• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Evidence God Is

nPeace

Veteran Member
The origin of the turtle shell: Mystery solved
To investigate whether the turtle carapace evolved with any contribution from its ancestors' exoskeleton, Dr. Tatsuya Hirasawa and his team carefully observed developing embryos of Chinese soft-shell turtles, chickens and alligators. In their analysis, they compared the development of the turtle carapace, the chick's ribs and the alligator's bony skin nodules. The researchers found that the major part of the turtle's carapace is made from hypertrophied ribs and vertebrae and therefore derives solely from endoskeletal tissue.

This finding was confirmed by the observation of fossils of the ancient turtle Odontochelys and the ancient reptile Sinosaurosphargis, that both exhibit shells of endoskeletal origin. Odontochelys has a rigid shell instead of a flexible ribcage. And Sinosaurosphargis possesses an endoskeletal shell similar to the turtle's under, and separate from, a layer of exoskeletal bones.

Taken together these results show that the turtle carapace has evolved independently from the exoskeleton. This scenario is also consistent with the recent phylogenetic analyses based on genomic data that have placed turtles in the same group as birds, crocodiles and marine reptiles like Sinosaurophargis, contradicting recent studies based solely on fossil record.

"Recently, genomic analyses had given us evidence that turtles evolved from reptiles closely related to alligators and dinosaurs, not from primitive reptiles as once thought. Our findings match the evolutionary history revealed by the genomic analyses, and we are about to unravel the mystery of when and how the turtle shell evolved," explains Dr. Tatsuya Hirasawa who led the research.

This is the kind of stuff some apparently consider strong and reliable evidence - one assumption after another, and the one that can fit all of them into the better package wins, until another one comes along to replace it.
Well.

I got to thinking... Why don't they check all the bacteria and see if they are missing the genitalia gene? That way, they can work on explaining why they haven't evolved them. Which interpretation gets awarded as the best evidence?
Evolution of Genitals
While the fin-to-limb transition has received considerable attention, little is known about the developmental and evolutionary origins of external genitalia. Similarities in gene expression have been interpreted as a potential evolutionary link between the limb and genitals; however, no underlying developmental mechanism has been identified. We re-examined this question using micro-computed tomography, lineage tracing in three amniote clades, and RNA-sequencing-based transcriptional profiling.

Here we have, in the early known stages of life, seeing fully formed complex living organisms appearing seemingly out of nowhere, and persons are willing to accept fanciful tales to explain their arrival to fit a scripted mythological story called The Theory of Evolution.
We have a whole host of organisms that were supposed to be the first living organisms, still existing for supposedly billions and billions of years, with no change at all, no reproduction that produces major evolutionary change... Wow.

How did male genitalia evolve? Harvard researchers discover origins of reproductive organs

Sexual selection and genital evolution
Explaining genital diversity is a longstanding problem that is attracting renewed interest from evolutionary biologists. New studies provide ever more compelling evidence that sexual selection is important in driving genital divergence. Importantly, several studies now link variation in genital morphology directly to male fertilization success, and modern comparative techniques have confirmed predicted associations between genital complexity and mating patterns across species. There is also evidence that male and female genitalia can coevolve antagonistically. Determining mechanisms of genital evolution is an important challenge if we are to resolve current debate concerning the relative significance of mate choice benefits and sexual conflict in sexual selection.

The Fascinating Evolution of Animal Genitalia (Video)

Yes, these are all so fascinating... Fascinating Fanciful Fairytale imo.
I understand why some persons prefer these fantasies, to the evidently more realistic explanation, so maybe some time in the future, who knows? Perhaps someone might author of another book - The God Delusion : Ripping God to Shreds.

Regarding design.
@Cacotopia Design is not the same as appearance. @QuestioningMind, @blü 2 Design is not the same as patterns. (Please see Randomness in design)
So I made no mention of either. I gave the definition of design, and there is a clear explanation given. It can be read in the OP.

No one therefore is looking at a bird and going, "Hey! It looks like it was designed! Therefore God..."
To illustrate.
When scientists peer at the cell, what do they see?

They see... a cell.

When they peer into the cell, and study its components, and how they work, and for what purpose... what do they see?
Ah. Now they see... DESIGN!

Biology: Cell Structure I Nucleus Medical Media

They may not have seen the designer, but the evidence of design says there is.
Randomness in Design
Cell division of meiosis and mitosis
A programmer writes a computer program that creates or generates objects in an environment with randomness applied. The program works as it's designed to - produce an object... with random features, due to the environment never being the same. Like a snowflake.

@viole What is magical, and ridiculous fantasies...
is when one says that all these components somehow assembled themselves in an intelligent manner. Enter the fairy godmother - natural selection.

