• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ends in 50 Years

Little Dragon

This is a fallen, sin cursed world and God’s plan isn’t to fix all the problems of sickness, violence, etc. Rather, to deliver people from this broken world to an eternal life free of sin and all its awful consequences.
Such a horrific narrative of surrender and hopelessness. Religion is the curse that infects this world. Among others. IMO anyway.

Little Dragon

Actually, sin is the curse that infects this world. The consequences are so obvious, how can you not see?
The concept of Sin is itself, extremely problematic. Since sin is whatever people want it to be. To suit their prejudices expectations and their fears.

Little Dragon

The consequences are so obvious, how can you not see?
This world is infected with way too much blind faith and not enough critical reflection. There's only one cure for that, and unfortunately the odds are stacked against us all. Since way too many people, have way too little interest in the universe and indeed world they live in. Which is considerably greater than the sum of their parochial experience and subjectivity. Knowledge is power. Knowledge will actually realistically set you free.

InChrist

Free4ever
This world is infected with way too much blind faith and not enough critical reflection. There's only one cure for that, and unfortunately the odds are stacked against us all. Since way too many people, have way too little interest in the universe and indeed world they live in. Which is considerably greater than the sum of their parochial experience and subjectivity. Knowledge is power. Knowledge will actually realistically set you free.
I agree knowledge sets one free. Don’t you think that an All-knowing, omnipresent, omnipotent Creator would be the ultimate Source of knowledge?

For the Lord gives wisdom; From His mouth come knowledge and understanding…
Proverbs 2:6

Dave Watchman

In the same sense that a light sabre is the
weapon of choice for Jedi.

Now you're speaking my language.

Jesus said buy a sword.

Sell your cloak, buy a sword.

"He said to them, “But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one.​

A sharp two edged sword. Piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart.

This is the way.

scale

Dave Watchman

The World as we know it ends in 50 years. Complete and total annihilation.

Or so some say.

If that's true, what do we/you do?
Give up? Go with the flow? Create Chaos?

The we/you do part sounds case specific, if the 50 years were true. If we had 50 years. I'm fairly sure we don't. Just how
I'm eyeballing the prophetic time periods, I think we're getting really close to seeing it happen. I'll be really surprised if I'm wrong. Like how new mothers call their babies a 7 month old, or 14 months old. Woe to pregnant women and to those who are nursing babies kind of thing

I think you did get the "complete and total annihilation", part right though.

Like the old bartender said at closing time: "you might not have to go Home, but you can't stay here".

Just sit back, watch it all unfold and, as you say, go with the flow.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
It is an absolute certainty that the earth will end some time. Either by the expanding dying sun or some other prior to that cosmic catastrophe.
This could be at any future time at all. A 50 year time gap from no is not impossible. It is just not more likely than any other possible time.

As such there is no reason for anyone to act any different to the way they are doing now.

It has been proposed many time that it is best to live as this is your last day.
However it it was certain that the world would end today or even this week or month, we would most likely act very differently.
If it were a 50 year certainty that would be equally true. And also as unpredictably.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
The World as we know it ends in 50 years. Complete and total annihilation.

Or so some say.

If that's true, what do we/you do?
Give up? Go with the flow? Create Chaos?

I thought the world was supposed to end in 2000. At least that's what Prince said in that song "1999." But then, nothing.

Then I heard a lot about 2012, when some people thought that was going to be the end. Still, nothing.

I would probably just go with the flow, especially if there's absolutely nothing anyone can do about it. If the end has to come, I just hope it's quick.

Dave Watchman

Uh oh. I think I figured it out. This is a joke thread. It's not supposed to be serious? Lol.

I wasn't looking. How I access this place is still broke from the changeover. I had bookmarked a thing called "trending topics". It's now an "OOPS we can't find that page" dead link.

I'm at: of all NON-Religious topics oNLY.

Everything But the Kitchen Sink For debate and discussion of all non-religious topics only​

Of all NON-Religious topics oNLY.

Little Dragon

Is not sin simply going against the will of your chosen deity?
Yes, but some proponents of the concept, seem to pick and choose what is and what is not a sin.

Wearing mixed fibres is forbidden, in the Bible, as is breeding different types of cattle, as is eating meat on the sabbath and many other things..which are ignored.
Yet other things, like men lying down with men, are hot topics and loudly proclaimed as an affront to their God thing. Why is that?

Dave Watchman

Yes, but some proponents of the concept, seem to pick and choose what is and what is not a sin.
The Biblical definition of sin is transgression of the law. Breaking what God says is the law.
"Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law. - 1 John 3:4​

Wearing mixed fibres is forbidden, in the Bible,
I knew that.
as is breeding different types of cattle
Didn't know that one, and I'm a Sabbath guy..
as is eating meat on the sabbath
I don't think so. It sounds like a Catholic thing, like fish on Fridays or pancake Tuesday.
nd many other things..which are ignored.
There was a bunch of things the Jews made up back in the day that were not in the Bible. Like how far you can walk on the Sabbath. A Sabbath Days journey.
Yet other things, like men lying down with men, are hot topics and loudly proclaimed as an affront to their God thing. Why is that?
That one's a biggie. There's little sins, like don't get tattoos, or pierce your body, and there's bigger ones like men lying down with men. In Leviticus that one is a handful of things God calls an Abomination.

"You shall not lie with a male as with a woman. It is an abomination. - Leviticus 18:22​

And then He goes on to warn about mating with animals and so defiling ourselves. And none of our women should have sex with animals. Then He says that by doing any of these things we would defile the land and then the land would vomit out it's inhabitants.

Then He talks about having to come and visit the land after it becomes defiled. And it's apparently not going to be a nice visit.

"For the land is defiled; therefore I visit the punishment of its iniquity upon it, and the land vomits out its inhabitants.​

It's always the same thing. Days of Noah, therefore I visit the punishment of its iniquity upon it. Days of Lot, therefore I visit the punishment of its iniquity upon it.

Days of Lot again, therefore I visit the punishment of its iniquity upon it.

Wash, rinse and repeat.

Little Dragon

That one's a biggie. There's little sins, like don't get tattoos, or pierce your body, and there's bigger ones like men lying down with men. In Leviticus that one is a handful of things God calls an Abomination.
Whats the difference? I do not understand why one sin is to be ignored as petty or dismissable and another is to be seized upon and savagely used to persecute innocents with.

Surely God sees all sins as sins. How do humans gauge his or her benchmark of seriousness exactly?

I do not understand.

Little Dragon

Days of Lot again, therefore I visit the punishment of its iniquity upon it.
Yes I know about Lot, a paragon of virtue. Which to me is puzzling, given his drunken incestuous impregnation of his own daughters. I do not understand so much about the Christian faith. It is so very alien to me.