• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Eating leftovers

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
So i was told that it is sort of unhealthy that I don’t rinse out my tupperware every night after work, when I’m going to put the same food in it the next day anyway

My question is, what about that is unhealthy specifically? And is it also unhealthy to eat half of it at work, rewarm the other half later after work from the same tupperware?

Also Is eating directly out of a yogurt container and putting it back into the fridge a few days in a row unhealthy so long as it’s just me eating out of it?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Sounds like you've been talking to germaphobes or neat freaks. If you've got a compromised immune system or something, yeah, maybe be a bit more paranoid about it, but otherwise?

Dude.

If eating leftovers was not okay I would be in poor health or straight dead right now - I grew up in a household that didn't tolerate food waste. You know, the kind of household that saves "leftover" bones from the Thanksgiving turkey to make real broth and the like. Nobody died. Really all you need to do is stuff like this:

Four Simple Steps to Food Safety

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
So i was told that it is sort of unhealthy that I don’t rinse out my tupperware every night after work, when I’m going to put the same food in it the next day anyway

My question is, what about that is unhealthy specifically? And is it also unhealthy to eat half of it at work, rewarm the other half later after work from the same tupperware?

Also Is eating directly out of a yogurt container and putting it back into the fridge a few days in a row unhealthy so long as it’s just me eating out of it?

Bacteria has a habit of multiplying, that said, saving some for later and reheating it to more than 65c/149f should present no problems so long as you wash the container out before refilling it.

Bacteria will migrate from your mouth to the spoon to the yoghurt where it will multiply unless your fridge is kept below 5c/41f where bacteria cannot grow.

Callisto

Hellenismos, BTW
Bacteria proliferate. Cold temperatures can slow that down so if your container is in the fridge, there shouldn't be a problem. But If it's sitting on your desk for hours after lunchtime, then sitting on the counter when you get home until whenever you get around to filling it up again, you might want to reconsider.

I hope you don't go more than 2 days doing that, multiple days of dried-on food is just gross IMO. But, you do you.

You're adding germs and saliva so it's certainly not the most hygienic practice. But if you're the only one eating from it, bon appetite. (I trust you don't serve others from the same container, nor have friends who help themselves when they come over.)

The Sum of Awe

Bacteria has a habit of multiplying, that said, saving some for later and reheating it to more than 65c/149f should present no problems so long as you wash the container out before refilling it.
More specifically, I fill the container for two meals that day. I eat half of it at work, and then put it in the fridge, take it home and warm up the rest in a microwave and eat it. I don't think my microwave gets it to 149f, but it might. Is that unsafe?

I will wash the container out between each refill at least for sure now, thanks!
Bacteria will migrate from your mouth to the spoon to the yoghurt where it will multiply unless your fridge is kept below 5c/41f where bacteria cannot grow.
Hmm, okay. I suppose it will just be safer for me to put some in a bowl in that case. More dishes, but I suppose it's better than getting sick.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist

We often have leftovers from previous leftovers and we're in our latter 70's.

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member

The main concern here is bacteria. The danger zone is 45-135 degrees Fahrenheit. If you leave the container at this temperature zone and there are any food particles, visible or not, bacteria will grow and can make you ill or kill you depending on the food and the kind of bacteria.

Food should never be reheated more than once for the same reason, and any reheated food should reach at least 165 degrees.

And regarding the yogurt, any food that comes in contact with your mouth, whether directly or indirectly, should not be stored and consumed later. Bacteria from your mouth begins to break down the food.

I spent most of my career ServSafe certified.

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
More specifically, I fill the container for two meals that day. I eat half of it at work, and then put it in the fridge, take it home and warm up the rest in a microwave and eat it. I don't think my microwave gets it to 149f, but it might. Is that unsafe?
Yes.

The Sum of Awe

The main concern here is bacteria. The danger zone is 45-135 degrees Fahrenheit. If you leave the container at this temperature zone and there are any food particles, visible or not, bacteria will grow and can make you ill or kill you depending on the food and the kind of bacteria.

Food should never be reheated more than once for the same reason, and any reheated food should reach at least 165 degrees.

And regarding the yogurt, any food that comes in contact with your mouth, whether directly or indirectly, should not be stored and consumed later. Bacteria from your mouth begins to break down the food.

I spent most of my career ServSafe certified.
Thanks for the info!