Explain how natural selection created, or designed the cell. That's right, for more than 150 years they are still trying to see how they can get the genie to grant their wish.

The origin of the first cells remains a mystery
...before cells could form, the organic molecules must have united with one another to form more complex molecules called polymers.
...For a cell to come into being, some sort of enclosing membrane is required to hold together the organic materials of the cytoplasm. A generation ago, scientists believed that membranous droplets formed spontaneously. These membranous droplets, called protocells, were presumed to be the first cells. Modern scientists believe, however, that protocells do not carry any genetic information and lack the internal organization of cells. Thus the protocell perspective is not widely accepted. Several groups of scientists are currently investigating the synthesis of polypeptides and short nucleic acids on the surface of clay. The origin of the first cells remains a mystery.

Oops! Whatever happened to the Darwinian transition?
The first cells
The origin of cells was the most important step in the evolutionary theory of life on Earth. The birth of the cell marked the passage from pre-biotic chemistry to partitioned units resembling modern cells. The final transition to living entities that fulfill all the definitions of modern cells depended on the ability to evolve effectively by natural selection. This transition has been called the Darwinian transition.

Give it a few more years. I'm sure the fairy godmother will come true... some day.

@Salvador I should have mentioned that I do agree with you that there is higher intelligence, for obvious reasons.
However, I believe that alleged sightings of aliens are by persons trying to fool the public, or those persons are being fooled themselves, or both.
As regards whom they are being fooled by... I do believe a higher intelligence is involved.

If I show you that natural processes can create designed and functional systems, then your OP argument that all designed things need an agent like designer is refuted. That's the simple case I wish to make.
Then what are you waiting for? You don't need a new thread for that. Do it right here. The thread is open for debate... despite @Cacotopia's assertions that it's not.

So... considering your presentation for evidence of ID, your presenting a logical some what scientific approach to why you believe there is designer. Thats good and your points scientifically debatable.
Thank you very much. You don't know how much that means to me to see that someone actually got it, and acknowledged it as well.

nPeace

Veteran Member
But how do you sync it with the unrealistic unscientific accounts in the bible from where you get the designer. I.e..
1. A six day creation of the universe 6000 or so years ago.
2. Creation of Adam from clay and Eve from a rib.
3. A talking serpent, tree of life, and tree of knowledge of good and evil.
3. Death introduced on all life on earth from the fall of Adam and Eve.
4. A global flood and preservation of all life by a wooden ship holding 2 or 7 each of all animal and insect species.
5. All human civilizations on Earth from Noah's sons and wives. And an animal migration from Turkey to their present habitat.
6. Tower of Babel being the start of separation of human languages and races.
Present the same scientifical style evidence for the designer herself. You opened with "In the beginning God..." from the bible. Your trying to fit a square peg in a round hole by matching the two.
Thank you again. So you want to address the argument of the designer being the God described in the Bible. Good.
I will come back to you shortly. Either I will post my response here, or on my thread on the Bible, and give you the link, because I have to answer some other Bible questions. Or, I might decide to package it here as evidence of God too, since that's the title.
However, I am currently having problems with my screen, so I can't use it as long as I would like, so just be patient.

Yes... here we go again. I never said that YOU mentioned patterns. In my previous post I specifically stated that I'M the one who brought up patterns. What I said about patterns is that complex patterns exist in nature and that YOU are mistaking these complex patterns as some sort of evidence for intentional design. JUST like those tractor wheel patterns you mentioned in the dirt. It could be easy to see such complex patterns and conclude that the design was planned, yet such patterns are simply the result of random actions by the tractor's movements across the field.
:facepalm: Oh boy. Here we go again, is right. I give up. When you get it I may be gray... if you get it. :(

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
The origin of the turtle shell: Mystery solved
To investigate whether the turtle carapace evolved with any contribution from its ancestors' exoskeleton, Dr. Tatsuya Hirasawa and his team carefully observed developing embryos of Chinese soft-shell turtles, chickens and alligators. In their analysis, they compared the development of the turtle carapace, the chick's ribs and the alligator's bony skin nodules. The researchers found that the major part of the turtle's carapace is made from hypertrophied ribs and vertebrae and therefore derives solely from endoskeletal tissue.

This finding was confirmed by the observation of fossils of the ancient turtle Odontochelys and the ancient reptile Sinosaurosphargis, that both exhibit shells of endoskeletal origin. Odontochelys has a rigid shell instead of a flexible ribcage. And Sinosaurosphargis possesses an endoskeletal shell similar to the turtle's under, and separate from, a layer of exoskeletal bones.

Taken together these results show that the turtle carapace has evolved independently from the exoskeleton. This scenario is also consistent with the recent phylogenetic analyses based on genomic data that have placed turtles in the same group as birds, crocodiles and marine reptiles like Sinosaurophargis, contradicting recent studies based solely on fossil record.

