• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Don't You Get it?

BSM1

What? Me worry?
From time-to-time, I look at Abraham Lincoln and continue to find him truly exceptional in many ways. He understood this when he said or wrote:

Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right.

No offense, but that also borders on the ridiculous when it comes to "God". God could never be right nor could God ever be wrong. This would make God as fallible as humans.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
I was being flippant. Perhaps a God just shakes it's head and goes back to watching soap operas. I can't claim to know the nature of a God, I don't exactly hang out with any in my free time.

Nor can anyone when it comes to God.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Because that's a human limitation. A higher being is presumably, well, higher than that.
If a God can feel pain, then it only logically follows that a God can die or even be killed. It conjures up images of a God of War type scenario. Which is cool but problematic.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Because that's a human limitation. A higher being is presumably, well, higher than that.
If a God can feel pain, then it only logically follows that a God can die or even be killed. It conjures up images of a God of War type scenario. Which is cool but problematic.
I understand your point. There are some "howevers" IMO. Of course we assume that feeling "pain" is only a human trait but who is to know that? Maybe we are an expression of sorts of who He is? It is conceivable that if we have emotions, that He created it in us and, maybe, He has emotions too?

Certainly, I am looking at it within the Christian perspective which would be different that others. In Christian perspective, pain doesn't have to be physical. One's heart is in pain with we loose a loved one.

If, as Christian believe, Jesus was part of God manifest in the flesh then He did experience physical pain and now understands our pain.

In the end, we will simple retreat to our corners and believe what we believe.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Technically that's anthropomorphising God. People like to do that. I question such an interpretation not because I think it's wrong or anything. But because I think we should try to be free of limiting ourselves when it comes to God. Placing our limitations upon him/her/it is to claim that God is limited.
I can see why a lot of people would see it that way, but IMO, we don't have to anthropomorphize God. He is the Father of our spirits and we are His offspring. We were created "in His image" and that means exactly what it says. We are of the same species as He is.

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
I can see why a lot of people would see it that way, but IMO, we don't have to anthropomorphize God. He is the Father of our spirits and we are His offspring. We were created "in His image" and that means exactly what it says. We are of the same species as He is.
If we're the same species, why only the father and not the mother? I mean human reproduction requires both male and female. If women exist and if they're created in the image of God then it stands to reason that there is a female facet of God as well. Otherwise women would not be in the same image, right?

Last edited:

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
I understand your point. There are some "howevers" IMO. Of course we assume that feeling "pain" is only a human trait but who is to know that? Maybe we are an expression of sorts of who He is? It is conceivable that if we have emotions, that He created it in us and, maybe, He has emotions too?

Certainly, I am looking at it within the Christian perspective which would be different that others. In Christian perspective, pain doesn't have to be physical. One's heart is in pain with we loose a loved one.

If, as Christian believe, Jesus was part of God manifest in the flesh then He did experience physical pain and now understands our pain.

In the end, we will simple retreat to our corners and believe what we believe.
Well if that's the case, does God feel pain differently to us, given that God is a higher being? And furthermore how does that manifest? Could it be reflected in creation?

Last edited:

pearl

"The emphasis tended to be laid sometimes on one side of the paradox, and sometimes on the other, but Cyril was always concern not to detract either from the integrity of human nature or from the integrity of divine nature. On the one hand the notion of divine passibility would appear to call in question the steadfastness or immutability of God in face of the pressure of outside forces upon him as if he could be moved by what is other than God. On the other hand the notion of divine impassibility would evidently exclude the possibility of any real movement of God in a loving and vicarious self-identification with us in the incarnation and redemption which would posit a deep gulf between God as he is in himself and God as he is towards us. On the other hand, therefore, we cannot but hold that God is impassible in the sense that he remains eternally and changelessly the same, but on the other hand, we cannot but hold that God is passible in that what he is not by nature he became in taking upon himself ‘the form of a servant’. He became one of us and one with us in Jesus Christ within the conditions and limits of our creaturely human existence and experience in space and time, although without in any way ceasing to be God who is transcendent over all space and time. That is surely how we must think of the passibility and impassibility of God: their conjunction is as incomprehensible as the mode of the union of God and man in Christ. Just as in creation and incarnation God acted in entirely new ways while remaining unchanged in his divine nature, just as he became man without ceasing to be God and became creature without ceasing to be creator, so he became passible without ceasing to be impassible in another sense."

http://www.sdmorrison.org/t-f-torrance-on-the-passible-impassibility-of-god/

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Are we bothered what bugs think? When they annoy us we squish them

God is as interested in us. as we are in the fortunes of individual bugs.

The relationship between God and mankind is clearly on a different level.
Until we learn how to "love" our fellow man. The reality of God wil make almost no sense.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
If we're the same species, why only the father and not the mother? I mean human reproduction requires both male and female. If women exist and if they're created in the image of God then it stands to reason that there is a female facet of God as well. Otherwise women would not be in the same image, right?
Agreed. I believe we have a Mother in Heaven as well as a Father in Heaven.