• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Even a moral person will go to Hell.

DeepShadow

White Crow
No matter if you absolutely hate God or not, spending eternity with Him would be infinitely better than being tortured day and night in a lake of fire, no?

C.S. Lewis didn't think so. In one of his early stories, he had a group of souls given the chance to leave Hell. With one exception, all of them decided to go back. Of course, C.S. Lewis didn't seem to think that Hell was a literal place of burning, either. "What is blazing fire to you is now cool light to him." Hmmmm...what you trying to say there, Clive?

Morm. 9: 4
4 Behold, I say unto you that ye would be more miserable to dwell with a holy and just God, under a consciousness of your filthiness before him, than ye would to dwell with the damned souls in hell.

Needless to say, I don't believe Hell will be a giant lava hot tub.:no:

DeepShadow

White Crow
I watched some of a Christian movie the other day. In it a character said something like this: "Even if a person lives a moral life, if he doesn't have Jesus in his life, you and I both know he will go to Hell when he dies."

Why is this and how is that fair?

It's not! Fortunately, not all Christians believe that.

JayHawes

When people dont like truth, they create myths, they twist the original, and create new scripture to fulfill their ideas of what something should really be like.

Hell is the place of souls, where they are kept until Judgement. In hell are many different places, some for angels, some for the OT Righteouss (now closed), and some for the evil. Not everyone will be burned in hell, different people suffer different ways. However when hell is turned over into the Lake of Fire everyone in it will burn.

jonny

When people dont like truth, they create myths, they twist the original, and create new scripture to fulfill their ideas of what something should really be like.

Hell is the place of souls, where they are kept until Judgement. In hell are many different places, some for angels, some for the OT Righteouss (now closed), and some for the evil. Not everyone will be burned in hell, different people suffer different ways. However when hell is turned over into the Lake of Fire everyone in it will burn.

What is the point of that? Will they burn for eternity or just as long as it takes for the fire to consume their bodies and leave them as a pile of ashes?

DeepShadow

White Crow

After an intro like that, I'd expect a claim backed up with scripture. Otherwise what do we have but another interpretation that goes beyond what the scripture says?

Papersock

Lucid Dreamer
After an intro like that, I'd expect a claim backed up with scripture. Otherwise what do we have but another interpretation that goes beyond what the scripture says?

Plus the scriptures could have been created by twisting a previous truth.

Maybe, I'm just sayin'...

JayHawes

What is the point of that? Will they burn for eternity or just as long as it takes for the fire to consume their bodies and leave them as a pile of ashes?

The people who enter hell will have eternal bodies, they will never die, and they will never turn to ashes. Whether or not you like the idea it's not up to man to try and re-write the bible so that he may save everyone from hell. Jesus came to save everyone from hell, if they choose to go there its their fault. God gives everyone a chance.

DeepShadow

White Crow
The people who enter hell will have eternal bodies, they will never die, and they will never turn to ashes. Whether or not you like the idea it's not up to man to try and re-write the bible so that he may save everyone from hell.

You think C.S. Lewis was trying to rewrite the Bible?

JayHawes

Jer 23:36

"... for ye have perverted the words of the living God, of the LORD of hosts our God"

The Prophecy of Revelation tells of hell, and the lake of fire (Revelation 20:14). For anyone to add too, or take away is sin.

Re 22:18

"For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book"

DeepShadow

White Crow

Yeah, I always wondered about those Narnia books.

Seriously, I'm sorry you got upset about my use of a BoM scripture, but now you're attacking an argument that neither I nor the scripture have made. If you have a problem with the LDS version of hell, start your own thread.

And now we could just as easily say that people with only one book have a tendency to look for everything in it, whether it's there or not. I applaud your filling in of gaps, but much of this is non-scriptural. For one thing, it says in Revelations that Death and Hell will be cast into the Lake of Fire. It says nothing about whether people will still be in it.

Azakel

Liebe ist für alle da
it's not up to man to try and re-write the bible so that he may save everyone from hell.

No but it seems that it's up to man to take believe and idea from religions 1000s of year before there and rewrite it to suit there own ends there.

JayHawes

Yeah, I always wondered about those Narnia books.

Seriously, I'm sorry you got upset about my use of a BoM scripture, but now you're attacking an argument that neither I nor the scripture have made. If you have a problem with the LDS version of hell, start your own thread.

And now we could just as easily say that people with only one book have a tendency to look for everything in it, whether it's there or not. I applaud your filling in of gaps, but much of this is non-scriptural. For one thing, it says in Revelations that Death and Hell will be cast into the Lake of Fire. It says nothing about whether people will still be in it.

Mt 25:46

And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

"...hell....the fire that never shall be quenched" Mark 9:43

"And beside all this, between us [ in paradise ] and you [in hell ] there is a great gulf fixed: so that they which would pass from hence to you cannot; neither can they pass to us, that would come from thence" Luke 16:26

DeepShadow

White Crow

And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

I totally agree. Does it say what manner of punishment?

"...hell....the fire that never shall be quenched" Mark 9:43

Again, true. Does it say there will be people in it all that time, that's the real question.

"And beside all this, between us [ in paradise ] and you [in hell ] there is a great gulf fixed: so that they which would pass from hence to you cannot; neither can they pass to us, that would come from thence" Luke 16:26

Okay, once again you appear to be rebutting a point that I haven't made. At least I assume so, because I agree with this, too.

I applaud you for filling in those gaps, Jay, I really do. But the bottom line is, these scriptures require interpretation to suit either of our arguments. That's what bothers me, that you appear to be saying you are allowed to interpret, but I'm not.

Darkness

Psychoanalyst/Marxist

A better translation:

Matthew 25:46 (Concordant Literal New Testament)
"And these shall be coming away into chastening eonian, yet the just into life eonian."

JayHawes

[/color][/size][/size][/font]

I totally agree. Does it say what manner of punishment?

Again, true. Does it say there will be people in it all that time, that's the real question.

Okay, once again you appear to be rebutting a point that I haven't made. At least I assume so, because I agree with this, too.

I applaud you for filling in those gaps, Jay, I really do. But the bottom line is, these scriptures require interpretation to suit either of our arguments. That's what bothers me, that you appear to be saying you are allowed to interpret, but I'm not.

You are allowed to interpret. But what i dont like is any extra-biblical teaching which IS NEVER TAUGHT BY ANY JEW OR CHRISTIAN, and never appears in the Bible ANYWHERE, to be presented as the true Christian doctrine. What I refer to is the Mormon teaching of the levels of Heaven.

I do not believe that everyone that goes away into everlasting punishment will burn (in hell). I guess you and I agree on that. However, they will endure an eternal punishment in hell. And after time has passed everyone in hell will be tossed into the Lake of fire, where everyone will burn in everlasting flames.