• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Down with BP!!!

• Thread starter angellous_evangellous
  • Start date

Just_me_Mike

Out of interest if this had happened say off the coast of Africa how much attention do you think this will have got?
It would be in proportion to the amount of capitalistic investment from major companies and countries around the world. If there were very little investment, there would be little coverage, if there were lots of investment there would be lots of coverage.

dust1n

Zindīq
The problem is far larger than BP. Even the fed dropped the ball on
regulation enforcement. (The rig just received a safety award!)

Could be all the millions of dollars Exxon poured into lobbying against regulation and requirements of security valves.

Smoke

Done here.
BP had a cleanup staging area in Pensacola, my hometown, at the Naval Air Station. They decided it wasn't big enough, so they set up a new staging area on Bayou Chico without bothering to inform the city. BP finally decided to give city and county officials a look at what they were doing two weeks after the move. What really got me, though, was this exchange, reported in the Pensacola News Journal.

Councilman Larry B. Johnson asked BP officials if they were committed to ensuring that "100 percent of all contaminants left on this site and in the water are removed before you leave this site?"

[BP spokeman Gary] Stewart said he could "not speculate on that." However, [Steve] Hamilton [(a sub-contractor for BP)] cut in and said the Florida Department of Environmental Protection "would not let (BP) leave until that is done. That is the law."​

Seriously? You can't speculate on that?

bpproposal.jpg

Panda

42?
Premium Member
I can't believe BP. The executives of BP should be tried for war crimes and for mass murder!!! (Yes I am 100% serious). The American gov't should ban them from working in the gulf and other water bodies America has.

Um why?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Could be all the millions of dollars Exxon poured into lobbying against regulation and requirements of security valves.

This is possible. You point out how far reaching the problem is. If BP is crooked, then they are enabled by crooked leaders.
I'll watch with great interest to see how it all plays out. Do you think we (as a country) will all learn from this?

xkatz

Because we only have 1 planet Earth, and they are seriously threatening the environment and animals. If humans ruin Earth to the point that it is no longer safe and/or sustainable, we cannot do much at all about it. To put in a different perspective, if someone trashed your home, would allow them to stay and potentially ruin your home?

Panda

42?
Premium Member
Because we only have 1 planet Earth, and they are seriously threatening the environment and animals. If humans ruin Earth to the point that it is no longer safe and/or sustainable, we cannot do much at all about it. To put in a different perspective, if someone trashed your home, would allow them to stay and potentially ruin your home?

Still not sure where the war crimes and mass murder come in.

dust1n

Zindīq
BP had a cleanup staging area in Pensacola, my hometown, at the Naval Air Station. They decided it wasn't big enough, so they set up a new staging area on Bayou Chico without bothering to inform the city. BP finally decided to give city and county officials a look at what they were doing two weeks after the move. What really got me, though, was this exchange, reported in the Pensacola News Journal.
Councilman Larry B. Johnson asked BP officials if they were committed to ensuring that "100 percent of all contaminants left on this site and in the water are removed before you leave this site?"

[BP spokeman Gary] Stewart said he could "not speculate on that." However, [Steve] Hamilton [(a sub-contractor for BP)] cut in and said the Florida Department of Environmental Protection "would not let (BP) leave until that is done. That is the law."​
Seriously? You can't speculate on that?

This does not even include the other externalities of their actions. The oil spill pretty much killed our tourism (one of the largest contributors to the city) right at the beginning of the season. No money comes in, all beach businesses have fired their summer help and now, in a city with already high unemployment, those workers are forced to move back inland to compete with others for work. The fishing industry died, the hospitality industry died, etc. We will not be compensated in anyway, and will be luck if the water is even safe to swim in over the next year.

xkatz

Still not sure where the war crimes and mass murder come in.

Because they are technically killing innocent animals and they are waging way upon the Earth in my opinion. It's all for good measure. They don't deserve to sell gas in this country even IMO.

Smoke

Done here.
This does not even include the other externalities of their actions. The oil spill pretty much killed our tourism (one of the largest contributors to the city) right at the beginning of the season. No money comes in, all beach businesses have fired their summer help and now, in a city with already high unemployment, those workers are forced to move back inland to compete with others for work. The fishing industry died, the hospitality industry died, etc. We will not be compensated in anyway, and will be luck if the water is even safe to swim in over the next year.

I've been really upset about this. I was telling John I might go home for a couple days just to go walk on the beach, because I don't know how much longer I'll be able to do that. At the moment, the oil is actually moving away from Pensacola Beach, which is a relief, but it doesn't help those poor folks in Louisiana. And nobody can predict anything more than 72 hours out. And hurricane season starts Tuesday. This is so ****** up.

I know we'll be lucky to get them to pay for the cleanup, but I really think BP ought to have to compensate every community on the Gulf. Even that wouldn't really help the countless individuals whose lives they've screwed up, but it would at least be some kind of acknowledgement of what they've done.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Cold comfort, I'm sure, but we're probably looking at the beginning of a boom time for lawyers specializing in class action suits and maritime law.

Panda

42?
Premium Member
Because they are technically killing innocent animals and they are waging way upon the Earth in my opinion. It's all for good measure. They don't deserve to sell gas in this country even IMO.

Still not seeing the war crimes here or the mass murder. Murder only applies to humans and is intentional.