• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Drinking...

Druidus

Keeper of the Grove
I have two points, at least, to debate in this thread. First of all, do you drink alcoholic beverages? Why? What do you drink, brand wise and type wise? Why? What benefits are there to drinking? What negatives are there?

Secondly why are certain alcohols considered more intellectual? Aren't all alcohols the same drug? Why is wine considered more intellectual than beer? Even hard alcohol drinks are considered more intellectual than beers, or, at least, that's the impression I get.

I don't really drink anymore. Sometimes, though rarely. I had some abuse problems with alcohol. It wasn't fun. I drank way too much, got way too sick, and I just decided to end it. I ended it after drinking a 15 ounces of straight vodka. Ugh...

Personally, there are drugs much more enlightening than alcohol, with much less potential for abuse. I'll use it every now and then, but only a few glasses of wine or a few beer.

No*s

Captain Obvious
Do I drink? Only for the Eucharist, and that's a spoonful :p.

Why don't I? Well, I can't stand anything jacking with my mind that way.

As for why some drinks are more intellectual than others, well, I have no idea. I've never really given it much thought.

standing_alone

First of all, do you drink alcoholic beverages?

Uh huh.

It's just a beverage like anyother. I drink because I like it - and occasionally to get drunk.

What do you drink, brand wise and type wise?

Beer. Usually Budweiser or Leinenkugels - preferably Leinies Creamy Dark. No lite beer for me, either. Other than that, I'll drink pretty much any beer.

What benefits are there to drinking?

I think beer tastes good. It's fun to get together, have a bonfire, and drink. And occasionally getting drunk.

What negatives are there?

Getting too drunk and waking up with a hangover.

Secondly why are certain alcohols considered more intellectual?

I have no idea.

Aren't all alcohols the same drug?

I thought so.

Why is wine considered more intellectual than beer?

I don't know, but anyone wants to call beer drinkers unintelligent can answer to me!Knockout

:D Beer... I love beer.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
I drink on occasion. I'm a social drinker. I like to drink over conversation (preferably with a cigarette...even after I've quit smoking).

There's nothing like a good Tequila. I'm not real particular about brands of Tequila but if I have a rum and coke...it has to be Captain Morgan's and Coke. I also like a well made Long Island Iced Tea.

Benefits to drinking? Well, it's relaxing and red wine in moderation can have happy heart effects.

Negatives?

Gee...where to start...alcoholism is a horribly ugly disease. It's been excruciating watching my Dad destroy himself.

Liver damage isn't pretty.

The poor choices that people make while intoxicated can have deadly effects. I'm disgusted with how many morons wind up killing themselves and innocent people while driving intoxicated.

Also...the emotional damage that alcoholism can have on an alcoholic's family is especially damaging.

Knowing that I have addictive tendencies...I don't drink often at all. This way, I don't have to worry about becoming like my father and when I do enjoy a drink or two with friends (responsibly)...I don't have to feel guilty about it and I know I'm not destroying lives. My husband and children are far too precious to me. I respect myself enough not to follow in my father's footsteps.

Still...despite the negatives...I'm not anti-alcohol. I think a person of legal age has the right to drink responsibly. And truthfully, from a social aspect...alcohol can bring "life" to the social setting.

I don't know if any alcohols are really considered more "intellectual". Perhaps, there are alcohol fads within different social groups. I don't know.

"Hard" alcoholic drinks are more expensive than beer...so perhaps in social settings an "older" more "intellectual" looking crowd may purchase. Who knows? :)

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
I drink because my Lord drank. Too often pseudo religious people draw a line in the sand that God never wanted to be drawn. The only difference that SHOULD be obvious between Christians and the world is LOVE.

A

angellous_evangellous

NetDoc said:
I drink because my Lord drank. Too often pseudo religious people draw a line in the sand that God never wanted to be drawn. The only difference that SHOULD be obvious between Christians and the world is LOVE.

Right on, brutha!

I drink because alcohol is one of God's gifts to humanity.

Red wine and beer. I enjoy several liquors as well, but I generally stay away from the hard stuff. The wife normally doesn't like me to drink beer, so I mostly drink wine. I love a nice merlot, but I enjoy variety in both my wines and beers.

some favs = Fosters, Guiness, Shiner

Ðanisty

I enjoy drinking at home or at a restaurant, but I really can't stand drinking in a bar or a club. In fact, I just can't stand bars and clubs. I only go when there's a really good band playing. I prefer to curl up on the couch and drink while spending time with my friends. I don't generally like beer. I just don't care for the taste. The only beer I really like is Sapporo. It's Japanese. Wine is okay, but only super-dry red wines. I honestly prefer hard liquor, but I don't drink like a lush. I drink slow and take my time. My favorite is Drambui. I like it by itself, in coffee and with scotch (it's called a rusty nail). My max in one evening is only 2 drinks.

I don't like to get drunk. A nice buzz is good, but I never drink enough to get sick or give myself a headache. I did that a couple times in high school and I didn't enjoy it at all.

