• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

DON'T FORGET YOUR SERPENTS

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
PAGANS - Don't forget to wear your serpents, - on Serpents Never Left Day, - March 17th.

I'll be wearing my Serpent Necklace.

[GALLERY=media, 4888]Snake Necklace by Ingledsva posted Feb 28, 2015 at 12:22 AM[/GALLERY]

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
You know, if memory serves, the "St. Patrick drove the snakes from Ireland" thing is bunk because there were never any snakes in Ireland to begin with.

I am just as deserving a Holiday in my honour, for I drove all the Jabberwockies from Florida. Why don't I get a day of binge-drinking!?

BSM1

What? Me worry?
The real question is: Are you a Catholic polytheist or a Protestant polytheist?

Funny Story. I was asked that question (without the polytheist part) by an English gentleman in 1972 at a stopover at Heathrow airport. I was in the military but we were required to fly in civilian clothes. He must have thought I was definitely part of the IRA; it took me a minute to realize what he was asking me. "Neither!" I finally blurted out. "American!"

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
Funny Story. I was asked that question (without the polytheist part) by an English gentleman in 1972 at a stopover at Heathrow airport. I was in the military but we were required to fly in civilian clothes. He must have thought I was definitely part of the IRA; it took me a minute to realize what he was asking me. "Neither!" I finally blurted out. "American!"
CATHOLIC NEITHER OR PROTESTANT NEITHER!

Reactions: gsa

GoodbyeDave

The real question is: Are you a Catholic polytheist or a Protestant polytheist?
I remember hearing that joke (or rather the original) in Belfast way back.

A waiter from an Indian restaurant is walking home down the Crumlin Road when he's stopped by two tough-looking men.
"Hey man! Are ye a Protestant or a Catholic?"
"Excuse me, I am a Hindu."
"I can see that, man — d'ye think I'm an eejit? But are ye a Protestant or a Catholic Hindu?"

Even in the troubles, we could still see the funny side of ourselves.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Well then that settles it. Henceforth, I do declare that December 22nd shall be Saint Nietzsche's Day. For that is when I drove the Jabberwockies from Florida, and banished the Balrog from the Appalachian mountains!

That was you?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Was "snakes" really used as a symbolic driving of "wicked (pagan) people" out of Ireland? Where is the source? Somewhere I can better educate myself on this?

That's what some scholars think, yes. Whether or not it is actually true has been questioned. I am hardly well-appraised enough in this field of scholarship to make a good assessment. I don't care enough to take the effort required to sort it out. I have never liked St. Patrick's Day, and I don't acknowledge it in any way.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
You know, if memory serves, the "St. Patrick drove the snakes from Ireland" thing is bunk because there were never any snakes in Ireland to begin with.

I am just as deserving a Holiday in my honour, for I drove all the Jabberwockies from Florida. Why don't I get a day of binge-drinking!?

Correct. The serpents - are actually the Heathen/Pagan religions. They of course actually never went anywhere. They are in fact growing today.

So - I thought we Heathens/Pagans should counter the Bull, - with SERPENTS NEVER LEFT DAY.

When people ask why you are wearing serpents, it opens a chance for you to explain the facts, and of course to tell them about revival heathen/Paganism, not just in Ireland, but worldwide.

Last edited: