• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Evidence For And Against Evolution

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
I don't see why you think that one species of animals sometimes prays to a made up being to be significant.
In reference to that point, it appears by observation and recognition of changing elements in the atmosphere, that it is possible that mankind may change forever in the way it has lived within the past several thousand years. Some environmentalists and others are getting rather concerned that cities by the sea will take a real hit due to rising waters. Smithsonian Institute just published some information about the bird population of North America is drastically reduced. Of course, birds don't read or write either, they don't tell humans what to do about their disappearance.
Death is always in the picture, such as drownings at sea and tsunamis, not welcomed by most. But, you might reason, who cares? That's the way it is. Do you reason that way, for instance, when a child, for instance, dies? Is that the way it is? Well -- someone might reason -- that's evolution, so why be bothered by it. It is, after all, just an inherited by virtue of genetic evolution, anxiety!

YoursTrue

Aside from your mere belief, what evidence do you have?

Do you think your bible-based, non-scientific belief is equivalent to evidence-backed hypotheses and such?
So are apes developing a writing system?

YoursTrue

The model is evolution. There is plentiful evidence that humans did evolve and also that human brains are not qualitatively different from similar animals'. If you want to posit a fundamental difference difference, it's up to you to provide evidence.

Humans are apes - and I have no idea what other apes wonder about - do you?
Perhaps there is an ape similar to the horse Mr. Ed that you can ask, and he can tell you.

gnostic

The Lost One
So are apes developing a writing system?
The answer is yes.

Humans are apes.

Mammals write too, because humans are mammals.

Of course, not all apes can write, not all mammals can write.

Vertebrae can write, because humans are vertebrae, but not all vertebrae can write.

And humans are tetrapods, because they have four limbs, just as all mammals and birds, some reptiles (exception being snakes) are tetrapods, but only humans can write.

What’s so wrong about humans being apes?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Are you sure that the thinking ability difference between apes and humans isn't that large? Really? Let's take dogs, for example. They come when you call them. Sometimes. So they obviously (back to Dawkins' hot sun illustration as proof again) understand certain actions. But they still haven't figured to read and write, have they?

Let's use correct terminology, other apes would be the proper thing to say since people are apes. For example chimpanzees outperform people when it comes to memory tests:

Chimps outperform humans at memory task

And yes, dogs are even less bright. Humans may be the brightest animals that exist, but they are not that far above our closest relatives.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
In reference to that point, it appears by observation and recognition of changing elements in the atmosphere, that it is possible that mankind may change forever in the way it has lived within the past several thousand years. Some environmentalists and others are getting rather concerned that cities by the sea will take a real hit due to rising waters. Smithsonian Institute just published some information about the bird population of North America is drastically reduced. Of course, birds don't read or write either, they don't tell humans what to do about their disappearance.
Death is always in the picture, such as drownings at sea and tsunamis, not welcomed by most. But, you might reason, who cares? That's the way it is. Do you reason that way, for instance, when a child, for instance, dies? Is that the way it is? Well -- someone might reason -- that's evolution, so why be bothered by it. It is, after all, just an inherited by virtue of genetic evolution, anxiety!

So people get scared and act irrationally at times and how is this an indication of superiority?

YoursTrue

The answer is yes.

Humans are apes.

Mammals write too, because humans are mammals.

Of course, not all apes can write, not all mammals can write.

Vertebrae can write, because humans are vertebrae, but not all vertebrae can write.

And humans are tetrapods, because they have four limbs, just as all mammals and birds, some reptiles (exception being snakes) are tetrapods, but only humans can write.

What’s so wrong about humans being apes?
Only humans can write. I suppose you imagine their evolved brain enables them to write and read and build rocket ships by necessity of genetic and humanevolution, while chimpanzees and other human relatives cannot, they are not evolved to wonder if there's life of the intelligent type out there in the universe. Gorilla type apes are happy eating and swinging from trees. Thank you so much. It's been helpful to see your way of reasoning.

YoursTrue

So people get scared and act irrationally at times and how is this an indication of superiority?
Who said anything about superiority? I said difference. Tell me, please, how it is irrational to wonder what happens when someone dies. After all, to be clear, you say it's part of necessary programmed evolution, don't you. Donkeys die. Gorillas die. Humans die. But again, only humans write books about life and death. And of course, we really don't want to forget about Mr Ed. Maybe he said something about it.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Who said anything about superiority? I said difference. Tell me, please, how it is irrational to wonder what happens when someone dies. After all, to be clear, you say it's part of necessary programmed evolution, don't you. Donkeys die. Gorillas die. Humans die. But again, only humans write books about life and death. And of course, we really don't want to forget about Mr Ed. Maybe he said something about it.

