• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Eve and the Serpent - Jews and Christians

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
Yes, and the fact that it didn't lie is interesting. I doubt that it could lie.

At the very least, it shows that "truth" is not the same as "holy".
Just to mention though so I don't forget, what happened to Eve? Did she die?

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
That is perhaps why some things are called diabolical. (Twisted and viciously convoluted.) No one will convince me that the person behind the serpent did not know what he was doing. He knew, if he succeeded, that...ok I'll leave the answer to the question up to you...

Oh yes, I think it was intentionally diabolical. I agree very much.

Muffled

Jesus in me
First of all, that she would be "like God" doesn't mean that she could have the perception of good and bad as God does. She wanted to make her own decisions as to what was right and wrong, or good and evil. In that sense, she decided she didn't need God to tell her right from wrong. But she found out.
I believe it is insidious. once we know there is a wrong that can be done we can be tempted to do it. For instance realizing their nakedness they realized they could have sex outside of marriage and no doubt were tempted to do so and covered up the best they could to try to avoid the temptation.

Betho_br

Eve was created after Adam received God's instructions regarding the trees in the Garden of Eden. The exact way in which Adam conveyed these orders to Eve is not explicitly detailed in the Bible. Eve made a mistake by engaging in a theological discussion with the serpent about a commandment she hadn't directly heard from God. Furthermore, she mistakenly asserted that she couldn't eat from the tree in the middle of the garden when, in fact, that tree was the Tree of Life, and God hadn't forbidden its fruit. She also added that she couldn't even touch the tree, even though God had not mentioned this restriction to Adam.

After this dialogue, when Eve encountered the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil, she may have erroneously believed that she was free to eat from it because she thought the forbidden tree was the one in the middle of the garden. This is why the Scriptures state that Eve was deceived; she had mentally switched the positions of the trees.

Eli G

Again:

That does not follow from the biblical account. On the contrary, Eve knew from the beginning that THAT ONE and no other, was the tree whose fruit was forbidden even to touch. She was considering eating it for some time, until she ate it, and then she gave it to her husband to eat, and he willingly ate it.

Eve was deceived when Satan, like a ventriloquist, insisted that there was nothing wrong with eating it, and insinuated that God was lying, and forbidding them something that would benefit them.

Gen. 3:1 Now the serpent was the most cautious of all the wild animals of the field that Jehovah God had made. So it said to the woman:
“Did God really say that you must not eat from every tree of the garden?”
2 At this the woman said to the serpent:
“We may eat of the fruit of the trees of the garden. 3 But God has said about the fruit of the tree that is in the middle of the garden: ‘You must not eat from it, no, you must not touch it; otherwise you will die.’”
4 At this the serpent said to the woman:
“You certainly will not die. 5 For God knows that in the very day you eat from it, your eyes will be opened and you will be like God, knowing good and bad.”
6 Consequently, the woman saw that the tree was good for food and that it was something desirable to the eyes, yes, the tree was pleasing to look at. So she began taking of its fruit and eating it. Afterward, she also gave some to her husband when he was with her, and he began eating it.

Would God give a command so serious that it would involve the future of his creation, without giving specific and clear details about what was prohibited?