• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Drinking...

Druidus

Keeper of the Grove
I'd like to note that not only man, but many animals use alcohol. Man started with fermented fruits. Likely, an ability to handle booze was a useful benefit, as alcohol contains twice the calories than an equivalent amount of carbohydrates. Of course, the intoxicating effect wouldn't be overlooked either...

Quoth The Raven

Half Arsed Muse
rogue_believer said:
Recorded?? by whom?

All I have stated is that as alcohol is bad for you, we should remove it from society, therefore removing tempation from the weak.
If people are going to develop an addiction, they'll do it. Take away alcohol and they'll become addicted to gambling, or shopping, or whatever is available to them.
If I'm not going to be denied the right to buy clothes because we have to remove the temptation of retail therapy from the weak, then why should I be denied the right to sit down on a Saturday night with a glass of scotch and watch six young, drunken Scotsmen on tv attempting to maim themselves by setting fire to their feet and running around in circles, in order to remove the temptation of alcohol from the very people we're still allowing to run amok in Target spending money willynilly on unnecessary numbers of bedspreads?

darkwaldo

Aaanyyywho...

I drink because I enjoy being tipsy or even drunk and I like the taste of many different alcoholic beverages.

I like to drink beer and wine. Ususally I drink Guiness but when its availible I'll drink Toois Old from Australia or something from the local breweries there. For hard liquer I like to drink Drambuie, Tequila, or Jagermiester.

The taste, the buzz, and fun I have when I drink are the biggest benifits. When I drink too much scotch or vodka, the vomiting and hangover is the negative side to drinking.

Some alcohol is more intellectual than others because the way its marketed, I think.

If Bill Gates sat next to you at work and started moaning about the wages he was getting out of the joint how serious would you take him.

Jesus' previous address was 'Right hand side of the father, On high, Heaven'. Now a guy with an address like that is not going to convince me that he is one of us. Scripture or no scriptures.

NetDoc said:
The scriptures recorded it:

John 2:1 On the third day a wedding took place at Cana in Galilee. Jesus' mother was there, 2 and Jesus and his disciples had also been invited to the wedding. 3 When the wine was gone, Jesus' mother said to him, "They have no more wine."

4 "Dear woman, why do you involve me?" Jesus replied, "My time has not yet come."
5 His mother said to the servants, "Do whatever he tells you."
6 Nearby stood six stone water jars, the kind used by the Jews for ceremonial washing, each holding from twenty to thirty gallons.
7 Jesus said to the servants, "Fill the jars with water"; so they filled them to the brim.
8 Then he told them, "Now draw some out and take it to the master of the banquet."
They did so, 9 and the master of the banquet tasted the water that had been turned into wine. He did not realize where it had come from, though the servants who had drawn the water knew. Then he called the bridegroom aside 10 and said, "Everyone brings out the choice wine first and then the cheaper wine after the guests have had too much to drink; but you have saved the best till now." 11 This, the first of his miraculous signs, Jesus performed in Cana of Galilee. He thus revealed his glory, and his disciples put their faith in him. NIV

Not only did he make wine, but he made a stellar wine. It's not worth doing if you don't do your very best. I am confident that this wine would have brought tears of joy to the eyes of a sommelier.

And all I have done is to disagree with your premise and have even asked you to elucidate. Unfortunately, you have chosen to merely repeat yourself.

You choose to believe the scriptures, I assume they were written by somone after they had sunk a bottle or two of red . . . . I choose to believe that alcohol as a substance is bad, it leads down a very rocky road unless you are able to control yourself.

rogue_believer said:
You choose to believe the scriptures, I assume they were written by somone after they had sunk a bottle or two of red . . . . I choose to believe that alcohol as a substance is bad, it leads down a very rocky road unless you are able to control yourself.

In your defence regarding the scriptures.

They were also written after the fact and relying on hearsay. Hardly admissable as solid evidence in the 21st century.

