• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Examples of sexual objectification in movies

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I just watched Transformers 3 with my bf. We shared some red wine before watching it, as it's really not my type of movie and it's the 4th of July, so I've had to mess around a bit if I'm going to sit through 2.5 hours of this.

The very first scene showing the leading woman showed a close up of her butt in underwear, and her bare legs, tip-toeing up to Shia Labeouf to flirt with him. Most of the other scenes that depict her in the movie focus on the fact that she is, in fact, visually attractive. She's eye candy throughout the film, and at one point, a damsel in distress.

There are no such visual focuses on leading male actors.

It is therefore sexual objectification with a focus towards one sex and not the other.

Kerr

Wonder why there are so many examples of "damsel in distress" but not as much "guy in distress" (as in the main male character is in distress and the main female character has to save him). The only movie I can remember right now that flip the roles is "the girl with the dragon tatoo".

Alceste

Vagabond
Wonder why there are so many examples of "damsel in distress" but not as much "guy in distress" (as in the main male character is in distress and the main female character has to save him). The only movie I can remember right now that flip the roles is "the girl with the dragon tatoo".

Most Hollywood writers, producers and directors are men. Nobody really relates to a helpless character who lacks the wit too avoid or escape danger. So if there is someone in peril who needs saving, it's almost never going to be a man unless it's a caricature of an intelligent or effeminate man (a nerd trope or a sissy boy trope). There are exceptions, of course. To me, the character in Girl With A Dragon Tattoo, or Sigourney Weaver in Alien, are more believable than the stereotypical helpless female, but it sure would be nice to see shades of grey between the two extremes.

Kerr

Most Hollywood writers, producers and directors are men. Nobody really relates to a helpless character who lacks the wit too avoid or escape danger. So if there is someone in peril who needs saving, it's almost never going to be a man unless it's a caricature of an intelligent or effeminate man (a nerd trope or a sissy boy trope). There are exceptions, of course. To me, the character in Girl With A Dragon Tattoo, or Sigourney Weaver in Alien, are more believable than the stereotypical helpless female, but it sure would be nice to see shades of grey between the two extremes.
Its believable that women sometimes end up in peril and that someone needs to save them. Like being kidnapped or something. After all, that can theoretically happen to anyone, no matter if you are man or woman. What isnt believable is that women are often pictured as helpless victimes while the men often has big bad muscles and can successfully punsh their way out of any situation because all the bad guys are idiots and cannot aim their guns... ok, maybe I exagurated a little :p. But that is how far too many hollywood movies are. At least the action movies.

Alceste

Vagabond
Its believable that women sometimes end up in peril and that someone needs to save them. Like being kidnapped or something. After all, that can theoretically happen to anyone, no matter if you are man or woman. What isnt believable is that women are often pictured as helpless victimes while the men often has big bad muscles and can successfully punsh their way out of any situation because all the bad guys are idiots and cannot aim their guns... ok, maybe I exagurated a little :p. But that is how far too many hollywood movies are. At least the action movies.

Yeah, I pretty much don't watch an American movie when I want to see non-stereotyped characters in an interesting story. Asian and European films all have stereotypes of their own, but they're not as familiar, so not as boring. Their stereotypes of women are also generally less offensive, since screenwriters outside Hollywood don't often forget to give their characters a unique personality and an inner life.

When I've had a tough day and want to see something completely brainless, then Hollywood is perfect. Very pretty looking moving pictures with lots of explosions.

dust1n

Zindīq
I dont remember exactly what its called but I remember this movie that made a twist on this. It was a romantic comedy about a sexist jerk who was hypnotized so he could only see inner beauty. The movie was silly but in the end, when he got rid of that thing, his "prize" was a really, really fat woman.

Shallow Hal. I liked that movie.