• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dutch MP refused entry to Britain

Sahar

A Dutch MP who called the Koran a "fascist book" has been sent back to the Netherlands after attempting to defy a ban on entering the UK.

Freedom Party MP Geert Wilders had been invited to show his controversial film - which links the Islamic holy book to terrorism - in the UK's House of Lords.
But Mr Wilders, who faces trial in his own country for inciting hatred, has been denied entry by the Home Office.

He told the BBC it was a "very sad day" for UK democracy.

BBC NEWS | UK | UK Politics | Dutch MP refused entry to Britain

Your thoughts?

kai

ragamuffin
I am a little confused ? He was banned from entering , then they showed his film at the House of Lords anyway?

Is there a smell of panic in this decision?

A Dutch MP who called the Koran a "fascist book" has been sent back to the Netherlands after attempting to defy a ban on entering the UK.

Freedom Party MP Geert Wilders had been invited to show his controversial film - which links the Islamic holy book to terrorism - in the UK's House of Lords.
But Mr Wilders, who faces trial in his own country for inciting hatred, has been denied entry by the Home Office.

Your thoughts?

Well, I've not seen the film nor talked to any American Muslims about it, so I can't form an honest opinion. I did read the following in the link you posted:

The peer said it was a "matter of free speech", telling the BBC: "We are going to show it anyway because we think MPs and peers should see this film."
'No purpose'
He added: "The film isn't offensive unless you are a violent Islamist. Most of my Muslim friends think it's a very good film."

Is the film offensive to non-violent Islamists?

gnomon

They should let him in, let him show his little film and then destroy with reason.

Acting the part of the coward in this situation benefits no one. The subtext implied in such cases, that they think the Muslim population cannot handle the film being shown, I would imagine is more insulting than the showing of the film itself.

Even if the man is a hypocrite I find this just ridiculous.

Alceste

Vagabond
The real issue here is not the denial of entry to one individual, but the ridiculous amount of arbitrary power granted to the UK's Home Secretary, and the intentional lack of definition of "national security" in UK law. She has a free pass on most UK laws, including laws governing the privacy of individuals and the collection of personal data. Broadly speaking, the UK home secretary gets to do whatever she feels like doing on any given day, and all of it is "legal".

People who object to the arbitrary powers of the Home Office need to lobby for legislation limiting its powers. It would be a better use of their time and energy than objecting to this or that particular decision.

Last edited:

J Bryson

Foolish opinions and speech have never been defeated through concealment, but rather through dragging them kicking and screaming into the light of reason and humanity.

Melissa G

Non Veritas Verba Amanda
Indeed, a very bad day for Freedom of Speech. To me, the Authorities are saying, people are too dumb to make up their minds about what somebody is saying.

Melissa G

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
It makes you want to see the film doesnt it.
The British government may as well have aired Fitna on the BBC for all the publicity they have unwittingly given him. Then again, maybe it wasn't done unwittingly.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member

Your thoughts?

I have'nt seen the Film but as long as he does'nt incite hatred or violence i don't see the problem although he is running the risk of ending up like Theo Van Gogh who made the Film Submission.