• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Existence is always 50/50

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Supposing God exists as the first cause, why does he exist? If he was not created and was always there, was it not just a 50/50 chance that he existed in order for the universe to exist? Either he would've existed or he wouldn't of. If you're to say that God had to exist, that there was no other way, could you explain why?

And the same applies for a universe without a creator. The fact that it exists was simply a flip of a coin. There just happens to be something over nothing.

Either way existence is 50/50.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Have you considered the possibility that God has always existed beyond time and space, became bored with existing with nothing to entertain Itself, so It created a play starring Itself in multiplicity to keep Itself entertained?

joe1776

Supposing God exists as the first cause, why does he exist? If he was not created and was always there, was it not just a 50/50 chance that he existed in order for the universe to exist? Either he would've existed or he wouldn't of. If you're to say that God had to exist, that there was no other way, could you explain why?

And the same applies for a universe without a creator. The fact that it exists was simply a flip of a coin. There just happens to be something over nothing.

The simple fact that there are just two options doesn't render both options equal in probability.

There's no way to determine probability in this case.

PureX

Veteran Member
I would reason that for something to exist, something extraordinary must occur. Whereas for nothing to exist, nothing would need to occur. Making existence an extremely unlikely phenomena, and logically impossible to have sprung from nothing.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member

That is not the way that odds work. Every lottery ticket is either a winner or a loser. That means the odds of winning the lottery is 50/50.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

I know of 28 hypothesis on how the universe was created, all are based on cosmological mathematics, various quantum theories or observation of artifacts present in our universe.
None of them involve god magic.

If you include god dun it that makes 29

Isnt that a 1 chance in 29?

joe1776

I would reason that for something to exist, something extraordinary must occur. Whereas for nothing to exist, nothing would need to occur. Making existence an extremely unlikely phenomena, and logically impossible to have sprung from nothing.
Aren't you assuming that we humans, based on conscious reality, have a complete understanding of cause and effect? What are the odds of that being true?:)

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
In the case of God, I think asking why is meaningless.
It's human actions that have purpose. Extending this to assume all things have purpose is a mistake.
We are a forum of overthinkers.
Overthinking is what separates us from the apes. [yes -- I know we're apes, but you take my meaning]
Without knowing more about physics and the Big Bang we're not in a position to judge extraordinaryness. Maybe existance was inevitable.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Supposing God exists as the first cause, why does he exist?
The only reason could be because there is nothing else.

If he was not created and was always there, was it not just a 50/50 chance that he existed in order for the universe to exist?
If there is nothing else, then there's nothing else to be.

Also, if god exists, it's 100% chance that he exists.

Either he would've existed or he wouldn't of. If you're to say that God had to exist, that there was no other way, could you explain why?
The question of whether God had to exist is a different one that posed above. You've abruptly introduced a normative that defers to what should be, rather than what is. Did God have to exist? No. But you pose "if he does exist," then we have to abide.

The same applies for the universe. If it does exist, there's 100% chance that it does.

Shadow Link

Wouldn't putting the existence of God into question comparably be putting the existence of Truth through the same task of questioning?

PureX

Veteran Member
Aren't you assuming that we humans, based on conscious reality, have a complete understanding of cause and effect? What are the odds of that being true?:)
What is the alternative? What we don't understand is infinite. Lacking omniscience, imagination, intuition, and reason are all we have to go with.

PureX

Veteran Member
Without knowing more about physics and the Big Bang we're not in a position to judge extraordinaryness. Maybe existence was inevitable.
Given our non-omniscience, imagination, intuition, and reason are all we humans have to go on. ANYTHING is possible. But that revelation, in itself, is of no real value to anyone.

PureX

Veteran Member
I know of 28 hypothesis on how the universe was created, all are based on cosmological mathematics, various quantum theories or observation of artifacts present in our universe.
None of them involve god magic.
Not all god-concepts assert that god defies the natural flow of it's own creation through divine 'magic'. Most assume that the creative nature of existence, itself, is the act of divine 'magic'. And since we humans have absolutely no knowledge of the source, sustenance, or purpose of existence, calling that mystery "God" and existential creation "magic" is as apt as calling it anything.

ChristineM

Premium Member
Not all god-concepts assert that god defies the natural flow of it's own creation through divine 'magic'. Most assume that the creative nature of existence, itself, is the act of divine 'magic'. And since we humans have absolutely no knowledge of the source, sustenance, or purpose of existence, calling that mystery "God" and existential creation "magic" is as apt as calling it anything.

Or guessing

The guess is that any one of the 3800+ creator gods did it

PureX

Veteran Member
Or guessing

The guess is that any one of the 3800+ creator gods did it
There are as many ways of conceiving of god as there are humans doing the conceiving because, essentially, god is the 'great mystery source, sustenance and purpose of all that exists'. And because this is a mystery, we humans have to use some sort of conceptual artifice to comprehend it for ourselves. Thus, the invention of "God", each unique to the individual needs and experiences of the person conceptualizing it.

Why would you try and argue against this??? It's like arguing with the taste of peas on the human pallet. There is no 'right' or 'wrong' way of conceptualizing a mystery because it's a mystery. There is only the way that works best for you, or for me, or for someone else. Now, we can argue and debate what it means for our conceptualization of this great mystery to "work" for us. But that's an issue of functionality, not of who's right and who's wrong.

ChristineM

Premium Member
There are as many ways of conceiving of god as there are humans doing the conceiving because, essentially, god is the 'great mystery source, sustenance and purpose of all that exists'. And because this is a mystery, we humans have to use some sort of conceptual artifice to comprehend it for ourselves. Thus, the invention of "God", each unique to the individual needs and experiences of the person conceptualizing it.

Why would you try and argue against this??? It's like arguing with the taste of peas on the human pallet. There is no 'right' or 'wrong' way of conceptualizing a mystery because it's a mystery. There is only the way that works best for you, or for me, or for someone else. Now, we can argue and debate what it means for our conceptualization of this great mystery to "work" for us. But that's an issue of functionality, not of who's right and who's wrong.

People are welcome to believe any guess they want, its still a guess.

Whatever idea people have of how the universe was created us ultimately a guess. I have no problem with that, what i argue with is the your guess is wrong and mine is right attitude of many (not all) religious

PureX

Veteran Member
People are welcome to believe any guess they want, its still a guess.
I agree. But some 'guesses' are more positively effecting for the guesser than others. And when guessing is our only option, then a positive effect becomes a very legitimate criteria for choosing.
Whatever idea people have of how the universe was created us ultimately a guess. I have no problem with that, what i argue with is the your guess is wrong and mine is right attitude of many (not all) religious.
... And of atheists who insist on the same. Fortunately, most theists are not such proselytizing religionists and most atheists are not such proselytizing anti-religionists. RF can be a bit misleading that way, because this site sometimes attracts the proselytizers from both camps.