• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Enough To Make Fair-Minded Christians Sick To Their Stomachs

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
Okay, so you're not going to answer my questions either. You need to be reminded what they are, again. Dude, all you need to do is scroll up a little bit - they were in my last post to you (hint: it's the one you just responded to).

So all I can conclude at this point (since you refuse to articulate what you think is so rude), is that you apparently believe that unless I am agreeing with you, and if I question your assertions, then I am being rude. On a debate forum.
Sorry, but I don't agree that it's rude to do what is supposed to be done on a debate forum. If you think it's rude to question someone's assertions, perhaps it is not the best place for you.

So here we are again, taken completely off topic, discussing your personal feelings about rudeness instead of the thread topic. Again.

I get tired of people trimming my remarks. If you're going to not quote me (and you), don't expect me to go back through threads on a search--at this point, we've been discussing your [alleged] rudeness for more than a week.

Either ask a question(s) and I will promptly, directly answer them, or don't.

You seem cocksure about your skepticism, so why are you asking me any questions at all?

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
This is all mostly correct, if I am being completely honest. But you forgot the reason that I am "immune," because that is important. Complete lack of compelling evidence. Rectify that lack, and there will be no reason for me to have to be so "open-minded" in order to accept your no-better-than-fiction tales, right?

I truly believe that you are using the term "open-minded" as a euphemism for "gullible" or "credulous." And in that light, being "open-minded" is definitely not something to be proud of.

I'm using "open-minded" as a cognate for "not wasting time just attacking all gods, but actually asking questions".

A Vestigial Mote

I'm using "open-minded" as a cognate for "not wasting time just attacking all gods, but actually asking questions".
And that would make sense if you were talking to someone who hadn't already asked a whopping ton of questions and found any and all answers entirely lacking, and then entirely repetitive as time marches on and the same questions are put to different people, who then have the same, or same types of answers. It gets to a point where you sort of just decide to reject all propositions of gods out-of-hand until someone can come forward with something truly compelling or undeniable.

I feel that one of the saddest facts is that theists tend to think they already have that "undeniable" aspect in-hand with their apologetics (i.e. excuses) and philosophical mind-games, when that couldn't be further from true.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
I get tired of people trimming my remarks. If you're going to not quote me (and you), don't expect me to go back through threads on a search--at this point, we've been discussing your [alleged] rudeness for more than a week.

Either ask a question(s) and I will promptly, directly answer them, or don't.

You seem cocksure about your skepticism, so why are you asking me any questions at all?

I haven't trimmed your remarks at all. I've quoted them in their entirety, so I'm not sure what you're talking about.

I did ask you a question, which you did not promptly answer, even though you did respond to the post. Why should I have to repeat a question that you just ignored? It's not like it's back on page 1 or something. It always goes this way with you, for some reason. If you'd answer the question the first time around, we wouldn't have to do this.

Being a skeptic doesn’t mean I am “cocksure” about everything; it simply means that I question claims that are lacking in evidence. I’m not sure how you haven’t noticed by now, but what I am interested in is evidence for the claims being made. Otherwise, I see no reason to accept them.

Let’s be clear here, the reason we are talking about my [alleged] rudeness is because you keep trying to tell me I’m being rude, without ever explaining how or why. I didn’t want to go off on this tangent but you took us here, as you so often do during these discussions. I’m more than happy to get back to the thread topic.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
And that would make sense if you were talking to someone who hadn't already asked a whopping ton of questions and found any and all answers entirely lacking, and then entirely repetitive as time marches on and the same questions are put to different people, who then have the same, or same types of answers. It gets to a point where you sort of just decide to reject all propositions of gods out-of-hand until someone can come forward with something truly compelling or undeniable.

I feel that one of the saddest facts is that theists tend to think they already have that "undeniable" aspect in-hand with their apologetics (i.e. excuses) and philosophical mind-games, when that couldn't be further from true.

Although I pride myself in coming up with new apologetics approaches, no Christian apologetics are "undeniable" as you wrote. You have free will.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
I haven't trimmed your remarks at all. I've quoted them in their entirety, so I'm not sure what you're talking about.