"Recently, genomic analyses had given us evidence that turtles evolved from reptiles closely related to alligators and dinosaurs, not from primitive reptiles as once thought. Our findings match the evolutionary history revealed by the genomic analyses, and we are about to unravel the mystery of when and how the turtle shell evolved," explains Dr. Tatsuya Hirasawa who led the research.

This is the kind of stuff some apparently consider strong and reliable evidence - one assumption after another, and the one that can fit all of them into the better package wins, until another one comes along to replace it.
Well.

I got to thinking... Why don't they check all the bacteria and see if they are missing the genitalia gene? That way, they can work on explaining why they haven't evolved them. Which interpretation gets awarded as the best evidence?
Evolution of Genitals
While the fin-to-limb transition has received considerable attention, little is known about the developmental and evolutionary origins of external genitalia. Similarities in gene expression have been interpreted as a potential evolutionary link between the limb and genitals; however, no underlying developmental mechanism has been identified. We re-examined this question using micro-computed tomography, lineage tracing in three amniote clades, and RNA-sequencing-based transcriptional profiling.

Here we have, in the early known stages of life, seeing fully formed complex living organisms appearing seemingly out of nowhere, and persons are willing to accept fanciful tales to explain their arrival to fit a scripted mythological story called The Theory of Evolution.
We have a whole host of organisms that were supposed to be the first living organisms, still existing for supposedly billions and billions of years, with no change at all, no reproduction that produces major evolutionary change... Wow.

How did male genitalia evolve? Harvard researchers discover origins of reproductive organs

Sexual selection and genital evolution
Explaining genital diversity is a longstanding problem that is attracting renewed interest from evolutionary biologists. New studies provide ever more compelling evidence that sexual selection is important in driving genital divergence. Importantly, several studies now link variation in genital morphology directly to male fertilization success, and modern comparative techniques have confirmed predicted associations between genital complexity and mating patterns across species. There is also evidence that male and female genitalia can coevolve antagonistically. Determining mechanisms of genital evolution is an important challenge if we are to resolve current debate concerning the relative significance of mate choice benefits and sexual conflict in sexual selection.

The Fascinating Evolution of Animal Genitalia (Video)

Yes, these are all so fascinating... Fascinating Fanciful Fairytale imo.
I understand why some persons prefer these fantasies, to the evidently more realistic explanation, so maybe some time in the future, who knows? Perhaps someone might author of another book - The God Delusion : Ripping God to Shreds.

Regarding design.
@Cacotopia Design is not the same as appearance. @QuestioningMind, @blü 2 Design is not the same as patterns. (Please see Randomness in design)
So I made no mention of either. I gave the definition of design, and there is a clear explanation given. It can be read in the OP.

No one therefore is looking at a bird and going, "Hey! It looks like it was designed! Therefore God..."
To illustrate.
When scientists peer at the cell, what do they see?

They see... a cell.

When they peer into the cell, and study its components, and how they work, and for what purpose... what do they see?
Ah. Now they see... DESIGN!

Biology: Cell Structure I Nucleus Medical Media

Randomness in Design
Cell division of meiosis and mitosis
A programmer writes a computer program that creates or generates objects in an environment with randomness applied. The program works as it's designed to - produce an object... with random features, due to the environment never being the same. Like a snowflake.

@viole What is magical, and ridiculous fantasies...
is when one says that all these components somehow assembled themselves in an intelligent manner. Enter the fairy godmother - natural selection.

Explain how natural selection created, or designed the cell. That's right, for more than 150 years they are still trying to see how they can get the genie to grant their wish.

The origin of the first cells remains a mystery
...before cells could form, the organic molecules must have united with one another to form more complex molecules called polymers.
...For a cell to come into being, some sort of enclosing membrane is required to hold together the organic materials of the cytoplasm. A generation ago, scientists believed that membranous droplets formed spontaneously. These membranous droplets, called protocells, were presumed to be the first cells. Modern scientists believe, however, that protocells do not carry any genetic information and lack the internal organization of cells. Thus the protocell perspective is not widely accepted. Several groups of scientists are currently investigating the synthesis of polypeptides and short nucleic acids on the surface of clay. The origin of the first cells remains a mystery.

Oops! Whatever happened to the Darwinian transition?
The first cells
The origin of cells was the most important step in the evolutionary theory of life on Earth. The birth of the cell marked the passage from pre-biotic chemistry to partitioned units resembling modern cells. The final transition to living entities that fulfill all the definitions of modern cells depended on the ability to evolve effectively by natural selection. This transition has been called the Darwinian transition.

Give it a few more years. I'm sure the fairy godmother will come true... some day.

