• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dr. Peterson on His "Belief" in God

Soandso

ᛋᛏᚨᚾᛞ ᛋᚢᚱᛖ
Eh... I'm not a big fan of Jordan Peterson, personally. I've seen him employ a lot of gish galloping, mental gymnastics, waffling, and pivoting during his debates. I prefer debators who are more grounded and don't just waffle off with red herrings when presented with things that counter their assertions

His philosophical ideas seem to be up in the clouds - I prefer my philosophers to be more down to earth

Colt

Eh... I'm not a big fan of Jordan Peterson, personally. I've seen him employ a lot of gish galloping, mental gymnastics, waffling, and pivoting during his debates. I prefer debators who are more grounded and don't just waffle off with red herrings when presented with things that counter their assertions

His philosophical ideas seem to be up in the clouds - I prefer my philosophers to be more down to earth
Did you watch the video?

Soandso

ᛋᛏᚨᚾᛞ ᛋᚢᚱᛖ
I see what he's talking about, and I watched it. By-the-way its a lot faster to have youtube print the transcript, so anybody that doesn't want to view the video can skim the text very quickly instead.

I tried with reading the transcript and oof... He keeps going down tangents that lead nowhere

The gist I get is that he's talking about the concept of stated belief vs. acting on belief. This just feels like the inability to overcome one's own faults. At it's very core, belief is simply being convinced of something and incorporating it within your epistomological toolset. If you take the thing you believe in seriously, you act on it

I don't go walking off a cliff because I believe I will most likely fall to my death. Now, there are things people believe and their will is too weak to resist it, such as believing smoking will lead to your eventual death but continuing to smoke. You still are convinced of the thing, but the urge tp smoke is stronger than the belief that you will die sooner due to the habit

Maybe those who could pay attention more could fill me in better?

Colt

I tried with reading the transcript and oof... He keeps going down tangents that lead nowhere

The gist I get is that he's talking about the concept of stated belief vs. acting on belief. This just feels like the inability to overcome one's own faults. At it's very core, belief is simply being convinced of something and incorporating it within your epistomological toolset. If you take the thing you believe in seriously, you act on it

I don't go walking off a cliff because I believe I will most likely fall to my death. Now, there are things people believe and their will is too weak to resist it, such as believing smoking will lead to your eventual death but continuing to smoke. You still are convinced of the thing, but the urge tp smoke is stronger than the belief that you will die sooner due to the habit

You first posted after NOT watching the 11 minute OP video 2 hours ago? You could just watch the video, practice some patience.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion

It is funny how non-relgious people always end up making arguments based on how objective reality can kill you, if you don't pay attention. That is all life is and now I have done something, which goes against that as universal for all of human life, so now I am dead.
Yes, it is a reductio ad absurdum and I am in effect making fun of you.

Human life is more than just the universal, absolute fact that it is all about not getting killed by objective reality.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member

He's believing for a purpose rather than believing for no purpose. He's also being honest that he is a combination of agnostic and hopeful. Finally he is addressing the reason why he chooses to believe in God, which is that he believes it is the right thing to do.

Soandso

ᛋᛏᚨᚾᛞ ᛋᚢᚱᛖ
You first posted after NOT watching the 11 minute OP video 2 hours ago? You could just watch the video, practice some patience.

Eh... My time is valuable. If someone nianders forever on a point instead of coming out and plainly laying it out, there doesn't seem to be much substance there, imo. I prefer things dry and matter of fact rather than long winded and unfocused

Soandso

ᛋᛏᚨᚾᛞ ᛋᚢᚱᛖ
He's believing for a purpose rather than believing for no purpose. He's also being honest that he is a combination of agnostic and hopeful. Finally he is addressing the reason why he chooses to believe in God, which is that he believes it is the right thing to do.

Thank you!

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Somewhat unrelated but is Peterson…okay?
Like last I saw him, he looked as though he had gone through like several withdrawals or something. Poor guy was skeletal.

danieldemol

Premium Member
Does he get around to saying why he believes it is the correct course of action to believe?