by a human thinking theories about humans first.

I believe the term insanity is given to the wrong human suffering condition as a mentality unable to express consciousness.

I believe the true insane humans were men as brothers who designed design as civilization and science.

As the history human suffering says so.

I see no argument in conditions lived and experienced by humans as a constant inherited life by sex versus a scientific destroyer human cult named thinkers.

Heyo

Veteran Member
It's bad but it's getting better:

Vee

Premium Member
And the climate too, though it's maritime so probably not great at this time of year. Anyway my mistake.

I've never visited, though as a fairly committed Bx drinker (my wife was raised on Medoc and I found it an easy habit to acquire;) ) I'd like to, some day. I have a sister-in-law near Toulouse, so maybe I can plan a trip some time, when "ce foutu virus" has died down a bit.

They make some fabulous Cabernet in Medoc. If you ever come this way, let me know. I have places to show you, wine tasting included, obviously :)

Vee

Premium Member
You probably have these, no? :tongueout:

ffd5401015f054c9ec492d2ad71c63c2--cool-things-bordeaux.jpg

Sorry, no idea what that is. They put Bordeaux in the biscuits or they named it Bordeaux and people eat them and get really disappointed? Something with 12% sugar and no alcohol can't be good :rolleyes: