• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

End to the Korean War?

esmith

Veteran Member
It seems that North and South Korea are discussing signing a peace treaty to officially end the Korean War according to Bloomberg News The two countries have been at war since 1950 when North Korea's inmin'gun invaded South Korea. If so it might help to bring and end to the nuclearazition of the North.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
It seems that North and South Korea are discussing signing a peace treaty to officially end the Korean War according to Bloomberg News The two countries have been at war since 1950 when North Korea's inmin'gun invaded South Korea. If so it might help to bring and end to the nuclearazition of the North.
OMG... Look at where Trump's game of brinkmanship has gotten us.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I doubt Kimmy will stop with the nuke program.

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
I am cautiously optimistic. The demands by NK have been rather unreasonable in the past. Unless something has drastically changed, I doubt much will come of it.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I genuinely hope it does but I'll believe it when I see it.
One roadblock is that South Korea cannot formally sign the formal declaration of the end to the war. CNBC actually disclosed details about the situation without giving into the temptation sensationalizing the possibility of ongoing peace talks.

Another thing is the unsecured release of three Americans held by the north. It does not come across as sincere.

Last is the status of the DMZ as to wether it will return to its former state, if ever, prior to any formal signing.

South Korean government says it would consider peace treaty with North Korea after denuclearization

Jumi

I am cautiously optimistic. The demands by NK have been rather unreasonable in the past. Unless something has drastically changed, I doubt much will come of it.
Perhaps they realized the US might get a crazy president enough to call their bluffs and wanted to stop playing chicken with their lives.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Perhaps they realized the US might get a crazy president enough to call their bluffs and wanted to stop playing chicken with their lives.

It would be nice to see an end to the hostilities while my father is still alive. He got to go "camping" in North Korea. It got down to about -30 F or -35 C at night when he was there. Being wounded and in the back of an open truck did not help either.

ETA: LOL, your "cold feet" comment came up while I was typing this one.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I think it's the realization that we now have a president that means what he says.

When there is a line, it's not for show.
I don't know about that. Trump has shown himself to not be a man of his word. I seriously think it is the crazy factor that has them worried.

For example Trump earlier disparaged Obama for taking the exact same sort of action that he took in Syria a few days ago. That reeks of hypocrisy to say the least.

Jumi

It would be nice to see an end to the hostilities while my father is still alive. He got to go "camping" in North Korea. It got down to about -30 F or -35 C at night when he was there. Being wounded and in the back of an open truck did not help either.

ETA: LOL, your "cold feet" comment came up while I was typing this one.
It would be great indeed. A moment like the fall of the Berlin wall. The folks there deserve a better life. Even if the Kims don't stand down but adopt saner policies, it would make the peninsula a much better place. There are many family reunions that can still be done, that I'm hoping can still happen.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I'm more inclined to believe the Un wants to make himself look good, knowing SK won't accept whatever NK's unreasonable conditions for peace will be, and then upping the state propaganda by saying "I tried, but they don't want to play along."

We'll see what comes out in the wash. No point in running victory laps or constructing half baked narratives based on partisan loyalties.

If the North denuclearises, Trump gets some credit. If they don't, he don't.

ajay0

It could also be the economic success of neighboring communist states like China and Vietnam, as well as diplomatic isolation, that may be forcing North Korea to rein in its aggressive strategy and seek reconciliation.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
It seems that North and South Korea are discussing signing a peace treaty to officially end the Korean War ... If so it might help to bring and end to the nuclearazition of the North.
Why might it do that? So far all we see is two narcissists gaining points.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Unlike the right and Obama with good actions then, I'll give credit to the current American regime if there is a serious deal signed and adhered to. Perhaps China managed to convince Kim that it was possible to be both a dictatorship and prosperous. I'm not breaking out the champagne just yet.