I did ask you a question, which you did not promptly answer, even though you did respond to the post. Why should I have to repeat a question that you just ignored? It's not like it's back on page 1 or something. It always goes this way with you, for some reason. If you'd answer the question the first time around, we wouldn't have to do this.

Being a skeptic doesn’t mean I am “cocksure” about everything; it simply means that I question claims that are lacking in evidence. I’m not sure how you haven’t noticed by now, but what I am interested in is evidence for the claims being made. Otherwise, I see no reason to accept them.

Let’s be clear here, the reason we are talking about my [alleged] rudeness is because you keep trying to tell me I’m being rude, without ever explaining how or why. I didn’t want to go off on this tangent but you took us here, as you so often do during these discussions. I’m more than happy to get back to the thread topic.

Yes, let's--go ahead and ask your question(s). I'm here.

A Vestigial Mote

Although I pride myself in coming up with new apologetics approaches, no Christian apologetics are "undeniable" as you wrote. You have free will.
The "you have free will" part is just a cop-out. A simple thought-experiment scenario exposes it as such.

Let's say we're face-to-face, and I ask you how many fingers I have on my right hand. You count them, and answer "five." I go on to deny this and say it is six. You then recount, just to be sure, hold my hand in front of my face while doing so, and then declare again that the count is "five." I go on to give you justifications as to why it is six, but this doesn't change the fact that it is, in reality, "five", and I am simply engaged in denying this. What do you think of me? Your thoughts don't end at "Well, he has free-will, and so I will grant him that he believes the answer to be 6, but otherwise, he's a stand-up guy!" No - you make a judgment about me, understanding that I am likely delusional, and that I cannot be trusted to relay information accurately or honestly.

And this is where we are at. "God's" existence being a much more amorphous and complicated endeavor to wrap our minds around, we can't necessarily just conclude that the other is delusional, but we also don't just wave away what we see as their mistakes by saying it is just a product of "free will." We're going to catalog that person's denial of what we see as plain by our eyes as a mistake and error, and a flaw in their character or intellectual fortitude. The main difference between us after all that is that at least I am honest with myself and others that this is what I am doing.

Neutral Name

To say nothing of non-Christians.

"One of the best things about Christians breaking the law and promoting their religion in public schools is that they can’t stop publicly bragging about it, making it easier to stop.

A couple of weeks ago, the Pulaski County Schools in Kentucky invited Michelle Cooper of the AIM Pregnancy Support Center to speak with 8th grade health classes at Northern and Southern middle schools all about “sex, STDs and abortion.”

The problem is that AIM is a Christian organization. And even though Cooper is listed on the group’s website as a “Medical Team Supervisor,” she has no medical training. And she freely boasted about how she “was FREE to talk about how amazing God is! Minds were changed today concerning abortion!!!!”

AIMMedicalNotReally1.png

AIMMedicalNotReally2.png

Now the Freedom From Religion Foundation is calling for more details about why this partnership occurred and demanding the District put a stop to it. No students should be taught about health education from an unlicensed ministry leader with no qualifications and a very clear right-wing agenda.

Inviting a self-described Christian ministry to hijack public school health classes in furtherance of its evangelistic agenda is not only a grave injury to your students’ education, but a plain violation of the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment,” [FFRF Legal Fellow Colin] McNamara wrote to Superintendent Patrick Richardson.

FFRF also pointed out the troubling history of crisis pregnancy centers commandeering public schools to proselytize to students and the constitutional concerns with such tactics.
“Public schools exist to educate; CPCs like AIM exist to indoctrinate — by AIM’s own admission, they did not come to the district’s middle schools to teach sex education, but so that ‘minds would be changed concerning abortion,’” McNamara added. “The district can play no part in helping a private religious organization gain access to other people’s children to further their evangelism.”

Finally, FFRF addresses the danger that results from denying students comprehensive, science-based sex education in favor of widely discredited religious rhetoric.

“It is wildly irresponsible for these public schools to allow members of a faith-based anti-abortion ministry access to impressionable students,” said FFRF Co-President Annie Laurie Gaylor. “This infiltration of church dogma into Kentucky classrooms senselessly endangers the health of students and must stop.”

Incidentally, AIM isn’t even a healthcare provider. They offer pregnancy tests, ultrasounds, and a Bible Study. No medical professionals work there. Their stated goal is to offer “the gospel of Jesus Christ in both word and deed to men and women dealing with pregnancy.”
source

Q.
Is it really Christian to misrepresent oneself and dupe others so as to illegally push an agenda?

Wow!

Leviticus 19:11
11 “ ‘Do not steal. “ ‘Do not lie. “ ‘Do not deceive one another.

Proverbs 12:22
22 The LORD detests lying lips, but he delights in people who are trustworthy.

Proverbs 13:5
5 The godly hate lies; the wicked cause shame and disgrace.

John 8:44
44 You belong to your father, the devil, and you want to carry out your father’s desires. He was a murderer from the beginning, not holding to the truth, for there is no truth in him.
When he lies, he speaks his native language, for he is a liar and the father of lies.

Revelation 22:15
15 Outside are the dogs, those who practice magic arts, the sexually immoral, the murderers, the idolaters and everyone who loves and practices falsehood.

Just another fine example of a good "Christian" versus a good Christian. I'm sure that Jesus is so proud of her, not.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
The "you have free will" part is just a cop-out. A simple thought-experiment scenario exposes it as such.

Let's say we're face-to-face, and I ask you how many fingers I have on my right hand. You count them, and answer "five." I go on to deny this and say it is six. You then recount, just to be sure, hold my hand in front of my face while doing so, and then declare again that the count is "five." I go on to give you justifications as to why it is six, but this doesn't change the fact that it is, in reality, "five", and I am simply engaged in denying this. What do you think of me? Your thoughts don't end at "Well, he has free-will, and so I will grant him that he believes the answer to be 6, but otherwise, he's a stand-up guy!" No - you make a judgment about me, understanding that I am likely delusional, and that I cannot be trusted to relay information accurately or honestly.

And this is where we are at. "God's" existence being a much more amorphous and complicated endeavor to wrap our minds around, we can't necessarily just conclude that the other is delusional, but we also don't just wave away what we see as their mistakes by saying it is just a product of "free will." We're going to catalog that person's denial of what we see as plain by our eyes as a mistake and error, and a flaw in their character or intellectual fortitude. The main difference between us after all that is that at least I am honest with myself and others that this is what I am doing.

I agree that free will cannot be used to make objective truth, subjectively true or false. I agree 100%.

The Bible teaches that every person will receive truth to make a decision regarding Jesus, but also, that you have free will to deny such evidence, that is, you can call five "six" while I call it "five" and "call upon the Name of the Lord to be saved".

A Vestigial Mote

I agree that free will cannot be used to make objective truth, subjectively true or false. I agree 100%.

The Bible teaches that every person will receive truth to make a decision regarding Jesus, but also, that you have free will to deny such evidence, that is, you can call five "six" while I call it "five" and "call upon the Name of the Lord to be saved".
And I will continue to be of the opinion that you are the one counting 5 things and calling them 6. And I base this on the evidence that is available, which does not include signs of your god - though you seem to think of Him as entirely necessary and obvious.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
And I will continue to be of the opinion that you are the one counting 5 things and calling them 6. And I base this on the evidence that is available, which does not include signs of your god - though you seem to think of Him as entirely necessary and obvious.

Are your experiences the sole valid ones? I have an experience(s) of God, and I responded to these experiences by trusting God. I'm not criticizing you if you're yet to encounter God.

As a bonus, I have verified the Bible using evidence outside the Bible. You can go through that process and speed up encountering God...

A Vestigial Mote

Are your experiences the sole valid ones?
Subjectively, I only have my own experiences to react to. This is true of everyone. As you hint at in the rest of your reply, I can understand and empathize with others as regards their experiences, but in the end, I am left with my own alone, and having to vet anything anyone else tells me by trying to experience or verify their words for myself, or take stock of the validity of their point of view as pertains to evidence or comport with reality.

I have an experience(s) of God, and I responded to these experiences by trusting God.
Good for you, I guess?

