• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Donating Old Clothes

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Other than I shelter I'm not sure. I wear my clothes until they're rags (they generally go from general wear, to house wear, to gym wear, to laundry day wear, to being beyond redemption).
My husband and I used to share pants... we both like the really baggy 90s style stuff
Is there any other proper way to dress?:confused:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Yeah. You know that feeling when you dated a girl and you ended up with one of her t-shirts by accident and it's cool, and then after you break up you're wearing it when you run into her accidentally? Awkward.
Nah. My ex and I used to just wear eachother's clothes.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Is there any other proper way to dress?:confused:

I don't know if its proper, but I've branched out a lot. I do still have one pair of 90s style pants(that fit), but a lot of my stuff currently is really random and inspired by clothing from different times and places. I wear a lot of salwar kameez. They're easy to put on and chase kids in.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
A lot of the stores that do resell them are nonprofit and the proceeds go toward charity.

I have seen dubious things about some of them and how many cents to the dollar actually goes to helping people in some way, but I guess since I don't know the specifics off the top of my head, I need to do more real research.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
I have always donated my clothes to the Church.

I don't donate to a lot of religious orgs because many discriminate or coerce with preaching while distributing aid. Not all of them do, but enough that I thoroughly try to research the particular org's habits before donating.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
So, I've got a ton of clothes I don't wear much anymore that I should probably donate. I don't like donating to discriminatory organizations or orgs that turn around and sell them.

Anybody know of solutions to these caveats?

I've considered womens' shelters, I may need to look into their practices locally. I know some that do good work, but I don't know how they operate in terms of donations.
I probably would look at a charity watch.

I usually stay the safe route and give to Goodwill or the Salvation Army.

Goodwill on a note has had some shady issues in the past involving donations and such but I don't see it as being widespread.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
I probably would look at a charity watch.

I usually stay the safe route and give to Goodwill or the Salvation Army.

Goodwill on a note has had some shady issues in the past involving donations and such but I don't see it as being widespread.

I've heard some sordid things about SA as well. Enough so that they were put on the "no" list, I'd have to remind myself why. It's been a while since I've donated clothes. Have largely done food.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I've heard some sordid things about SA as well. Enough so that they were put on the "no" list, I'd have to remind myself why. It's been a while since I've donated clothes. Have largely done food.
My faith was destroyed when various investigations revealed just how donations and dollars are being used out there.

How much actually goes to its intended purpose and how much just goes back out of the door, transformEd into 'free cash' instead without ever being recieved by someone who actually needs it and winds up predictably in the pockets of executives and CEOs instead.

I think smaller grass route organizations are more honest and trustworthy than the big names out there.

I have to say that probably intercity missions and churches are ones best bets.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
My faith was destroyed when various investigations revealed just how donations and dollars are being used out there.

How much actually goes to its intended purpose and how much just goes back out of the door, transformEd into 'free cash' instead without ever being recieved by someone who actually needs it and winds up predictably in the pockets of executives and CEOs instead.

I think smaller grass route organizations are more honest and trustworthy than the big names out there.

I have to say that probably intercity missions and churches are ones best bets.

Possibly. I've worked with secular charitable orgs locally and we've sort of navigated this weird web of churches willing to work with us. For instance we relied on some church kitchens to make food that we helped distribute, but at a certain point they wanted to be too preachy and coercive whereas we just wanted hungry people to have food; so we cut ties and had to find alternative means.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I don't donate to a lot of religious orgs because many discriminate or coerce with preaching while distributing aid. Not all of them do, but enough that I thoroughly try to research the particular org's habits before donating.
I donate clothing to a Christian run thrift store. This works out
well cuz they resell the stuff cheap, & I often buy stuff on trips
to donate stuff. The poor don't get it free, but they get it cheap.
And no discrimination.
Are they connected with a church that professes evil things?
I've no idea. But it doesn't look like a profit generating venture.
So it would function solely as a very efficient re-use operation.

exchemist

Veteran Member
So, I've got a ton of clothes I don't wear much anymore that I should probably donate. I don't like donating to discriminatory organizations or orgs that turn around and sell them.

Anybody know of solutions to these caveats?

I've considered womens' shelters, I may need to look into their practices locally. I know some that do good work, but I don't know how they operate in terms of donations.
I took a lot of the good clothes my wife had to an organisation that equips poor women to look good at job interviews. It's a cause she would have approved of.

The others I took to a local cancer hospice that runs a chain of shops selling second hand stuff to raise money. (She died of cancer, though actually she never made it to the hospice, as we had planned). They've had a lot of stuff from us over the years. As they are a registered charity, they can claim an extra 25% in tax back from the government, if the goods comes from a taxpayer like me (i.e. the government pays them extra, effectively out of the income tax I have paid, up to 25% of the sale value they realise.)

And stuff that is too worn out I put in the clothing recycling bin, down the street.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
I took a lot of the good clothes my wife had to an organisation that equips poor women to look good at job interviews. It's a cause she would have approved of.

The others I took to a local cancer hospice that runs a chain of shops selling second hand stuff to raise money. (She died of cancer, though actually she never made it to the hospice, as we had planned). They've had a lot of stuff from us over the years. As they are a registered charity, they can claim an extra 25% in tax back from the government, if the goods comes from a taxpayer like me (i.e. the government pays them extra, effectively out of the income tax I have paid, up to 25% of the sale value they realise.)

And stuff that is too worn out I put in the clothing recycling bin, down the street.

Wow I really like the idea of giving people interview clothes! Some of the stuff I don't wear would probably be serviceable as business-casual, too (for after said interviews).

Viker

Häxan
womens' shelters
:handpointup:There.

About every year or two I'll purge my wardrobe. Not every shelter can be trusted to not sell the clothes. But then, the proceeds will likely filter back to the shelter itself.

Last edited:

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe

Yeah I've emailed someone I know connected to a local shelter that has helped a couple people I know. If I don't get a response I'll have a roomie call tomorrow, or have someone call this week. I still need to organize everything to piece together exactly what I have. My room is a war zone since I went closet-diving this last weekend for this date at a speakeasy. Reminded me of all this stuff I'll probably never wear, might as well have someone wear them.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Wow I really like the idea of giving people interview clothes! Some of the stuff I don't wear would probably be serviceable as business-casual, too (for after said interviews).
Here's a link to their website: Donate Clothes - Smart Works

I feel sure something similar must exist where you are.

And also the principle of a charity selling second hand clothing to raise money for their cause may exist in some form, I should think.

I've still got a cupboard full of her shoes, actually. She had quite big feet: size 40 or 41 EU. I'm thinking about taking those to Smartworks, but I don't know if they take shoes. Being a Parisienne, she had a lot of good shoes, so it seems a pity to waste them.