I may as well quote graffiti on a toilet wall to back up an arguement.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
Mr Suspicious said:
They were also written after the fact and relying on hearsay. Hardly admissable as solid evidence in the 21st century.
Of course, you have proof to discredit them that is not written after the fact and does not rely on hearsay?
Mr Suspicious said:
I may as well quote graffiti on a toilet wall to back up an arguement.
I thought your posts looked familiar! :D

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
rogue_believer said:
This one statement speaks volumes. It would appear that you base a lot on "assumptions". But hey, I would never assume this to be the case. :D

NetDoc said:
Of course, you have proof to discredit them that is not written after the fact and does not rely on hearsay?
I thought your posts looked familiar! :D

Are you trying to tell me that the scriptures we written as a live account? A blog as it were, you are having a laugh.

If you think my replies are worthy of a toilet wall you should be worried. You are struggling to defend your point with your own words, rooting through a disputable set of scriptures for evidence.

The graffiti was one the wall and the scriptures were in the bowl.

NetDoc said:
This one statement speaks volumes. It would appear that you base a lot on "assumptions". But hey, I would never assume this to be the case. :D

Given nor I or you, or anyone else can verify it to be the case, I was merely throwing an idea out there . .

Mr Suspicious said:
Maybe he is 2000 years old.

Some of his ideas certainly are.

I don't see the relevance of some documents that may/may not have been written thousands of years ago in todays world, which is contantly changing and evolving.

Druidus

Keeper of the Grove
The relevence of the Bible in today's world is evident in it's ideals and values. I'm all for peace and love, though I don't accept the Bible as a Holy Book. To me, these ideas have immense relevence to us all.

I think debate over the validity of the Bible belongs in religious debate, not here. Lets try to keep to the OT.

Rogue_Believer, as the main anti-alcohol advocate in this thread, what evidence do you have to support your assertions towards alcohol? Please limit this evidence to peer-reviewed literature.

I assume you have this evidence claiming that drinking any alcohol is bad, correct?

No*s

Captain Obvious
rogue_believer said:
Some of his ideas certainly are.

I don't see the relevance of some documents that may/may not have been written thousands of years ago in todays world, which is contantly changing and evolving.

It is relevant to those who believe and base their lives around it. Perhaps to people of other persuasions, Scripture may be meaningless, but to those of us who love and cherish it, it has profound importance. It simply falls with a "thud" on the ground if someone doesn't.

Heck, for some of us, even some pagan writings carry some weight (nowhere near that of the Christian writings), so I would also point out all those pagan texts with alchohol being poured out a plenty (Iliad, Beowulf, etc.). It's a basic part of human life.

No*s

Captain Obvious
Druidus said:
The relevence of the Bible in today's world is evident in it's ideals and values. I'm all for peace and love, though I don't accept the Bible as a Holy Book. To me, these ideas have immense relevence to us all.

I think debate over the validity of the Bible belongs in religious debate, not here. Lets try to keep to the OT.

Rogue_Believer, as the main anti-alcohol advocate in this thread, what evidence do you have to support your assertions towards alcohol? Please limit this evidence to peer-reviewed literature.

I assume you have this evidence claiming that drinking any alcohol is bad, correct?

Sorry Druidus, you beat me to a similar post :).

Druidus said:

Are you takin the ****??? Can you explain what country you live in that tells people that drinking alcohol is good for you, and doesn't have any side effects or maybe effect someones organs and health.

If you need me to produce documented proof as such you seriously need to go to school or see a doctor as you are not living in any reality I am aware of.

Druidus said:

Here here, now take heed Mr NetDoc.

Ok Mr R Believer, what do you have to say for your sorry self, scared of a bit of booze are we?

Druidus said:

You have to making this up . . . .

If you have never heard it said that alcohol is bad for you then you need to go to school, use google a very popular serach engine, or even a local doctor.

However, asimple piece of investigation has revealed this;
http://alcoholism.about.com/od/health/

Mr Suspicious said:
Here here, now take heed Mr NetDoc.

Ok Mr R Believer, what do you have to say for your sorry self, scared of a bit of booze are we?

Not scared of what drinking will do to me, its the greater human population I am more concerned about. I don't want to be shot by a drunkard with a 12 bore, or mown down by a drink driver, or have a friend beaten her drink fueled abusive husband.