I'm not criticizing you if you're yet to encounter God.
Have never "encountered God" (whatever that would mean), and highly doubt this will ever happen. And because "encountering God" is not really well defined or described, I wouldn't necessarily even know it had happened, would I? What do I compare the experience against in order to understand what had happened?

As a bonus, I have verified the Bible using evidence outside the Bible. You can go through that process and speed up encountering God...
I would be interested to know what evidence outside The Bible you feel wholly "verifies" The Bible. Every time I have heard this claim (and I have heard it plenty of times), I am entirely disappointed by the caliber of the "evidence" presented.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
Subjectively, I only have my own experiences to react to. This is true of everyone. As you hint at in the rest of your reply, I can understand and empathize with others as regards their experiences, but in the end, I am left with my own alone, and having to vet anything anyone else tells me by trying to experience or verify their words for myself, or take stock of the validity of their point of view as pertains to evidence or comport with reality.

Good for you, I guess?

Have never "encountered God" (whatever that would mean), and highly doubt this will ever happen. And because "encountering God" is not really well defined or described, I wouldn't necessarily even know it had happened, would I? What do I compare the experience against in order to understand what had happened?

I would be interested to know what evidence outside The Bible you feel wholly "verifies" The Bible. Every time I have heard this claim (and I have heard it plenty of times), I am entirely disappointed by the caliber of the "evidence" presented.

Evidence for the Bible is discerned in biology, life changes, teleology, logic, cosmology, anthropology...

· Do you exist? Do you believe you had a finite, definite beginning (a birth you don’t personally recall) because of eyewitness testimony and written testimony? Do you understand the Bible is eyewitness and written testimony?

· What evidence would you need to prove that God exists, bearing in mind that to you, it is internally evident that you exist, and to me, it is internally evident that God exists?

· There’s plenty of evidence for, none against. Atheism is a willful, not an informed, decision.

A Vestigial Mote

Evidence for the Bible is discerned in biology, life changes, teleology, logic, cosmology, anthropology...
None of that "evidence" is sufficient. None of it would hold up in court for a second. Nor can it be shown that ANY of that "evidence" is intrinsically tied to "The Bible" nor to "God." You can't demonstrate any actual linkage. You simply can't. All you have are thought-experiments or philosophical exercises. None of which is empirical.

Do you exist? Do you believe you had a finite, definite beginning (a birth you don’t personally recall) because of eyewitness testimony and written testimony?
Not only eye-witness testimony, and this is key - I can see and experience the process of a human being's conception and birth myself - which is a huge piece of evidence that indicates that all the people around me aren't just lying through their teeth when they tell tales of my conception and birth. You don't have anything like this to offer to anyone, regarding evidence for God's existence.

Do you understand the Bible is eyewitness and written testimony?
As stated above, it is not of the caliber of my birth story and being able to witness the process myself - after that initial, ancient eye-witness testimony we get NOTHING. Nada. Zip. Zilch.

What evidence would you need to prove that God exists, bearing in mind that to you, it is internally evident that you exist, and to me, it is internally evident that God exists?
The part in red above in your quote doesn't matter one bit. I don't care what is "internally evident" to you. I don't. If you come running by me on the street and say quickly that aliens are invading, but everyone else around us appears to be behaving normally, I'm going to look into the situation a bit more before I throw my hands into the air and run with you screaming about the end of the world.

As far as evidence I might need to "prove that God exists" - it doesn't work this way. I am not going to go out looking for evidence of something that doesn't even appear to present itself in reality. That would be foolish. As foolish as making up a story about a fictitious/mythical creature and then going out looking for evidence of its existence. That is pure foolishness. The only situation that makes ANY sense is that I see something affecting my reality, I question the source, and upon investigation of the source I find "God." That's it. That is the only thing that makes any sense. And I'm not talking about finding something affecting my reality, and upon my investigations turning up no good answer, I then posit "God" as the cause. No. Not even close. Only idiots engage in that kind of tomfoolery. I would literally need to be able to assess "God," to the point that I could EASILY demonstrate its reality to others. Short of that, no dice.