@Salvador I should have mentioned that I do agree with you that there is higher intelligence, for obvious reasons.
However, I believe that alleged sightings of aliens are by persons trying to fool the public, or those persons are being fooled themselves, or both.
As regards whom they are being fooled by... I do believe a higher intelligence is involved.

Then what are you waiting for? You don't need a new thread for that. Do it right here. The thread is open for debate... despite @Cacotopia's assertions that it's not.

Thank you very much. You don't know how much that means to me to see that someone actually got it, and acknowledged it as well.
Its clear that you are not interested in knowing anything at all. The articles on turtle shell evolution is an excellent bit of good scientific investigation. Instead you mock the evidence based conclusions presented in it. If you wish to remain deluded then its your choice. The joke is on you mate.

Cacotopia

Let's go full Trottle
Would you care address the infinite regression flaw and how your god isn't at the bottom of the ladder of complexity of gods from the infinitely more complex number of gods required to create your god?

nPeace

Veteran Member
From naive point of view intelligent design seems the only possible answer, however closer examination of the actual small steps made over a fantastically long period of time shows normal natural processes achieve these amazing results as a part of their normal development. The flawed argument in intelligent design is a failure to see the range of natural biological experiments that succeeded (survival) and failed(extinctions) and gradual changes that eventually led to the current complex biological systems over time, they were definitely not an overnight finished product from day dot. With time, from small things big things grow, no need for intelligent designer. Accepting intelligent design ignores several centuries of scientific observations.
Cheers
This is interesting.
Can you give me a bit more on those "small steps", and "normal natural processes" please.
You make it seem so simple, but isn't that perhaps because of wanting to believe it?
You said:
gradual changes that eventually led to the current complex biological systems over time
Are you aware scientists are scratching their heads on how to fill those gaps that require huge leaps and bounds?
Take for example - the sudden arrival of complex organisms and systems.

Cacotopia

Let's go full Trottle
Did you know not every dead animal is preserved after death? Sometimes....they are eaten.

19zndp.jpg

nPeace

Veteran Member
Its clear that you are not interested in knowing anything at all. The articles on turtle shell evolution is an excellent bit of good scientific investigation. Instead you mock the evidence based conclusions presented in it. If you wish to remain deluded then its your choice. The joke is on you mate.
What did I say that wasn't right. Did I lie or something?
The evidence based conclusions we present are worth discarding because your evidence based conclusions are what... Direct evidence?
It's not.

I'm making a point about how conclusions are reached.
When conclusions are reached by various methods, and those conclusions are later retracted, do you consider it "satisfactorily explanations"?
That's your choice. No joke.

@Cacotopia, I'll be with you shortly. I haven't eaten.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
This is interesting.
Can you give me a bit more on those "small steps", and "normal natural processes" please.
You make it seem so simple, but isn't that perhaps because of wanting to believe it?

Are you aware scientists are scratching their heads on how to fill those gaps that require huge leaps and bounds?
How evolutionary processes transformed the gill arches of ancient fish into hands of all land animals. Combining fossil evidence with experimental genetics.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
What did I say that wasn't right. Did I lie or something?
The evidence based conclusions we present are worth discarding because your evidence based conclusions are what... Direct evidence?
It's not.

I'm making a point about how conclusions are reached.
When conclusions are reached by various methods, and those conclusions are later retracted, do you consider it "satisfactorily explanations"?
That's your choice. No joke.

@Cacotopia, I'll be with you shortly. I haven't eaten.
Explain the problem with the conclusions of the paper on turtle shell evolution. Explain what your specific objection is.
Here is the full article that was published in Nature.
The endoskeletal origin of the turtle carapace

The turtle body plan, with its solid shell, deviates radically from those of other tetrapods. The dorsal part of the turtle shell, or the carapace, consists mainly of costal and neural bony plates, which are continuous with the underlying thoracic ribs and vertebrae, respectively. Because of their superficial position, the evolutionary origins of these costo-neural elements have long remained elusive. Here we show, through comparative morphological and embryological analyses, that the major part of the carapace is derived purely from endoskeletal ribs. We examine turtle embryos and find that the costal and neural plates develop not within the dermis, but within deeper connective tissue where the rib and intercostal muscle anlagen develop. We also examine the fossils of an outgroup of turtles to confirm that the structure equivalent to the turtle carapace developed independently of the true osteoderm. Our results highlight the hitherto unravelled evolutionary course of the turtle shell.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
This is the kind of stuff some apparently consider strong and reliable evidence - one assumption after another
Specify what you say are the 'assumptions'. Present us with a list of them.

