1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured Evidences Supporting the Biblical Flood

Discussion in 'General Religious Debates' started by Hockeycowboy, Oct 17, 2018.

1. viole

viole Metaphysical Naturalist
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +3,855
    Religion:
    Gnostic Atheism
    Did you use large caps in the hope that people would take this seriously?

Ciao

- viole

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. Hockeycowboy

Hockeycowboy Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,755
    Religion:
    Christian
    Read the reference; it was the phrase Dr. Frank Hibben used.

3. Hockeycowboy

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,755
    Religion:
    Christian
    Those are not caps. Except at the beginning of the sentences. Lol

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. viole

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +3,855
    Religion:
    Gnostic Atheism
    Well, we sort of stop doing that here in Europe. There are still some older than 8 who literally believe in floods, prophets living three days in big tunas and garden of edens, and stuff like that, but they have become irrelevant in the meantime. Obviously.

Ciao

- viole

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. viole

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +3,855
    Religion:
    Gnostic Atheism
    Ok fonts, then. Lol

Ciao

- viole

• Like Like x 1
  6. Subduction Zone

Subduction Zone Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +13,143
    Religion:
    Atheist
    No need to read the OP. We know that Everest has been roughly that height for all of man's existence. You are the one that claims settled science, science that is strongly supported by evidence is wrong. That puts the burden of proof upon you.

Think of it this way, if I claimed that gravity was variable and posted some nonsense that barely fits that idea I could not claim that I showed that gravity varies. I would have to do much more than that.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Subduction Zone

Ratings:
    +13,143
    Religion:
    Atheist
    When no evidence is given for an idea it can be discounted out of hand. Hitchen's Law, that which is proposed without any evidence can be dismissed without any evidence. This is why you should first learn what is and what is not evidence.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Subduction Zone

Ratings:
    +13,143
    Religion:
    Atheist
    Dr. Frank HIbben was an archaeologist that mainly worked in New Mexico.

Frank C. Hibben - Wikipedia

Once again, do you have any valid articles written by the man? Your article does not appear to be written by him. If you need help and ask politely I will even try to find an article for you.

• Like Like x 1
  9. PuerAzaelis

PuerAzaelis Unknown Friend

Ratings:
    +20
    Religion:
    Headlessness
    I suppose it would be clever to ask what the evidence is for the validity of Hitchens' Razor, so I will refrain.

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Hockeycowboy

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,755
    Religion:
    Christian
    At least thanks for providing a counter argument w/ references....other than just ranting and raving!

As per your link, on pg. 729, it says "> 4,000 years of age."
    And that the oldest known tree is "Currey Tree," which is close to 4900 years of age.

You're close, but you misrepresented it. (Hey, it's your link.) Why?
    It's neither here nor there, though.... it still fits an interpretation of the Flood timeline.

As far as the genetic/generational evidence, I'll get back to this.
    I know genetics are pretty accurate in discovering from where a person's ancestors originated, but as to how far back the lineage goes, I'm sure there are problems and discrepancies with that. Genetics is a relatively new field, I know you're aware of this.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. Shad

Shad Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +2,913
    Religion:
    Theological noncognitivist

This is uncorroborated.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Hockeycowboy

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,755
    Religion:
    Christian
    Was that an attempt at belittling me? I got the impression that you were more mature than that.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Subduction Zone

Ratings:
    +13,143
    Religion:
    Atheist
    Perhaps it is because that is how you are acting. Don't run away when people point out the obvious and there will not be such a temptation to do so.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Subduction Zone

Ratings:
    +13,143
    Religion:
    Atheist
    One thing that you need to do for your flood claim is to give a reasonable date for the flood. You have been all over the place in dating it, which once again indicates that you are grasping at straws. But if you don't like that one there is this link:

The world's 10 oldest living trees

It does give a date and that is 4,848 years old. And it mentions an even older tree whose location is being kept secret to protect it from tourists.

And then there is the science of dendrochornology. The last I heard they could go back well over 10,000 years by matching tree rings between living and dead trees:

Dendrochronology - Wikipedia

Oops, make that 12,400 years back. Read the article. So that is no flood in the last 12,400 years. And yes, some trees are unreliable and can give either more than one ring a year or skip a year. Guess what? Scientists are not idiots and they avoid such trees for dendrochronology. So please, no strawmannig of that science.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Hockeycowboy

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,755
    Religion:
    Christian
    Or so you’ve been led to believe.

I just posted evidence.

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Subduction Zone

Ratings:
    +13,143
    Religion:
    Atheist
    No, you posted disconnected ideas that do not support a central thesis. This is why it is extremely important to understand the concept of "evidence" and scientific evidence is a concept that is clearly defined. One first needs a testable hypothesis. If observations agree with your hypothesis that is evidence for it. If observations go against your hypothesis that is evidence against it. Using a hypothesis forces people to clearly state their beliefs instead of making an ad hoc explanation that changes every time a major objection is brought against it.

I try to get flood believers to learn what is and what is not evidence not only so that they will see the truth. It also makes them better debaters, if they are right.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Skwim

Skwim Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +9,845
    Religion:
    Agnostic
    Trouble is, they're capable of recognizing real evidence for what it is, but assiduously reject its use because of what it will do to their beliefs. No fundie Christian wants, or even dares, to use real evidence to back up their contentions. It's simply too dangerous. Therefore we get all kinds of pseudo-science, misconstrued notions, and faulty logic scattered about on which to preform their tap dance. It's not pretty to read, but it's all they have.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Subduction Zone

Ratings:
    +13,143
    Religion:
    Atheist
    I know. Fear that they are wrong is what appears to drive their inability to reason. And that is why many of them also tend to get very angry when others recognize their self imposed ignorance. They have to keep themselves from understanding the sciences to maintain their false beliefs.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Hockeycowboy

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,755
    Religion:
    Christian
    I just posted evidence. Many evidences.

Now you're just consoling yourselves...I guess you believe if you belittle the opposition enough, you're pov's will poof into truth, and you'll scare others into submission.

Attack the evidence I presented, not me! Grief!

20. Skwim

Skwim Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +9,845
    Religion:
    Agnostic
    And not to too fine a point on it, but some are simply too dense to get it.---not talking about you, Hockeycowboy. I'm sure you sat at the top of your graduating class. . . . . well, pretty sure anyway. ;)

#100 Skwim, Oct 18, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1