• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Eww you saw what at school?

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Time to time my old English class would show us a movie to analyse. Either to compare and contrast it to the book it was based on or merely analyse it’s themes and what have you.

Given how school usually sucks the fun out of even good book, I’ll admit the movies we watched weren’t half bad.
Some of which I have in my personal collection many years later.
To Kill a Mockingbird, Shawshank Redemption, Romeo + Juliette, Sleepers.

What about you? Ever watch or even read something for class that just stayed with you?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
A few Sam Shepard's plays did from one of my college English classes, I was introduced to Eddie Izzard in a human sexuality class, and that was for college.
High school English was Ambrose Bierce.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Shawshank Redemption. Actually, I hate movies(I can't pay attention that long), but this is one of only two I enjoy(the other is Lets Go To Prison).

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Time to time my old English class would show us a movie to analyse. Either to compare and contrast it to the book it was based on or merely analyse it’s themes and what have you.

Given how school usually sucks the fun out of even good book, I’ll admit the movies we watched weren’t half bad.

What about you? Ever watch or even read something for class that just stayed with you?

I had a history teacher who invited a friend of hers, a retired Army general who served under MacArthur and was involved in the liberation of the Philippines. On one occasion, he visited to just talk about that, although he came back a second time to show us a video produced by the American Conservative Union to warn us about the Communist threat in Central America.

It talked about a hypothetical scenario where the commies would take Central America, then Mexico, and then attack the U.S. Almost the exact same scenario became the plot for Red Dawn, which was released a few years later.

Nimos

I don't recall seeing that many movies in school to be honest, some would be old Danish classics, which probably wouldn't make a lot of sense. But otherwise I would probably say Lord of the flies that was cool.

And pretty sure we saw Animal farm as well, but if not that was really cool anyway :D

Last edited:

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I remember that we used to watch so many movies out of discussion purpose, in middle school.
Romeo and Juliet (1968)
Braveheart
Stand by me
La boum
(1980)

Shawshank Redemption (actually in high school ...by my Law and Economics teacher's initiative)

Last edited:

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I remember seeing Shenandoah when we were studying the Civil War.

I also remember seeing I Will Fight No More Forever in junior high.

Going even further back, whenever it was raining and we couldn't go outside during playground, we'd go to the auditorium where they'd show films of The Three Stooges. They would also sometimes show us a film about why we dropped the atomic bomb. The Three Stooges and war propaganda; it kind of goes together, I suppose.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I remember seeing Shenandoah when we were studying the Civil War.

I also remember seeing I Will Fight No More Forever in junior high.

Going even further back, whenever it was raining and we couldn't go outside during playground, we'd go to the auditorium where they'd show films of The Three Stooges. They would also sometimes show us a film about why we dropped the atomic bomb. The Three Stooges and war propaganda; it kind of goes together, I suppose.

We watched Bugs Bunny for examples of war propaganda.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

20000 leagues under the sea.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member

High school, not too much.
Of Mice and Men was one of the more memorable I guess. Read To Kill a Mockingbird too, but we didn't see the film.

Saw a few better ones at Uni though, in a media studies class where we focused on cues in different genres. Particularly enjoyed a couple of film noir films, although buggered if I remember the names now.

And got to make our own movie, where we had to show both inventiveness and use of traditional genre cues. Now THAT was fun.

Sirona

Hindu Wannabe
Watched movies in 11th and 12th grade, for English as a secondary language. Guess they wanted us to be "critical", whatever that means. Watched Born on the 4th of July and Forrest Gump right after that. Seeing the movies in direct comparison and seeing Forrest Gump spoofing the plot of Born on the 4th of July, praising comformism and obedience, Forrest Gump really sucked. :thumbsdown:

exchemist

Veteran Member

Romeo and Juliet, which we studied for O level, just at the time Zeffirelli's film came out. (We all fell in love with Olivia Hussey). I still remember quite a few lines from the play. Possibly the one that affects me most is:

"Oh, she doth teach the torches to burn bright! It seems she hangs upon the cheek of night like a rich jewel in an Ethiop's ear. Beauty too rich for use, for Earth too dear."

The image of a jewel glowing against dusky skin is just fabulous. And the tone of the passage captures exactly how one can be thunderstruck by a woman's beauty.

And of course the enormous number of bawdy jokes and allusions with which the play is liberally sprinkled: "The bawdy hand of the dial is now upon the prick of noon", "Oh that she were an open arse* and thou a poperin pear."

*This, rather extraordinarily, seems to have been a slang term for a fruit called a medlar. Only a couple of years ago I came across this fruit, in a garden in Brittany and this is what it looks like:
Medlar_Tree_Mespilus_germanica_530x@2x.jpg

Alles Klar.:D

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Pretty dull times when I was at school, with just a film version of Julius Caesar on offer, and on the exam syllabus, but I can't remember what set textual material we might have had - possibly Chaucer - even though I did pass the GCE English Literature exam.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Animal Farm stuck with me.

We also saw Great Expectations, which I'd already watched.

Of Mice and Men was very dull and the American-ness of it was lost on us so much of the context was missing.

Last edited: