• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Drinking and smoking?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I know on the special about Hillsong church one of the issues is that Pastor Carl Lentz was caught privately smoking and drinking and with a few people who were helping him plan the church who were close to him.

I have no problem with him and his buddies smoking and drinking. Jesus drank and smoking is not in the bible.

My problem is that he was hiding it and the reason is his church stands against it. It's the hypocrisy, not the actions I don't like.

But I was thinking about the whole issue of smoking and drinking, so this question is for Christians and folks from other religions. What do you teach about drinking and smoking? My Mom was a member of a conservative Southern Baptist church where she taught Sunday school.
They also taught and preached against smoking and drinking and my Mom was drunk as a skunk and smoked all the time behind the churches back.
Out of all my problems with Hillsong Church, this is probably the least of them.

Riders

Well, Carl Lentz was fired for having an affair so I don't care. I have never known any smoker including my mother who was not addicted to tobacco. So I think it's best not to smoke although it won't send you to hell.

PruePhillip

I know on the special about Hillsong church one of the issues is that Pastor Carl Lentz was caught privately smoking and drinking and with a few people who were helping him plan the church who were close to him.

I have no problem with him and his buddies smoking and drinking. Jesus drank and smoking is not in the bible.

My problem is that he was hiding it and the reason is his church stands against it. It's the hypocrisy, not the actions I don't like.

But I was thinking about the whole issue of smoking and drinking, so this question is for Christians and folks from other religions. What do you teach about drinking and smoking? My Mom was a member of a conservative Southern Baptist church where she taught Sunday school.
They also taught and preached against smoking and drinking and my Mom was drunk as a skunk and smoked all the time behind the churches back.

Two issues wtih drinking and smoking
1 - it's self indulgence, pleasure seeking
2 - it's a way of connecting to peers and conforming to the world.

Having said that - drinking in moderation is fine. The only REAL issue, as Paul put it, is that your
habit in moderation could cause someone to adopt the same habit in excess.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady

I figure if it's not unbiblical, does it matter? Sometimes churches have strange rules. One of the Baptist churches I went to had "no consuming of alcoholic beverages" in its by-laws. That's not biblical, so if they would have caught me having a bi-annual glass of wine with dinner, they could kick me out, and I'd gladly have left.

Clara Tea

Hangin' around on the other side of the tracks of heaven, in a smoke-filled room, with a poker game, angels with strong Bronx, Queens, New York accents cuss about rival heavenly gangs (thems that got harps), and plot their demise.

Somehow, that isn't the heaven that everyone had in theri mind's eye.

Yet, smoking, drinking, gambling, and cussing (even in a Bronx accent) are not very big sins. Not compared to the sin of killing just one single innocent person. But to kill a million people (in a war)...a war that God had warned us not to fight (Iraq, according to Revelation in the bible)....and then make torture camps around the world (like the one in Guantanamo, Cuba (to evade the scrutiny of Congress which has to avoid war crimes or face trials at the Hague for violating the Geneva Conventions)., is unthinkably cruel, and no one engaged in such activities would be allowed in or even near heaven. They would, as Revelation says, be doomed to eternal damnation in the fiery pit of hell forever.

Drinking is a mild sin (gluttony/greed). Killing (especially a million people with a mass murder), is a huge sin, and an unforgiveable sin.

Now we face God's wrath (Relation 15: Seven mutations of covid) for killing Iraqis, and many pray to God for relief and don't find relief. That is because we now face God's punishments for disobeying Him. There is no forgiveness. There are no miracle cures. We are doomed to die on a planet that is doomed to be destroyed.

Iraq was a very special place to God (The Tower of Babel, Babylon)(Eden, between the Tigris and Euphrates). Now tank tracks over shards of broken pottery mark God's protected land, with bomb craters pot marking God's lands.

I realize that all of the above seem like sins.....drinking is a sin.....but I put it in perspective to show that one sin is greater than another. Drinking a beer vs. murdering a million people.....do you see the perspective?

Clara Tea

Two issues wtih drinking and smoking
1 - it's self indulgence, pleasure seeking
2 - it's a way of connecting to peers and conforming to the world.

Having said that - drinking in moderation is fine. The only REAL issue, as Paul put it, is that your
habit in moderation could cause someone to adopt the same habit in excess.

Maybe if they only drank on holidays (like Canadian groundhog day?)?

Clara Tea

I figure if it's not unbiblical, does it matter? Sometimes churches have strange rules. One of the Baptist churches I went to had "no consuming of alcoholic beverages" in its by-laws. That's not biblical, so if they would have caught me having a bi-annual glass of wine with dinner, they could kick me out, and I'd gladly have left.

Maybe we could pour a bag of sugar in wine and call it Mogen David, and use it to celebrate high holidays?