There’s plenty of evidence for, none against. Atheism is a willful, not an informed, decision.
Again, nothing you would point to as evidence is intrinsically tied to "God." There is no demonstration in the wings for you that can show that God is indeed the cause of the "evidence" you would point to. To claim otherwise is to lie.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
None of that "evidence" is sufficient. None of it would hold up in court for a second. Nor can it be shown that ANY of that "evidence" is intrinsically tied to "The Bible" nor to "God." You can't demonstrate any actual linkage. You simply can't. All you have are thought-experiments or philosophical exercises. None of which is empirical.

Not only eye-witness testimony, and this is key - I can see and experience the process of a human being's conception and birth myself - which is a huge piece of evidence that indicates that all the people around me aren't just lying through their teeth when they tell tales of my conception and birth. You don't have anything like this to offer to anyone, regarding evidence for God's existence.

As stated above, it is not of the caliber of my birth story and being able to witness the process myself - after that initial, ancient eye-witness testimony we get NOTHING. Nada. Zip. Zilch.

The part in red above in your quote doesn't matter one bit. I don't care what is "internally evident" to you. I don't. If you come running by me on the street and say quickly that aliens are invading, but everyone else around us appears to be behaving normally, I'm going to look into the situation a bit more before I throw my hands into the air and run with you screaming about the end of the world.

As far as evidence I might need to "prove that God exists" - it doesn't work this way. I am not going to go out looking for evidence of something that doesn't even appear to present itself in reality. That would be foolish. As foolish as making up a story about a fictitious/mythical creature and then going out looking for evidence of its existence. That is pure foolishness. The only situation that makes ANY sense is that I see something affecting my reality, I question the source, and upon investigation of the source I find "God." That's it. That is the only thing that makes any sense. And I'm not talking about finding something affecting my reality, and upon my investigations turning up no good answer, I then posit "God" as the cause. No. Not even close. Only idiots engage in that kind of tomfoolery. I would literally need to be able to assess "God," to the point that I could EASILY demonstrate its reality to others. Short of that, no dice.

Again, nothing you would point to as evidence is intrinsically tied to "God." There is no demonstration in the wings for you that can show that God is indeed the cause of the "evidence" you would point to. To claim otherwise is to lie.

I can see and experience God for myself--my testimony to you. If you disagree, exactly how has science disproved the possibility of such supernatural events?

I also would ask you what evidence you would accept--as far as the jury testimony you mentioned.

A Vestigial Mote

I can see and experience God for myself--my testimony to you. If you disagree, exactly how has science disproved the possibility of such supernatural events?
Another mistake on your part. Science does not work to "disprove supernatural events." The practitioners of "science" observe events and then look for the best possible explanation and model that fits the evidence, observations and can be reliably reproduced or consistently measured. The fact that no one has verifiably found "the supernatural" in all this time isn't the fault of "science." It is far more likely the fault of there not being such a thing as "supernatural." If scientists were to observe events that were verifiably caused by beings from another realm, do you think that all "scientists" would work together to keep this a big secret? Honestly? You do realize that ANYONE can be a "scientist," right? How on Earth could you possibly expect that every person of every different type of disposition who wants to practice under the "scientific method" could all be in on a grand conspiracy? Do you think all prospective "scientists" take some kind of oath to not announce anything that "Science" wants to keep super-secret? Give me a break. You can't just say "Just because science can't prove it, doesn't make it fake." Because I can just as easily state "Just because science can't disprove it, doesn't make it real." Just because no one has disproved your wild guesses about something doesn't mean that your belief in that something is warranted. Once there's proper evidence and ability to demonstrate something, that's the time to believe, and even claim to know.

