• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Drinking and smoking?

Fallen Prophet

I know on the special about Hillsong church one of the issues is that Pastor Carl Lentz was caught privately smoking and drinking and with a few people who were helping him plan the church who were close to him.

I have no problem with him and his buddies smoking and drinking. Jesus drank and smoking is not in the bible.

My problem is that he was hiding it and the reason is his church stands against it. It's the hypocrisy, not the actions I don't like.

But I was thinking about the whole issue of smoking and drinking, so this question is for Christians and folks from other religions. What do you teach about drinking and smoking? My Mom was a member of a conservative Southern Baptist church where she taught Sunday school.
They also taught and preached against smoking and drinking and my Mom was drunk as a skunk and smoked all the time behind the churches back.
Good thing your Mom is not a representative of Christianity or our Lord and Savior.

I believe that drinking alcohol and smoking are bad for people - both physically and spiritually - and should be avoided.

We cannot compare what the Lord Jesus Christ drank to what people drink today.

Water was often not potable, and "wine" was as often juice or vinegar as it was anything alcoholic.