I don't think any one type of drink is really more intellectual than any other. I think more or less people get that impression based on the circumstances in which people drink. Beer is more associated with bars, sporting events, etc. where people are loud and crazy. It's just a stereotype.

Yerda

Veteran Member
Druidus said:
do you drink alcoholic beverages? Why? What do you drink, brand wise and type wise? Why? What benefits are there to drinking? What negatives are there?
I drink often. I realise quite how much I drink when I point out that I've toned it down recently...the past week-and-a-half.

Like most people I drink for different reasons. Sometimes when I'm annoyed it helps me forget. I get depressed sometimes and feel alienated from time to time. Alcohol dissolves those feelings into a kinda numbness. Come the end of exam season alcohol helps me relax. I drink when I'm with my friends mainly because we have the most memorable (some more memorable) occasions when plastered, and it gives us the motivation to do stupid, even dangerous, things we would never do sober. The main reason I get smashed Dru, is because it usuallly turns reality into something I love. Things look different, I notice things I've never seen before, and the things I have feel different to me. The clouds paint on the hills they don't just block the sun, there's music everywhere, trees dance with the wind instead of simply rushing around, engines buzz differently higher and lower, old songs sound new, I can soak in the world. These things make me smile, and ultimately very content. It takes a load of effort to get like that sober, so I take a shortcut.

As for preferences, whiskey. Can't get enough of it. Tastes good, gets you wobbly, and doesn't require urination every ten minutes like beer. I like single malts, of any brand, and bourbon aint bad. I still like my beer, German stuff especially. And I like red wine.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I drink. I drink to get a bit of a buzz, which I honestly have never been able to get further than that. My favorite drinks are Jagermeister and Smirnoff Vodka, straight.

Ðanisty

I like Jagermeister too, Shadow Wolf. Everyone says it tastes aweful, but I love the flavor. It just gives me heartburn and that's why I don't frequently drink it.

Revasser

Terrible Dancer
I drink occasionally. I'm not a big beer drinker, but I like a glass of wine every now and then. I prefer to stick to spirits though and my favourite is vodka. I like Absolut, but I'll drink Smirnoff if I'm feeling particularly stingy. It's partly a social thing, I suppose, but it's murder on your body if you drink too much an

I don't really drink all that often though, because there are other drugs around that have more interesting effects and are easier on my body. I probably wouldn't drink at all if my preferred drugs were easier to get and legal, but alcohol is just convenient because it's so widely available and I don't have to worry about dodgy dealers or the long arm of the law.

I drink, I drink a lot and I drink often. I will drink anything that takes my fancy at the time. Like you say alcohol is the essentially the same in every drink.

A drinks history and marketing is usually determines how 'sophisticated' it is percieved.

When you've had a bathful it has the same effect believe me.

Alcohol should be banned. It leads to so many social problems in todays society, homelessness, fighting, rudeness and violence.

I have never let a drop pass my lips and I would strongly encourage all others to never drink.

rogue_believer said:
Alcohol should be banned. It leads to so many social problems in todays society, homelessness, fighting, rudeness and violence.

I have never let a drop pass my lips and I would strongly encourage all others to never drink.

As you probably can guess I am all for boozing, boozing does not solely give rise to these problems. Drugs and gambling and dare I say it religious quarrels can lead to all the effects you mention.

Should we ban religion due the the violence it sparks? George Bush was a boozer, it's not done him any harm.

Alcohol in what form?

When I care, I suppose I have the following priorities.

Beer has to be cold.
Champagne has to be even colder.
Spirits have to be dark.

After a good few you could serve me anything and I suspest I have been in the past.

Brands. Bavarian beer, french champagne, scottish whiskey. Irish cream.

Nehustan

Mr Suspicious said:
Drugs and gambling and dare I say it religious quarrels can lead to all the effects you mention.

Should we ban religion due the the violence it sparks? George Bush was a boozer, it's not done him any harm.

I have to say I really don't drink, and while some people can control it many can't. I do think it has negative social effects, and certainly messes me up on the occasions I have been drunk.

As to George Bush...your analogy makes me think maybe I should take up drinking. If he is an advert for sobriety, I'd rather be a drunk. First he exchanges his addiction for politics, then executing people one at a time as Governor, then his new addiction went out of control and we have war around the world. I guess he got bored of killing people one at a time as Governor.

If Bush is a drinker, then you need to look no further than him as a prime example to stop. He talks rubbish, can barely string a sentance together and goes to war with anyone how dislikes the US or his buddies.

Drink makes poeple do things they normally wouldn't, and its destroying the world and we do nothing to stop it.

Point taken, that boy could not handle his booze unlike me.

He has always been actively ending lives sober or drunk. Can't really blame booze or lack of it coursing through his veins for his behaviour.

If he kicked his booze habit and climbed to the top of the tree then fair play to him, it is just a shame he did not kick his passion for brutality at the same time.

Like I say you can't blame liquor for Georges bodycount.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
Abuse is always bad. However, ANYTHING can be abused. Obesity ruins far more lives than alcoholism, yet I don't see you campaigning against food. The most perfect man who ever lived drank. If he can find no fault with it, then who am I to condemn it?