• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Eastern V Western

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
"It seems that Western religions look outwards for God, and Eastern looks inward." - Nature of Existence [Movie].

Is there any Northern/Southern religions?

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
In and out, North and south, east and west, labels.

So I say yes to your question. :D

9Westy9

Sceptic, Libertarian, Egalitarian
Premium Member
"It seems that Western religions look outwards for God, and Eastern looks inward." - Nature of Existence [Movie].

Eastern religions = Asia and Western = Middle east? :shrug:

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
I don't think "Eastern" and "Western" works.

There are Dharmic, Abrahamic, European Pagan, African traditional, Possibly Iranian religions (possibly; if you don't wish to put Manichaeanism, Yazdanism, etc into Abrahamic and other groups), New Religious Movements, American Indian & First Nations (I'd include from Greenland here), Mesoamerican religions, Asian and Polynesian traditional (Anito, Laotian and Thai animism and traditional religions), Far East Asian religions (Shinto, Shenism, Korean mugyo, Ryukuan religion, Ainu animism, Left Hand Path religions, and New Religious Movements.

Even then, this list is not exhaustive and is still an oversimplification, as some people follow multiple religions. Many Japanese, for example, are still Shinto-Buddhists, many Chinese people are Shenist-Buddhists, and so on.

I don't think "Eastern" and "Western" works.

There are Dharmic, Abrahamic, European Pagan, African traditional, Possibly Iranian religions (possibly; if you don't wish to put Manichaeanism, Yazdanism, etc into Abrahamic and other groups), New Religious Movements, American Indian & First Nations (I'd include from Greenland here), Mesoamerican religions, Asian and Polynesian traditional (Anito, Laotian and Thai animism and traditional religions), Far East Asian religions (Shinto, Shenism, Korean mugyo, Ryukuan religion, Ainu animism, Left Hand Path religions, and New Religious Movements.

Even then, this list is not exhaustive and is still an oversimplification, as some people follow multiple religions. Many Japanese, for example, are still Shinto-Buddhists, many Chinese people are Shenist-Buddhists, and so on.

This.

:drunk:

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Probably a good metaphor for them anyways... some NRM might not like the 'other' NRM :D
LOL, probably not. :D

Even then, NRM is quite confusing as some religions fit into other groups as well. I should probably omit one of the NRM movements and have "Syncretic Movements". Even then that would be confusing, as some religions would appear syncretic as well a something else.

Bah. Religions are complicated. :D

JacobEzra.

Dr. Greenthumb
Well its true within Christianity. Western Christianity differs from Eastern Christianity. Even with the EO and the RC.

Especially wwhen it comes to spirituality. I herd their monks are much stricter

Tonymai

Lonesome Religionist

Perhaps, God lives within us as we live within God. The paradox of both inside and outside should be lived simultaneously.

ForeverFaithful

Son Worshiper

Don't know if that's fair to say, at least I understand in Christianity our God is outwards in The Father, Material in Christ's Flesh, and inward in the Holy Spirit