You are changing your claim. And yes, only people can write, so what?

YoursTrue

Let's use correct terminology, other apes would be the proper thing to say since people are apes. For example chimpanzees outperform people when it comes to memory tests:

Chimps outperform humans at memory task

And yes, dogs are even less bright. Humans may be the brightest animals that exist, but they are not that far above our closest relatives.
Humans have differing qualities than chimps. Chimpanzees can hang and swing from tree to tree. Humans are not so good at that. But chimpanzees can't build rocket ships. At least not yet as far as brain progress goes. Or here's another possibility: maybe they don't want to. Maybe in that respect they're smarter than rocket scientists.

YoursTrue

I don't recall saying humans are superior to chimpanzees or other animals that cannot write and read. Here's another suggestion. Maybe dogs, cats, gorillas, etc. don't want to write. Now there you go!!

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Humans have differing qualities than chimps. Chimpanzees can hang and swing from tree to tree. Humans are not so good at that. But chimpanzees can't build rocket ships. At least not yet as far as brain progress goes. Or here's another possibility: maybe they don't want to. Maybe in that respect they're smarter than rocket scientists.
Right, we evolved different traits. No sign of a God being involved.

gnostic

The Lost One
Only humans can write. I suppose you imagine their evolved brain enables them to write and read and build rocket ships by necessity of genetic and humanevolution, while chimpanzees and other human relatives cannot, they are not evolved to wonder if there's life of the intelligent type out there in the universe. Gorilla type apes are happy eating and swinging from trees. Thank you so much. It's been helpful to see your way of reasoning.

I have no problem with humans are the only animals that can write.

But humans are animals too. They are also apes, mammals, tetrapods and have vertebrae, and I have no problem with humans been categorized in each of them.

Are you saying humans are not mammals? Are we not animals?

Apes are not any single species, YoursTrue.

Apes, particularly “great apes” or its more scientific name, Hominidae, is a family of different subfamilies, genera and their respective species.

YoursTrue

So what? I love it. Yes, so what. So humans are known to think about death way before it happens. So humans have written about the history and thoughts, while chimpanzees and dogs have not. Yes, so what, you say. Yes, that's evolution, some say.

YoursTrue

Right, we evolved different traits. No sign of a God being involved.
Yes, there is. Animals do not leave written documents about their history or thoughts. They are not wondering if there is life evolving on other planets. Good night.

gnostic

The Lost One
So what? I love it. Yes, so what. So humans are known to think about death way before it happens. So humans have written about the history and thoughts, while chimpanzees and dogs have not. Yes, so what, you say. Yes, that's evolution, some say.

Evolution is about genetics and physical traits, and it is biology.

Writings are learned skills, which are not passed on genetically. You have to be educated, to learn how to read and write.

Writing isn’t evolution.

YoursTrue

I have no problem with humans are the only animals that can write.

But humans are animals too. They are also apes, mammals, tetrapods and have vertebrae, and I have no problem with humans been categorized in each of them.

Are you saying humans are not mammals? Are we not animals?

Apes are not any single species, YoursTrue.

Apes, particularly “great apes” or its more scientific name, Hominidae, is a family of different subfamilies, genera and their respective species.
None of those families other than homo sapiens so far have developed by genetic forces, the ability to build rocket ships.

gnostic

The Lost One
None of those families other than homo sapiens so far have developed by genetic forces, the ability to build rocket ships.
You didn’t answer my questions.

Are humans “mammals”?

Are humans “animals”?

The why can’t humans be “apes” too?

YoursTrue

Evolution is about genetics and physical traits, and it is biology.

Writings are learned skills, which are not passed on genetically. You have to be educated, to learn how to read and write.

Writing isn’t evolution.
You are saying that the unique ability of humans to read and write did not come about to humans and not birds, let's say, by means of evolution?

YoursTrue

You didn’t answer my questions.

Are humans “mammals”?

Are humans “animals”?

The why can’t humans be “apes” too?
Well answer this. Can dogs be humans? I know you classify these things by popular standards. Perhaps we can continue this scintillating discussion another time. Getting too late. Good night.