• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

existence of god

PureX

Veteran Member
Because I choose to characterize "God" as a benevolent force within existence, I "experience" God in this world through love, and forgiveness, and generosity, and kindness, and tolerance, and mercy, and joy, and peace, and freedom.

Starfish

Please no sarcasm
"We sing about God because we believe in Him. We are not trying to offend anybody, but the evidence that we have seen of Him in our small little lives trumps your opinion about whether or not He exists."

Jeff Foxworthy

Rolling_Stone

"We sing about God because we believe in Him. We are not trying to offend anybody, but the evidence that we have seen of Him in our small little lives trumps your opinion about whether or not He exists."

Jeff Foxworthy
Nice! Frubals.

Religion is not, as many rationalists argue, first a primitive belief in something followed by corresponding values. Neither is religion a matter of going through all the motions, having feelings of wonder and having all the right beliefs. Rather, religion is first and foremost a pursuit of ideal-values followed by interpretative ideas, ideas that can, and do, lead to a kind of communion that can be enjoyed only between persons.

RedRain

Either we cannot know for certain "who is right", which renders both meaningless in terms of right, or we can know for certain which is right --which renders both right, both being quite certain of their rightness in their own regard. :)

We cannot know for certain who is right and you conclude from this that it does not matter who is then right? This would make sense if it had no end effect on our lives, but it does. We will know who is right in some scenarios so your argument is flawed. The only way your argument would work is if we knew for certain that there is no afterlife, which of course we can't know.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
We cannot know for certain who is right and you conclude from this that it does not matter who is then right? This would make sense if it had no end effect on our lives, but it does. We will know who is right in some scenarios so your argument is flawed. The only way your argument would work is if we knew for certain that there is no afterlife, which of course we can't know.
We each, individually, will know who is right in some scenarios.

PS: I don't conclude that "it doesn't matter," but rather that there is meaninglessness in certain circumstances.