• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Editing Huck Finn?

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Ah, the insanity of political correctness... Perhaps they should be more concerned about kids being able to read first.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
The argument for changing the N & I words was that parental objection was so great, that the books couldn't be
taught at all to K-12 students. Which is worse...to sanitize it or to ban it? No middle ground looks available.

Sanitize the parents who were complaining.

Seems like they need chlorine in their end of the gene pool anyway.

(This was a joke, but seriously, those parents can eff the h off.)

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Loudly complaining black parents have a whole lotta political clout.
But it's easy to say ignore'm when the s***storm lands on someone else's doorstep.
The undeniable effect was that the book wasn't being taught. Perhaps now it can be.

I still think they should've changed Jim's name to SpongeJim Squarepants to make it more relevant.

Last edited:

no-body

Twain wrote the book that way for a reason to show how ingrained that word was in that time and place. A good teacher would point this out and use it to show context. This is incredibly stupid.

It's cliche I know but "Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it" Way to completely miss the point of sanitizing and censoring certain words if you are just going to replace them with others. Walk into any school yard and you'll hear kids saying F*g and "that's so gay" like it's no big deal.

Alceste

Vagabond
I heard the publisher of this edition on the radio yesterday. His reasoning is that in many school districts the book was banned because of the n-word and students were not reading it at all. I agree with him that the publishing of an n-word free edition is the most pragmatic solution to that problem. It's not a question of reading the book with the original "******" as opposed to the newfangled "slave" for many students, it's a question of reading the book with "slave" in there (38 times, I think), or not reading it at all.

Did you read Shakespeare in its original form when you were in school? No. Could you have got it that way elsewhere if you really wanted to? Yes.

F2MiltonEpitaph.png

That said, I think the schools that have banned it are the problem, but if they're not solving it I don't see any reason a private publisher shouldn't step in to find a work-around.

Copernicus

Industrial Strength Linguist
:areyoucraSamuel Clemens (Mark Twain) wrote Huckleberry Finn in his early career, and it was one of the works that helped to immortalize him as one of America's greatest writers. The fact is that "******" was a racial slur back when he wrote that book, and he was something of a white supremacist (as were most white Americans) during that time. Mark Twain grew up with slaves, and he came to understand the horror and hypocrisy of racial prejudice as he matured.

Part of the greatness of Mark Twain was his natural talent for describing different dialects of English. He really had them down perfect, and the dialogue in Huckleberry Finn reflects that talent. From my perspective, replacing the word "******" with "slave" is doubly offensive--first because it trivializes the problem by trying to sweep it under the rug, and secondly because it violates Twain's artistic sense. The whole purpose of school is to prepare children for adulthood. When they come to read that novel--usually in high school--they are ready to have a discussion about the use of language and racial slurs. They are not ignorant of these words, and they sense the hypocrisy of trying to pretend that they do not exist. We should try to treat adolescents like the emerging adults that they are. Maybe that will inspire them to behave more like adults.

Edit: For crying out loud. The idiotic editing program replaced the n-word with asterisks!

jarofthoughts

Empirical Curmudgeon

Completely agree. The book is as much a historical document as anything else and as a teacher I do not believe in lying to my pupils. They should know that times were different back then and that people's conceptions of what is right and wrong change.