• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Evidence for Human Evolution

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Sure, all is based on opposite polarities. It would be no different with your inner bodily workings.

Where did "spiritual" come from? It can be explained with energy.

Spiritual comes from the mind of people who believe there are such things as spirits.

And if they can be explained with energy, do you think we can weigh a spirit?

Ciao

- viole

Unification

Spiritual comes from the mind of people who believe there are such things as spirits.

And if they can be explained with energy, do you think we can weigh a spirit?

Ciao

- viole

Not weighing spirit, or explaining spirit with energy, the idea was to eliminate the word "spirit" from the conversation as I know that that word is not in your views and has no validity while reasoning with you.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
So what do you think about human evolution? Is there strong evidence we evolved from apes or is it all nonsense?
I have not approached it scientifically, but I am convinced from the work of scientists plus my own experiences.

First I can see how it might be possible. I can see that the Earth is very old for myself. I have personally dug up a fossil or two. I can see that the Earth has many different kinds of life but that almost every living thing is partially similar to other living things. Some things are so similar that it is hard to know whether they are different things or the same. Finally I can see changes can be passed on from parent to child to become normal. I know that there is some aspect of reproduction in living things which allows changes to remain and traits to be passed on, that a change can become part of the norm. I also know that creatures do not change rapidly, spontaneously but inherit their traits from parents with only small differences.

Secondly I see that humans reproduce sexually. We do not appear out of nowhere. Instead it takes two humans to make a new one, and parents pass on their traits to children just as with stupid animals. I reason that if evolution happens among the stupid animals, then it likely happens among humans.

Thirdly the fossil record shows that new species have appeared over time, and there is an order to it. There are for example layers in the Earth associated with time periods, and these layers are discovered by digging. Creatures similar to us appear recently in the layers. Creatures dissimilar to us appear farther back in the fossil record.

These three things are enough to be convincing that all things change, and that changes can accumulate to change creature abilities and traits.

AndromedaRXJ

I have not approached it scientifically, but I am convinced from the work of scientists plus my own experiences.

First I can see how it might be possible. I can see that the Earth is very old for myself. I have personally dug up a fossil or two. I can see that the Earth has many different kinds of life but that almost every living thing is partially similar to other living things. Some things are so similar that it is hard to know whether they are different things or the same. Finally I can see changes can be passed on from parent to child to become normal. I know that there is some aspect of reproduction in living things which allows changes to remain and traits to be passed on, that a change can become part of the norm. I also know that creatures do not change rapidly, spontaneously but inherit their traits from parents with only small differences.

Secondly I see that humans reproduce sexually. We do not appear out of nowhere. Instead it takes two humans to make a new one, and parents pass on their traits to children just as with stupid animals. I reason that if evolution happens among the stupid animals, then it likely happens among humans.

Thirdly the fossil record shows that new species have appeared over time, and there is an order to it. There are for example layers in the Earth associated with time periods, and these layers are discovered by digging. Creatures similar to us appear recently in the layers. Creatures dissimilar to us appear farther back in the fossil record.

These three things are enough to be convincing that all things change, and that changes can accumulate to change creature abilities and traits.

Why call them stupid animals? Just curious.

Brickjectivity

Staff member
Premium Member
Why call them stupid animals? Just curious.
They cannot tell us anything. Therefore it is good to point out that they cannot be consulted. For example if I say something about bonobos there is no point in saying "Did you ask a bonobo about that?" They cannot tell us where they came from, but humans can argue about where we came from. They are stupid, and we are not.

AndromedaRXJ

They cannot tell us anything. Therefore it is good to point out that they cannot be consulted. For example if I say something about bonobos there is no point in saying "Did you ask a bonobo about that?" They cannot tell us where they came from, but humans can argue about where we came from. They are stupid, and we are not.

A dog growling at you or wagging it's tail isn't telling you something? It's a form of communication.

Also, did you know that dolphins have a rather complex language? Maybe they can't understand our language and we can profess that they're stupid, but they could also say the same about us.

AndromedaRXJ

I am trying to stay on topic of the opening post. I don't deny that growling is a form of communication.

It just seems kind of egocentric to call other animals stupid just because they don't [entirely] understand us when we speak to them.

Dogs can communicate with each other better than we can to them. So from their perspective, we may seem stupid.

Brickjectivity

Staff member
Premium Member
It just seems kind of egocentric to call other animals stupid just because they don't [entirely] understand us when we speak to them.

Dogs can communicate with each other better than we can to them. So from their perspective, we may seem stupid.
I see what you mean.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Not weighing spirit, or explaining spirit with energy, the idea was to eliminate the word "spirit" from the conversation as I know that that word is not in your views and has no validity while reasoning with you.

However, spirits seem to have some sort of weight. I tend to gain weight when I drink lots of them :)

Ciao

- viole

gnostic

The Lost One

Different people would or will have different views on the word "spirit".

Some do view spirits as energy. While others don't.

So it is dependent on how one would define "spirit".

In the real world, energy don't exist without some sort of sources, be that matters, anti-matters, dark matters, or one of those subatomic particles (eg. elementary particles).

Light, for instance, require a origin of source, eg would be light bulb, laser device, flame from fire, or emission from the Sun (or other stars). Light just don't come out of nowhere or from nothing. And it each one would require some sorts of energy to emit the light from the sources, like electricity for light bulb or laser device, the combustion of fuel and oxygen for fire, or the nuclear fusion of hydrogen fuel into heavier elements, like helium.

Both the pre-Islamic pagans and Muslims believed that djinns are spirits made out of smokeless fire. Christians believed that angels are winged beings, and the seraph angels as living fire, with 4 faces (or was that 4 heads; I can't remember which).

Other people might view spirits as consciousnesses that don't require the brains for its existence, is equally preposterous as those who think spirits are energies.

The problems with spirits are they are ill-defined, and certainly not understood by the people who believe in them, because of the variety of views that people have, and the ego of competing people, religions and mystics.

prometheus11

gnostic, I agree with you, but photons, as any fundamental particle, do sometimes appear spontaneously out of the quantum vacuum. However, they disappear so quickly they would never be detectable. (Unless you had very fast-spinning mirrors in that exact spot and a kick azz photo multiplier very close by).