Maybe we could serve wafers and wine and tell everyone that they are eating the body and blood of Jesus. And, when they aren't looking, we could switch it for real body parts?

Clara Tea

I personally think that added alcohol (spirits) is not good for us.
However, I think natural fermentation of no more than 35%, is good for us.
It's actually good for the stomach - 1 Timothy 5:23

Natural vs Conventional

There are several types of alcohol (the kind that you drink (ethyl), rubbing alcohol (isopropel), or dangerous wood alcohol (methyl)).

100% is 200 proof. Thus 88 proof whiskey is 44 percent ethyl alcohol.

Vinovest | Investing in Wine as an Alternative Asset

Alcohol content of wines can be enhanced by adding more alcohol. That alcohol is obtained through distillation (a still--so watch out fer revenuers...feds who will chop up the machinery that makes the miracle elixer....granny's rumatiz medicine).

Unenhanced (from the natural fermentation process) wine is 12% (see website above for confirmation) which is 24 proof. Fermentation is caused by the yeast fungus digesting sugar (and other things that break down to sugar), then pissing out alcohol. Thus, alcohol is fungus **** (the waste product of a plant).

When we check into gambler's anonymous, we could bet the other gamblers that we could stop gambling before anyone else (doh....we lost when we made the bet).

When we check into alcoholic's anonymous, we could propose a toast (every day) to sobriety, and only drink on special occasions, like Tony Blair month to show support for England.

Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of Betty Ford....Her trampling of the vintage where the grapes of wrath are stored.

Many highly placed politicians have had trucks with alcohol. Ulysses S Grant, for example. George W. Bush turned to God to turn him away from drinking and using narcotics. On the other hand, the more narcotics that one uses, the more apt they are to see and have a conversation with God. Were W. Bush's morals high while he was high?

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Says who?

"“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” "
Should have added - and by taxi, and with a large bill to pay according to the meter. :D

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member

In my tradition smoking is prohibited, well sort of. See, weed consumption can be ritualistic and indeed has some spiritual value in certain traditions. Usually only though a process of making it into a drink though.
Alcohol is similarly frowned upon in my religion. In saying that, there is a Fijian tradition of incorporating Kava (a sort of alcohol like intoxicant) into ritualistic worship. Which may or may not be frowned upon by practitioners. Even as they imbibe it (it is a sin to reject “prasad” or food/drink offered in prayer. Of which kava can be a part of.)
Did always find that amusing lol

As for me, I know I drink way too much. Don’t smoke though.

Last edited:

exchemist

Veteran Member
Having some heath benefits does not equal "good for you." Also with these health benefits come risk of certain types of cancers.

Moderate alcohol consumption may provide some health benefits, such as:

• Reducing your risk of developing and dying of heart disease
  • Possibly reducing your risk of ischemic stroke (when the arteries to your brain become narrowed or blocked, causing severely reduced blood flow)
  • Possibly reducing your risk of diabetes

However, eating a healthy diet and being physically active have much greater health benefits and have been more extensively studied.

Keep in mind that even moderate alcohol use isn't risk-free. For example, even light drinkers (those who have no more than one drink a day) have a tiny, but real, increased risk of some cancers, such as esophageal cancer. And drinking and driving is never a good idea.
Also, if you are going to post such generalizations about a potentially dangerous intoxicant, it's helpful to define terms:

Moderate alcohol use for healthy adults generally means up to one drink a day for women and up to two drinks a day for men.

Examples of one drink include:

• Beer: 12 fluid ounces (355 milliliters)
  • Wine: 5 fluid ounces (148 milliliters)
  • Distilled spirits (80 proof): 1.5 fluid ounces (44 milliliters)
Alcohol in moderation: How many drinks is that?
In UK terminology that is 2 "units" of alcohol/day, a unit being 10g alcohol. So 14 units/week.

There is also another supplementary recommendation, which is to make sure you have some days during the week when you do not drink alcohol at all, preferably including 2 consecutive days at some point. This is to make sure your liver has a chance to recover completely - and to avoid getting into the habit of always expecting a drink each day.....which can then become 2, etc.

I drink generally 12-14 units week but consume all but 2 of them over the weekend (Fri/Sat/Sun) - basically one bbl wine - and then have a beer or glass of wine midweek at some point.

P.S. This has nothing to do with any religious observance. It's due to managing a susceptibility to heart arrhythmia (AF). But I sleep particularly well on the nights that I don't drink.

P.P.S. I've never smoked.

Viker

Häxan
I imbibe in moderation on occasion.

Drinking and smoking, in themselves, aren't prohibited (even though smoking is bad for a person's health). Drinking in moderation is recommended.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Privately smoking and drinking is not the same as publicly promoting it.

My mission (should they choose to accept) for Hillsong is for all of them to try some alcohol and come cigarettes. They should have an event where they all try it. This will go 99% of the way towards healing and fixing this mess.