I also would ask you what evidence you would accept--as far as the jury testimony you mentioned.
If you're getting at "eye-witness" testimony, then there are certain rigors that must be applied to such to make it strong versus weak evidence. None of these rigors work in Christianity's favor, by way. For the evidence to be strong/compelling, eye-witness testimony...
1. ... between various witnesses needs to be consistent - Christianity fails here.
2. ... must be consistent from the same witness - I believe Christianity all too often fails here as well.
3. ... should be from a person who can be verified to have been at the scene by other independent parties - this is definitely not always the case within Christianity

All one has to do is search for something like "eyewitness testimony reliable" in Google to see thousands of articles come up - none of which that I saw state that "yes, eyewitness testimony is reliable." Instead you find facts like this:

Since the 1990s, when DNA testing was first introduced, Innocence Project researchers have reported that 73 percent of the 239 convictions overturned through DNA testing were based on eyewitness testimony. One third of these overturned cases rested on the testimony of two or more mistaken eyewitnesses.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
Another mistake on your part. Science does not work to "disprove supernatural events." The practitioners of "science" observe events and then look for the best possible explanation and model that fits the evidence, observations and can be reliably reproduced or consistently measured. The fact that no one has verifiably found "the supernatural" in all this time isn't the fault of "science." It is far more likely the fault of there not being such a thing as "supernatural." If scientists were to observe events that were verifiably caused by beings from another realm, do you think that all "scientists" would work together to keep this a big secret? Honestly? You do realize that ANYONE can be a "scientist," right? How on Earth could you possibly expect that every person of every different type of disposition who wants to practice under the "scientific method" could all be in on a grand conspiracy? Do you think all prospective "scientists" take some kind of oath to not announce anything that "Science" wants to keep super-secret? Give me a break. You can't just say "Just because science can't prove it, doesn't make it fake." Because I can just as easily state "Just because science can't disprove it, doesn't make it real." Just because no one has disproved your wild guesses about something doesn't mean that your belief in that something is warranted. Once there's proper evidence and ability to demonstrate something, that's the time to believe, and even claim to know.

If you're getting at "eye-witness" testimony, then there are certain rigors that must be applied to such to make it strong versus weak evidence. None of these rigors work in Christianity's favor, by way. For the evidence to be strong/compelling, eye-witness testimony...
1. ... between various witnesses needs to be consistent - Christianity fails here.
2. ... must be consistent from the same witness - I believe Christianity all too often fails here as well.
3. ... should be from a person who can be verified to have been at the scene by other independent parties - this is definitely not always the case within Christianity

All one has to do is search for something like "eyewitness testimony reliable" in Google to see thousands of articles come up - none of which that I saw state that "yes, eyewitness testimony is reliable." Instead you find facts like this:

Honestly, I know many scientists who believe God exists and the supernatural exists... so someone in academia must be "working to keep a secret" somewhere. Yes?

A Vestigial Mote

Honestly, I know many scientists who believe God exists and the supernatural exists... so someone in academia must be "working to keep a secret" somewhere. Yes?
Of course you would think this way. Of course. Ridiculous, and not even in the ballpark of "true." And this is why so many theists have a reputation for being dishonest, and emotionally driven, with nary a care for logic or soundness of argument.

Do those scientists who believe that God or the supernatural exist have evidence, measurements, observations, etc. that they would be willing to take to their scientist brethren as hypotheses for the existence of such? NO THEY DON'T.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
Of course you would think this way. Of course. Ridiculous, and not even in the ballpark of "true." And this is why so many theists have a reputation for being dishonest, and emotionally driven, with nary a care for logic or soundness of argument.

Do those scientists who believe that God or the supernatural exist have evidence, measurements, observations, etc. that they would be willing to take to their scientist brethren as hypotheses for the existence of such? NO THEY DON'T.

Are you prepared to stand by your universal statement in the light of what you know about academia, tenure, etc.?

A Vestigial Mote

Are you prepared to stand by your universal statement in the light of what you know about academia, tenure, etc.?
"Tenure?" Why do I get the feeling you're going to hit me with even more hardcore "conspiracy against the spiritual realm" talk?

Once again... ANYONE can conduct scientific experiments. Anyone. Are you seriously going to apply a universal statement yourself to the idea that NONE of those people are willing to expose any of their supernatural findings - as in, actually share it with people? Which, if it is compelling, and reproducible/reliable and can readily be digested by others, should be no problem. Are you saying that it is possible to scientifically study or empirically define/test/measure the "supernatural," and yet no one has gotten the word out? Because that's where we sit. There is nothing reliably detectable, readily measurable, etc. that has been communicated by ANYONE who purports to study the "supernatural." NOTHING. If there is, please share!