And ─ even more importantly ─ spell out for us what happened instead.
and the one that can fit all of them into the better package wins, until another one comes along to replace it.
That's a normal operation of science ─ all conclusions are tentative because they're derived empirically and inductively. Whether your sarcastic tone is well placed, we know better when you provide that list of assumptions and the correct replacements for them.
Regarding design.
Who do you say is the designer? How do you know?
That appears to be your view, not theirs, and is essentially an argument from incredulity, not from evidence. What is your evidence that it's impossible in principle for the cell to have evolved (given it's had over three billion years to do so)?
The final transition to living entities that fulfill all the definitions of modern cells depended on the ability to evolve effectively by natural selection. This transition has been called the Darwinian transition.
So let's get this clear ─ if science presents a clear possible natural pathway from chemistry to biochemistry to self-reproducing cell, you'll say, Ah, I was wrong!, correct?

And meanwhile your designer lurks in the gaps, and silently, in the dark of night, sneaks out to sprinkle pixie dust on bits of chemistry and mutter the magic words, and when you wake up in the morning, there's your lawn, all covered with toadstools!

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Out of all thats said and done, my simple question:

Take a mother and father creating a baby that later grows in her mother's womb. A lot of babies both animal and human, in simple terms, go through this process (context as point).

1. How does a baby growing in her mother's womb = god being the creator of this common design?

2. What is the equation that lets us understand how these two go together beyond "because it says so"? (anything can 'say so'; many do) but....

3. That and how does complexity lead to a designer?

Nothing is created. When humans "create" something, they are just taking preexisting materials from the earth and making it to X, Y, or Z. We didnt create anything from thin air.

Likewise with nature, nothing is created from thin air. Its always created in and within something else. (edit)

4. So, how did you get a creator from a design?

5. ....and more so why call it creation when nothing is created?

Thanks.

Jose Fly

Fisker of men
It's weird, isn't it? @nPeace posts a description of scientists making an observation, formulating a hypothesis, then testing and confirming that hypothesis, and from that he says it's all just assumption?

While it's extremely bizarre behavior, it's also fascinating to watch.

nPeace

Veteran Member
What if the questions are irrelevant? IIRC it's irrelevant in Buddhism. There are human religions that think those questions are beside the point.
Buddhism? I think you just said a bad word.
There is no religion you can name, that is not concerned with those questions, except they formulated the idea after a seemingly futile pursuit of answers that suits them.
Buddha was one such individual.
*** sh chap. 6 pp. 136-138 Buddhism - A Search for Enlightenment Without God ***
The Enlightenment - How It Happened
14 What was the aforementioned “turning point of his career”? It was when, for the first time in his life, he saw a sick man, an old man, and a dead man. This experience caused him to agonize over the meaning of life - Why were men born, only to suffer, grow old, and die? Then, it was said that he saw a holy man, one who had renounced the world in pursuit of truth. This impelled Gautama to give up his family, his possessions, and his princely name and spend the next six years seeking the answer from Hindu teachers and gurus, but without success. The accounts tell us that he pursued a course of meditation, fasting, Yoga, and extreme self-denial, yet he found no spiritual peace or enlightenment.

15 Eventually he came to realize that his extreme course of self-denial was as useless as the life of self-indulgence that he had led before. He now adopted what he called the Middle Way, avoiding the extremes of the life-styles that he had been following. Deciding that the answer was to be found in his own consciousness, he sat in meditation under a pipal, or Indian fig tree. Resisting attacks and temptations by the devil Mara, he continued steadfast in his meditation for four weeks (some say seven weeks) until he supposedly transcended all knowledge and understanding and reached enlightenment.

16 By this process, in Buddhist terminology, Gautama became the Buddha - the Awakened, or Enlightened, One. He had attained the ultimate goal, Nirvana, the state of perfect peace and enlightenment, freed from desire and suffering. He has also become known as Sakyamuni (sage of the Sakya tribe), and he often addressed himself as Tathagata (one who thus came [to teach]). Different Buddhist sects, however, hold different views on this subject. Some view him strictly as a human who found the path to enlightenment for himself and taught it to his followers. Others view him as the final one of a series of Buddhas to have come into the world to preach or revive the dharma (Pali, Dhamma), the teaching or way of the Buddha. Still others view him as a bodhisattva, one who had attained enlightenment but postponed entering Nirvana in order to help others in their pursuit of enlightenment. Whatever it is, this event, the Enlightenment, is of central importance to all schools of Buddhism.

Eventually the body can't cope with a lifetime of stressors, internal or external. Immortality ain't what it's cracked up to be. Ask Eos.
Now this is what I would consider, human religion you referred to - one that develops its own ideas on life, because of not understanding or accepting any answers provided on questions about life.

