• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESP, really?

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
As a 72 year old-- er, I mean a 72 year mature man-- I never believed in ESP, or whatever one may call it, until within the last two years when some things have happened that I simply cannot explain in any way, including coincidence. It's a long story that I'll spare yas, but something has been happening that's just totally mind-boggling to me that involves my wife, an old girlfriend that I haven't seen in five decades, and I. Besides that, it even more often just involves my wife and I, and this happens almost daily, and coincidence just simply cannot explain most of it.

CogentPhilosopher

Philosophy Student
As a 72 year old-- er, I mean a 72 year mature man-- I never believed in ESP, or whatever one may call it, until within the last two years when some things have happened that I simply cannot explain in any way, including coincidence. It's a long story that I'll spare yas, but something has been happening that's just totally mind-boggling to me that involves my wife, an old girlfriend that I haven't seen in five decades, and I. Besides that, it even more often just involves my wife and I, and this happens almost daily, and coincidence just simply cannot explain most of it.

So you have evidence for ESP....but you won't share it?

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
So you have evidence for ESP....but you won't share it?
Because it is virtually unverifiable using any objective standard that I can think of. When certain events happened starting back about three years ago, I thought it was just coincidence, but the pattern kept happening again and again and...

Trust me, I don't pretend to understand it, and at first I even questioned my own sanity, but it keeps on happening with no logical explanation that I can come up with.

However, in regards to your question, do you want to hear the story so you can decide for yourself? Is that what your question is really asking? I'm gonna be outta here shortly, but if that's what you want, I can deal with it tomorrow as it does take some time to explain.

CogentPhilosopher

Philosophy Student
Because it is virtually unverifiable using any objective standard that I can think of. When certain events happened starting back about three years ago, I thought it was just coincidence, but the pattern kept happening again and again and...

Trust me, I don't pretend to understand it, and at first I even questioned my own sanity, but it keeps on happening with no logical explanation that I can come up with.

However, in regards to your question, do you want to hear the story so you can decide for yourself? Is that what your question is really asking? I'm gonna be outta here shortly, but if that's what you want, I can deal with it tomorrow as it does take some time to explain.

Well you said that your story could not possibly be coincidence so it cannot just be patterns and if it's not objectively verifiable I am not going to believe it.

That being said, go ahead and tell it to me if you feel like it.

Jonathan Ainsley Bain

Logical Positivist
Only in the cases were sight offers zero advantage-- i.e. where there is absolute darkness for millions of generations.

Even plants-- lowly plants-- have light-sensors. "sight" if you will, amply good enough for the plants in question.

So your comment is false.
Perhaps you need to go back and look at the word "illogical" again? Or, even better-- look up "logical" instead...

I have been writing computer software professionally for more than 30 years using real logic.

I will reiterate: it is illogical to conclude that if ESP exists, then it would be pervasive,
because not all features of living beings are pervasive. Life itself is not even pervasive.

Nous

Premium Member
I will reiterate: it is illogical to conclude that if ESP exists, then it would be pervasive,
because not all features of living beings are pervasive.
Yeah, it doesn't make any sense. Different species have all manner of different senses, including differing acuity of the same senses.

Bob the Unbeliever

I have been writing computer software professionally for more than 30 years using real logic.

because not all features of living beings are pervasive. Life itself is not even pervasive.

What? Your claim that ESP is so rare it's not common-- yet, the advantage of ESP to even a herbivore cannot be overstated.

And we can easily demonstrate that even trait with no more than 0.01% advantage, will spread through a population within a couple-- 3 or 4 at most-- generations, becoming dominant.

You may have written dry "software" but you show you have zero understanding of statistics. Don't fret--- most people don't understand it.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Or how about this one: Why do you never see Faith Healers at actual hospitals?
Goodness, I LOVE this. After all, if you're a dedicated faith healer, where are you going to find the most people to help? Hospitals (it's where the sick go, after all)!

But of course, there's a tremendous downside, in that all those sick people in the hospital are wired up to machines or being monitored by professionals who would be able to tell instantly whether they'd been "healed" or not. I've never, ever heard of the faith healer willing to risk that! :rolleyes: