• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

existence of god

Scholar24

If (you believe) there is a god, how do you perceive his existence in your life or in this world? Is it a feeling? Or does he materialize in any way shape or form?

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
I see "God" through an particular understanding of the world. ("Seeing" is a metaphor for "understanding".)

Alpha

Defender of my faith
I just lift up my eyelids.

i totally agree...trying to sound clever, i believe that that is called the teleological argument where the beauty and splendour of the world could not have happened per chance therefore Divine intervention must have occured. William Paley was famous for this, wikipedia it if interested ;)

Peace

Quran & Sunnah
If (you believe) there is a god, how do you perceive his existence in your life or in this world? Is it a feeling? Or does he materialize in any way shape or form?

I know for sure that there is God. I feel His presence everywhere. This whole great universe is replete with signs of the existence of God, the one God, the Creator of all.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member

Apparently, "God" is what some mystics call the reality perceived when the subject/object dichotomy in conscious thought abruptly ends while the continuum of experience remains. The mystics who call that experience "God" tend to come out of cultures that are dominated by the notion ultimate reality is deity. Such as cultures where the Abrahamic faiths are predominant.

Dunemeister

Apparently, "God" is what some mystics call the reality perceived when the subject/object dichotomy in conscious thought abruptly ends while the continuum of experience remains. The mystics who call that experience "God" tend to come out of cultures that are dominated by the notion ultimate reality is deity. Such as cultures where the Abrahamic faiths are predominant.

Ah, reductionism! You gotta love it!

Rolling_Stone

"Those who have witnessed the manifestation of divine or supernal realities can never again feel the old delight in bodily beauty." (Plotinus) Since it is a subjective experience experienced more intensely by some and less by others under various conditions and cultures, one can only speak for themselves. Admittedly, I "feel" (not quite the right word) the presence of the ONE only on occasion, and then in a way words cannot express.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
It's difficult to explain. I came to believe due to an intense and transformative theophany. Since then, I have had another sense in my mind, which I preceive as a sort of resonance. This resonance grows stronger when I meditate regularly, weaker when I neglect it.

Evolved1

This is the puzzle I'm currently trying to work out in my head (if anyone cares...:))

Is "non-existence" equivalent to "nothingness?"

If the answer is yes, then does it follow that a belief in that which does not exist is the same as a belief in nothing?

Conversely, if "non-existence" is still "something", then would a belief in that which does not exist still be a belief in something?'

Is it possible to believe in nothingness?

Evolved1

Dunemeister

This is the puzzle I'm currently trying to work out in my head (if anyone cares...:))

If the answer is yes, then does it follow that a belief in that which does not exist is the same as a belief in nothing?

Conversely, if "non-existence" is still "something", then would a belief in that which does not exist still be a belief in something?'

Evolved1

Of course, you can play with any puzzle you like, but it's stuff like this that contributed most directly to the death of metaphysics as a respectable philosophical pursuit.... :)

Rolling_Stone

Evolved1
Yes and no; or, rather, it's not necessarily an either/or situation. When many talk about Existence, the ONE, Infinity, or God as existing, what they really mean is that "it" does not belong to the catagory of non-existence and, indeed, transcends Being.

'Course, this probably only adds to the puzzle.

eXiled

I like logic.
Truthfully, I've yet to have any feelings. Always believed, but looking back, I don't see where God has played any part in my life. I've prayed... and nothing. I used to believe God as hope. Now, not so much.

kellid

Truthfully, I've yet to have any feelings. Always believed, but looking back, I don't see where God has played any part in my life. I've prayed... and nothing. I used to believe God as hope. Now, not so much.
You've prayed and nothing? could you elaborate if you don't mind revealing such a private matter. :)