Evolution by natural selection is the solution to the problem of apparent design in living things, and it has no need for a god. If you are going to argue for the existence of God, using the first cause or "cosmological" argument makes more sense, as science has still not answered this question. But the argument from "design" is a lost cause, although I'll grant that living things are quite complex, which would lead someone unfamiliar with how natural selection works to believe they are designed by a conscious designer when they actually aren't
Please see the post here, from "Regarding design".

nPeace

Veteran Member
Would you care address the infinite regression flaw and how your god isn't at the bottom of the ladder of complexity of gods from the infinitely more complex number of gods required to create your god?
Okay, so a design - a machine (a caterpillar - tractor) for example... It was designed with various components, which operate in specific ways, to reach an end goal.
A caterpillar (animal), it has basic components, which allows it to have specific function, with an intended purpose/objective.
Is the designer built with various components, to carry out specific functions, to an intended goal?
Let the Bible answer.
The Bible say:
Isaiah 40:26 “Lift up your eyes to heaven and see. Who has created these things? It is the One who brings out their army by number; He calls them all by name. Because of his vast dynamic energy and his awe-inspiring power, Not one of them is missing.
Isaiah 43:10 Before me there was no God formed, and after me there continued to be none.
Isaiah 44:6 ‘I am the first and I am the last. There is no God but me.

What does science say?
The first law of thermodynamics, also known as Law of Conservation of Energy, states that energy can neither be created nor destroyed; energy can only be transferred or changed from one form to another.

What is thought? What is intelligence? Who can answer the question on the origin of ability?
What is fascinating to me, is that the organ that is the most complex in the universe, is what utilizes, or processes these - thought and intelligence, and also understanding speech.
I find this an interesting read... Where Do Our Thoughts Come From?

So when we unite the first cause - energy, with thought, intelligence, ability, and attributes, such as love, wisdom, justice, etc. and more... I'm sure... this is a limited description of God.
There is no need for infinite regression, because the first cause is not a design, and therefore requires no designer.

Does the infinite regression argument stand in the face of the first cause argument? It collapses instantly.
How can the first cause be caused?
It has no beginning. It has no end, but is rather the beginning and the end. Isaiah 48:12; Revelation 22:13

Please note, the energy the Bible refers to, is not the same form of energy man is aware of.
The Bible says...
Deuteronomy 10:14 . . .Look, to Jehovah your God belong the heavens, even the heavens of the heavens [the highest heavens], and the earth with all that is in it.

So the ultimate energy source - Jehovah God - is outside the highest heavens, while man has no idea what's beyond our universe.
What is known to man, is hence transferred or converted energy.

Our God, Jehovah is AWESOME! His name is MAJESTIC! The Bible is a FANTASTIC and fascinating work that seems clearly evident, it is the inspired word of God.

To me, it is truly sad that persons reject it, but I understand the factors involved in that sad reality.
Joshua said:
...serve Jehovah. 15 Now if it seems bad to you to serve Jehovah, choose for yourselves today whom you will serve, But as for me and my household, we will serve Jehovah.
Joshua 24:14, 15

Truly, he deserves that honor. (1 Chronicles 29:10-13; Psalm 145:3; 8:1-4; 1 Timothy 1:17)
One thing is for sure though...
The evidence shows that God is.

Did you know not every dead animal is preserved after death? Sometimes....they are eaten.

View attachment 25299
What's your point?

nPeace

Veteran Member
How evolutionary processes transformed the gill arches of ancient fish into hands of all land animals. Combining fossil evidence with experimental genetics.
I think you could have saved me an hour of my life.
Just so you know that I watched it in its entirety, I took some notes.

Studying various living things help us learn about other things - like studying corn to learn about ourselves. o_O
The important thing here is, by applying understanding basic biological discovering applying it to humans, we really have to have an understanding about what the same is... in different creatures. I think he rambled a bit there so I made note of that as well. :D
Like all important concepts, this concept [sameness] has deep deep historical roots. Natural philosophers have been thinking about these questions.
Sir Richard Owen [anatomist] - As a comparative anatomist - In uncovering great natural diversity of different kinds of creatures and their skeletons, and so forth, he saw common plans, common designs.
His Book :
The nature of limbs (Contents: Notion of sameness - similar features in different creatures; similar features in the same creature.) They have a similar sort of plan. Hmm.
- Argument: if you look at the arm of a human, the wing of a bird, any limbed animal, and you look at the skeleton inside of it, there is a common structural beam or design. There are different designs for example in the wing of a fly.
16th century natural philosopher [Sentelia] of France - Law of Connections - the way patterns of bones articulate wit each other is highly conserved among different creatures - sameness.
Couldn't find any information at all, anywhere about this guy, or his law.

Darwin came along and changed all that.
After Darwin
Patterns in skeleton structure.
Comparing bones - not all the same, but similar in some ways.
Make hypotheses about what is the same bone in other creatures.

