• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ethics Question: You're a gladiator forced to fight or die

Do you fight or die?

• I would fight. I value my life and my life is worth saving!

Votes: 14 82.4%
  • I would die. My life is worth so much to me that I will die rather than tarnish my integrity!

Votes: 4 23.5%

• Total voters

74x12

So you're a gladiator in the Coliseum and you either fight or die. Do you kill the other gladiator who is also forced to fight or just let them kill you? Die a martyr. Refuse to compromise your belief in freedom and not murdering anyone.

Both ways you think your life is worth something. But who is right? Is your life worth more because you're willing to give it up or is it worth more because you value it enough to save it?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I have no desire to be a gladiator, nor to be in a coliseum. Why am I here?

Please give me a premise.

74x12

I have no desire to be a gladiator, nor to be in a coliseum. Why am I here?

Please give me a premise.
Well you're forced into it. Hypothetically of course. You have no choice. Perhaps you were taken captive in war and noted to be a good fighter. So they Romans decided you should be a gladiator. However you don't believe in murder or I assume so anyway.

But you're free to answer any way you see fit; just as long it's true to your own sense of ethics.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
So you're a gladiator in the Coliseum and you either fight or die. Do you kill the other gladiator who is also forced to fight or just let them kill you? Die a martyr. Refuse to compromise your belief in freedom and not murdering anyone.

Both ways you think your life is worth something. But who is right? Is your life worth more because you're willing to give it up or is it worth more because you value it enough to save it?

My life is worth more enough to save it

David T

Premium Member
Off topic. I inadvertantly called you a bible. Thumper the other day but as i was editing it because i was a moron and posted it before i re read it you answered as i was editing it!!!!! No i didnt mean you so i appolfize profusely that i posted it unedited lile that. No you are not a bible thumper and my editing made that clear.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
There really is no difference based on the options you offer. I would rather fight then die a slow agonizing death.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I refuse to be conscripted into service, especially in taking another life I cannot personally determine guilt. Be that for entertainment or wartime. I would choose to not fight. That doesn't mean I choose to die, that's just the justification others use to kill you. (*cough*'you choose hell'*cough*)

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
The question is basically the same one faced by many combat soldiers in history -- especially if they were conscripts. You're drafted, you go off to fight a war, you don't really care what the politics of the war are, who is the good guy, who is the bad guy -- you just fight (if you fight) for your survival and the survival of your friends. Roughly the same as being forced into a gladiatorial combat.

74x12

I refuse to be conscripted into service, especially in taking another life I cannot personally determine guilt. Be that for entertainment or wartime. I would choose to not fight. That doesn't mean I choose to die, that's just the justification others use to kill you. (*cough*'you choose hell'*cough*)
The first idealist to answer? :p Good for you! IMO the idealist perspective is that their life is not just about existing but has deeper meaning or purpose. Therefore to compromise is to lessen the worth of their life.

In other words life is not just existing but about the story. The idealist feels the need to get the story of their life right.

Unfortunately the idealist can take it very hard when they seem to fail themselves.

I don't think I get the allusion to choosing hell however.

74x12

The question is basically the same one faced by many combat soldiers in history -- especially if they were conscripts. You're drafted, you go off to fight a war, you don't really care what the politics of the war are, who is the good guy, who is the bad guy -- you just fight (if you fight) for your survival and the survival of your friends. Roughly the same as being forced into a gladiatorial combat.
Yes, with the added dynamic of worrying about your friends. Very interesting dilemma.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
The first idealist to answer? :p Good for you! IMO the idealist perspective is that their life is not just about existing but has deeper meaning or purpose. Therefore to compromise is to lessen the worth of their life.

In other words life is not just existing but about the story. The idealist feels the need to get the story of their life right.

Unfortunately the idealist can take it very hard when they seem to fail themselves.

I don't think I get the allusion to choosing hell however.
I am not sure I'd call myself an idealist, since I'm a little more on the nihilist perspective. But I do have a personal code which I hold myself to.

74x12

Off topic. I inadvertantly called you a bible. Thumper the other day but as i was editing it because i was a moron and posted it before i re read it you answered as i was editing it!!!!! No i didnt mean you so i appolfize profusely that i posted it unedited lile that. No you are not a bible thumper and my editing made that clear.
No worries. Mistakes happen and I have a thick skin anyway; especially on the internet. And some would call me a Bible thumper. Although I generally don't aggressively impose my beliefs on others. Yet, I do talk about the Bible often enough and defend it.

I consider you as eccentric; yet intelligent. Anyway, I also apologize if you found my jokes about nature and rabbits offensive. I hope not! Because I meant it in a light hearted way.

nPeace

Veteran Member

I take the side of MJ. I'm a lover not a fighter. :D

74x12

My life is worth more enough to save it
Indeed! :D
There really is no difference based on the options you offer. I would rather fight then die a slow agonizing death.
I see both sides. Things to think about. *If someone chose to die.* The other person is likely going to kill you without even a qualm. In fact they'll probably do it gladly or at least with a sigh of relief because they know they'll live another day in consequence. They may even be rewarded for being the winner.

What happens if both choose not to fight eachother? Are they both killed?

Id have to know that before i decide what id do in the situation.

nPeace

Veteran Member
I think there are many people who would not be able to fight for many reasons. One is the thought that when you bloody your hands by taking another's life, taking another one will come easy, and justifying it will be easier.

74x12

What happens if both choose not to fight eachother? Are they both killed?
Knowing the Romans; it's a very good guess. Although I can't say for certain. They'd possibly ask you to kindly surrender your weapons so the lions could have lunch without having to deal with those pointy things. :p