• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Erasing the Wealth of African Americans

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
???? I asked you what (or when) you mean by the term "to begin with". I don't have a clue how your response is supposed to answer the question.

Erase:

7. to give way to effacement readily or easily.
8. to obliterate characters, letters, markings, etc., from something.​

"Erasing" is merely a term I used in the thread title only in order to avoid repeating the title of topic study. The authors of the study did not use "erase" in any form at any point. It's a cross-sectional study. It certainly does not imply that property values do not change over time.
OK.
I inferred the wrong thing.
But I don't see a problem.
Poor people buy low value homes.
That seems natural & fair.
What would you have anyone do about valuation?
What consequences would you expect?

Nous

Premium Member
An over-valued home means one is paying higher real estate
taxes than one should also. I've spent tens of thousands fighting
illegally high appraisals. Be careful what you wish for.
No one has wished for an "over-valued home".

What would you change in the real estate appraisal process...
....for both licensed appraisers & for government appraisers?
Perhaps there should be standardized criteria for appraising real estate, such as those factors the study used in comparing property values. Perhaps there are also other ways to prevent devaluing the property values in majority-Black neighborhoods.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Perhaps there should be standardized criteria for appraising real estate, such as those factors the study used in comparing property values. Perhaps there are also other ways to prevent devaluing the property values in majority-Black neighborhoods.
There already are very strict standards for appraising real estate.
This occurred way back after the S&L crisis, when it was discovered
that appraisers were juicing up values so that buyers could qualify
for larger loans.
The question is....how would you change the appraisal process,
which is all about comparable sales?

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
No one has wished for an "over-valued home".

Are you seriously suggestion something like affirmative action be applied to real estate? Hmmmm. Better yet, we could calibrate land/housing prices on Intersectionality group oppression points.

Nous

Premium Member
Are you seriously suggestion something like affirmative action be applied to real estate?
What are you calling "affirmative action"? The factors used in the study to try to account for the differences in home values do not resemble anything related to any method of "affirmative action" as far as I am aware of that term.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
What are you calling "affirmative action"? The factors used in the study to try to account for the differences in home values do not resemble anything related to any method of "affirmative action" as far as I am aware of that term.
No, silly, as a solution to this perceived problem, in that we give preferential treatment/rates to disenfranchised owners due to their location/race/circumstance.

Nous

Premium Member
No, silly, as a solution to this perceived problem, in that we give preferential treatment/rates to disenfranchised owners due to their location/race/circumstance.
You don't see anything about giving "preferential treatment/rates to disenfranchised [?] owners due to their" race or circumstance in those factors the study used to try to account for the discrepancy between home values, do you?

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
You don't see anything about giving "preferential treatment/rates to disenfranchised [?] owners due to their" race or circumstance in those factors the study used to try to account for the discrepancy between home values, do you?
I'm way passed that. I'm at how to we correct this disparity. I'm not questioning the study - at all.

Nous

Premium Member
I'm way passed that. I'm at how to we correct this disparity. I'm not questioning the study - at all.
Well, all I said was: "Perhaps there should be standardized criteria for appraising real estate, such as those factors the study used in comparing property values. Perhaps there are also other ways to prevent devaluing the property values in majority-Black neighborhoods." That's nothing like "giving preferential treatment/rates to owners" on the basis of race or circumstance.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
So you have no problem with inclusion of criteria "such as those factors the study used in comparing property values"?
Without re-examining them all, no.
But they just don't relate to the present passing verb, "erasing".

This is a pretty arcane argument.
Are you trying to derail your own thread?

Nous

Premium Member
Without re-examining them all, no.
But they just don't relate to the present passing verb, "erasing".

This is a pretty arcane argument.
Are you trying to derail your own thread?

It's about "erasing".
?????

So your whole issue here is about my offhand use of the word "erasing" in the title????? If I had just used the title of the report for the title of thread (which is what I started to do), what would you say about the findings of the study?

Koldo

Outstanding Member
According to a study conducted by Andre Perry, Jonathan Rothwell and David Harshbarger for the Brookings Institute, homes in majority-Black neighborhoods are valued at about half the price as comparable homes in neighborhoods with no Black homeowners. Differences in the structural features of the properties and neighborhood characteristics--such as higher crime rates, longer commute times, less access to desirable schools, and fewer well-rated restaurants--account for only about half of the undervaluation of homes in Black neighborhoods. Overall, owner-occupied homes in majority-Black neighborhoods are undervalued by $48,000 per home on average, amounting to $156 billion in lost wealth for these families--most of whom are Black.

As the report notes, this diminution of property values results in lower wealth accumulation for homeowners in these neighborhoods, which creates a self-perpetuating cycle where it is then more difficult for these property owners to start businesses, afford college tuition for their children, etc., etc.

Read the report: The Devaluation of Assets in Black Neighborhoods

(Like I was, you will probably be surprised by some of the metro areas with the most devalued homes in Black neighborhoods, as well as some of the cities with the least devalued homes.)

This is a very sad problem, an otherwise invisible but quite destructive privation inflicted upon African Americans. So what is the solution to this problem?

I am not sure I understand the problem. Do you mean those houses have been losing value over time ? Do you mean that if a black couple had bought their house 20 years ago they would have pretty much necessarily lost some money compared to a white couple buying a house anywhere else ? Or have the prices always been lower, and if so how is it a problem ?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
?????

So your whole issue here is about my offhand use of the word "erasing" in the title????? If I had just used the title of the report for the title of thread (which is what I started to do), what would you say about the findings of the study?
The issue has been explored all that is needed.

Nous

Premium Member
The issue has been explored all that is needed.
So you don't have any substantive critique of the findings of the study?

And you don't have any problem with my suggestion for standards that would presumably prevent the devaluation of properties in Black neighborhoods?