Analogy of vehicles - Sameness exists in the history of vehicle; vehicle parts; processes that make the cars

What's written in the gene directs development. Duh :shrug:
Inducing [chemicals] cause duplications. Or cause missing parts if that's what the goal was, but the goal was to cause a duplication of parts, and guess what? :D
Claims of repeated parts in structures... by looking at them.
After showing what everyone by now knows, that the genetic code in DNA determines how an organism is built, and this is the case in every living thing...
39:15 - 40:10 When you listen, please pay close attention to 39:47, 39:48, there is still the element of uncertainty.
So you could have saved me that hour, and just thrown in the transitional fossils, as your evidence.
That way I could respond with a brief link, and end your lesson.
What this video does, is show nothing different to what I said.

So let me ask, do scientists have to infer from their gathered evidence what they suppose to be the facts?
Can I get a yes or no, or is that difficult?

Explain the problem with the conclusions of the paper on turtle shell evolution. Explain what your specific objection is.
Here is the full article that was published in Nature.
The endoskeletal origin of the turtle carapace

The turtle body plan, with its solid shell, deviates radically from those of other tetrapods. The dorsal part of the turtle shell, or the carapace, consists mainly of costal and neural bony plates, which are continuous with the underlying thoracic ribs and vertebrae, respectively. Because of their superficial position, the evolutionary origins of these costo-neural elements have long remained elusive. Here we show, through comparative morphological and embryological analyses, that the major part of the carapace is derived purely from endoskeletal ribs. We examine turtle embryos and find that the costal and neural plates develop not within the dermis, but within deeper connective tissue where the rib and intercostal muscle anlagen develop. We also examine the fossils of an outgroup of turtles to confirm that the structure equivalent to the turtle carapace developed independently of the true osteoderm. Our results highlight the hitherto unravelled evolutionary course of the turtle shell.
Well. I though I explained myself clearly, more than once. I'll try again.
Maybe if you get involved, that might help.

This scenario is also consistent with the recent phylogenetic analyses based on genomic data that have placed turtles in the same group as birds, crocodiles and marine reptiles like Sinosaurophargis, contradicting recent studies based solely on fossil record.

Question : Was the evidence recent studies based solely on fossil record, satisfactorily explanations of scientific theories?
After it was found to contradict the other studies, what is it considered to be? Was it assumed to be what it was not?
When future studies reveal that earlier studies were not as they thought, are we wrong in saying that their had assumed, supposed, interpreted, inferred... and these assumptions were wrong?
Is it not true that without direct evidence, one must honestly admit that they cannot claim their evidence is fact - especially when that evidence has been subject to change?

Isn't this a lot like Darwin's speculations on finches, that one 'turns into another'?
Do we use that terminology when referring to the diversity of the human population?
Is there a difference? Would you like to explain what?

Oh, by the way, thank you for admitting that you are one of those teachers I referred to on RF.
Its clear that you are not interested in knowing anything at all.
I didn't even have to pry it out of you. ;)

nPeace

Veteran Member
Specify what you say are the 'assumptions'. Present us with a list of them.
No I will not. Read the post like everyone else. Say what? o_O

And ─ even more importantly ─ spell out for us what happened instead.
You sure that's what you want? Okay. :)
Read Genesis chapter 1. It's too long to post here. However, when reading it, think of each day as long periods of time, even thousands of years where various life for were brought forth, lived and died.

That's a normal operation of science ─ all conclusions are tentative because they're derived empirically and inductively. Whether your sarcastic tone is well placed, we know better when you provide that list of assumptions and the correct replacements for them.

Who do you say is the designer? How do you know?
Please read the OP, as well as the post here.
However, I do not say I know (within I believe I know). I believe what the Bible says about the designer, but i know there is a designer, based on the evidence - primarily what I mentioned in the OP.

That appears to be your view, not theirs, and is essentially an argument from incredulity, not from evidence. What is your evidence that it's impossible in principle for the cell to have evolved (given it's had over three billion years to do so)?
Please identify what is not evidence in the OP.
What is your evidence that the cell evolved?

So let's get this clear ─ if science presents a clear possible natural pathway from chemistry to biochemistry to self-reproducing cell, you'll say, Ah, I was wrong!, correct?
I believe there is a clearly presented pathway, that is not just possible, but clearly evident. I presented it in this thread, and I believe that. Do you?
Scientists try to retrace the path by using one method, and one method only - natural science. It restrict its exploration, and therefore cannot be considered a clear pathway to any truth. In fact it does not even try to reach that.

And meanwhile your designer lurks in the gaps, and silently, in the dark of night, sneaks out to sprinkle pixie dust on bits of chemistry and mutter the magic words, and when you wake up in the morning, there's your lawn, all covered with toadstools!
No. The God of the gaps argument is a bogus argument.

Cacotopia

Let's go full Trottle
What are the other 3 laws? Cause I have heard that nonsense before, you should know that when applying the 2nd 3rd and 4th that doesn't work. . As I said before you will break down your own rationality to defend your own god from the very method you are reasoning with to call every thing designed. Creationists are just like their god, they make the rules to reason with and break all of them immediately.

Am I a prophet cause I can tell the future?

Thermodynamics, Creationism, and Evolution

Tiapan

Grumpy Old Man
This is interesting.

Sure pickup any current biology book certified for use in Australian Canadian New Zealand or UK schools.
I would not use american texts as they could be God biased in the south.
I am disappointed that you have not taken the time yourself to research the topic instead of respouting someone elses rhetoric. The evolution of the eye and ear have been very adequately described in many texts and even in other posts in these forums. Seek and ye shall find!
Cheers

nPeace

Veteran Member
Out of all thats said and done, my simple question:

Take a mother and father creating a baby that later grows in her mother's womb. A lot of babies both animal and human, in simple terms, go through this process (context as point).

1. How does a baby growing in her mother's womb = god being the creator of this common design?
No human couple creates a baby. They can produce, or make one, or more from their reproductive organs.
The reproductive organs were first designed when God created the first human couple with the ability to reproduce - make copies.

Reproduce:
verb
  1. produce again.
    "a concert performance cannot reproduce all the subtleties of a recording"
    • produce a copy or representation of.
      verb: reproduce; 3rd person present: reproduces; past tense: reproduced; past participle: reproduced; gerund or present participle: reproducing
      "his works are reproduced on postcards and posters"
      synonyms: copy, duplicate, replicate;

• create something very similar to (something else), especially in a different medium or context.
      "the problems are difficult to reproduce in the laboratory"
      synonyms: repeat, replicate, recreate, redo;

2. What is the equation that lets us understand how these two go together beyond "because it says so"? (anything can 'say so'; many do) but....
I'm sure this is not a "birds and the bees" question? What do you mean?

3. That and how does complexity lead to a designer?
Could you explain... What is complexity: What is design?

Nothing is created. When humans "create" something, they are just taking preexisting materials from the earth and making it to X, Y, or Z. We didnt create anything from thin air.

Likewise with nature, nothing is created from thin air. Its always created in and within something else. (edit)

4. So, how did you get a creator from a design?

5. ....and more so why call it creation when nothing is created?

Thanks.
The word create is used quite loosely in the English language, so we may differ in how we look at this.

I don't usually refer to building anything as creating, because one is making it from something that was already created - existing.
So I would say, the person made it.

Creation, in my view, means bringing into existence from one's own "material".
For example, Genesis 2:7 reads...
And Jehovah God went on to form the man out of dust from the ground and to blow into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living person
Notice it didn't say, God created the man from the dust. It says he formed him.

Another example...
Genesis 2:21, 22
21 So Jehovah God caused the man to fall into a deep sleep, and while he was sleeping, he took one of his ribs and then closed up the flesh over its place. 22 And Jehovah God built the rib that he had taken from the man into a woman, and he brought her to the man.

Again it did not say, Jehovah created the woman from a rib, but it says he built her from it.
Yet Genesis 1:27, it says "And God went on to create the man in his image, in God’s image he created him; male and female he created them. "
So is there a contradiction?
No. Jehovah did create the man and woman, using his own materials - that out of himself, but he also used already existing material, to form/fashion/build them.

Interestingly, that was the original use of the word "create".
The Hebrew ba·raʼʹ and the Greek ktiʹzo, both meaning “create,” are used exclusively with reference to divine creation.

Late Middle English (in the sense ‘form out of nothing,’ used of a divine or supernatural being): from Latin creat- ‘produced,’ from the verb creare .

So to answer your questions.
When you understand what design is, see the OP, you have the answer to question #4.
Question #5, I believe was just answered.

nPeace

Veteran Member
What are the other 3 laws? Cause I have heard that nonsense before, you should know that when applying the 2nd 3rd and 4th that doesn't work. . As I said before you will break down your own rationality to defend your own god from the very method you are reasoning with to call every thing designed. Creationists are just like their god, they make the rules to reason with and break all of them immediately.

Am I a prophet cause I can tell the future?

Thermodynamics, Creationism, and Evolution
What argument are you making?

Sure pickup any current biology book certified for use in Australian Canadian New Zealand or UK schools.
I would not use american texts as they could be God biased in the south.
I am disappointed that you have not taken the time yourself to research the topic instead of respouting someone elses rhetoric. The evolution of the eye and ear have been very adequately described in many texts and even in other posts in these forums. Seek and ye shall find!
Cheers
What rhetoric have I spouted, and what topic are you asserting I haven't researched?